Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

RMS and 987 Boxster

Hi,

I have been searching all over the net on all sorts of porsche sites but i cant find any useful information. The 987 Boxster has been out since 05 and it has already been 2 years almost. My major concern like most who own and want to own a Boxster is its reliability. The major problem that plagued most 986 were the RMS problem. I would like to ask owners of the 987 Boxster to reply in this thread with their experience, especially if they have had RMS issues. Please reply with your YEAR, MODEL, AND ENGINE.

Thankyou,

Tony

A few of the very early 987s came with the old style seal and a few have leaked. The new PTFE seal so far has been perfect, I've yet to hear a single one leak. Having said that, I wouldnt be afraid of an early 987 if its the color combo you want. Even if the rear main does leak, the dealer will install the new seal and you'll be good to go.

A few of the very early 987s came with the old style seal and a few have leaked. The new PTFE seal so far has been perfect, I've yet to hear a single one leak. Having said that, I wouldnt be afraid of an early 987 if its the color combo you want. Even if the rear main does leak, the dealer will install the new seal and you'll be good to go.

Thankyou for your reply. Even if the dealer would repair/replace the RMS problem i would still be weary for future ongoing repairs, such as what some expereinced in the 986s. I would kill myself if i had mulitple RMS in a year! :wacko: But if the new seal was used for the RMS problem in early 987s as in later 987s as you described, that would be very good news!

Edited by Tony Yeung

Hi,

I have been searching all over the net on all sorts of porsche sites but i cant find any useful information. The 987 Boxster has been out since 05 and it has already been 2 years almost. My major concern like most who own and want to own a Boxster is its reliability. The major problem that plagued most 986 were the RMS problem. I would like to ask owners of the 987 Boxster to reply in this thread with their experience, especially if they have had RMS issues. Please reply with your YEAR, MODEL, AND ENGINE.

Thankyou,

Tony

'05 base 987 with 7K miles no leaks from RMS...half quart of oil in the first 2K miles...none since.

Hi,

Thankyou,

Tony

'05 base 987 with 7K miles no leaks from RMS...half quart of oil in the first 2K miles...none since.

2005 987S 24,000 miles (picked up in 3/05--first boat shipment of custom ordered cars for US.)

No RMS leak. Power steering leaks at rack and pump on 2 different occasions.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

just posted my predicament on 986forum.. i bought couple weeks ago a 2005 Boxster S 2.3L 987... the engine had some whirling/cranking noise. took it to dealer in hong kong.. and they said they need to replace a new engine! i was really upset because i had a 1998 base model 986, 70K KMS and 9 year old ...NO ISSUES.

i have yet to see the formal diagnosis and report. the only thing to thank-god is the car is under warranty and i think i dont have to pay anything. heard from other members it may be related to intermediate-shaft failure.

HK your a bit off topic with your post. intermediate shaft failure isn't caused by an RMS leak , more likely a batch of defective parts from the factory , therefore likely to be the exception rather than the norm. Please keep the forum updated with the progress , but don't worry that its a common or usual problem because it isn't.The RMS leak referred to , relates to a known and re occuring problem seen with the 986/ 996 engines, which now seems to be improved on the 987/997. The gearbox was removed on my 987s which is a september 2004 build with 24k (miles) on the clock. No sign of any issue with the RMS , so it was decided not to change it. The work carried out was to replace the dual mass flywheel and clutch which had started to slip occasionally.

• 2 weeks later...

Would there have been any notations as to VIN sequence when the 'new style' RMS was installed? Since the factory only dated the manufacture of the vehicle by month/year this might be a reasonable assumption? I'm not losing any sleep over the issue, but am just curious what side of the fence my 987 is on for future reference.