Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

coolant leaked all out of my box

i was at a light and a driver next to me noticed that 'something green' was leaking out of my car.

well all the coolant leaked out, and it was smoking couse it leaked all over the cats or something hot under there.

i topped it off with water and drove it home like this, what can i do now?

i took the carpet out of the trunk and no leaks in the tank...no coolant anywhere in the trunk, not a dropwhat else can i check?

i topped it off with water, and drove it home, didnt leak anywhere at all, the temp gauge needle was at `80 the whole time, but the little red light on the right side would come on and flast randomly.

Edited by djomlas

i was at a light and a driver next to me noticed that 'something green' was leaking out of my car.

well all the coolant leaked out, and it was smoking couse it leaked all over the cats or something hot under there.

i topped it off with water and drove it home like this, what can i do now?

i took the carpet out of the trunk and no leaks in the tank...no coolant anywhere in the trunk, not a dropwhat else can i check?

i topped it off with water, and drove it home, didnt leak anywhere at all, the temp gauge needle was at `80 the whole time, but the little red light on the right side would come on and flast randomly.

Just to make sure everyone understands why the coolant would leak when only the cap was faulty.

Water boils at 100C every one pound of presure raises the boil temperature by two degrees, all caps have a preset force when they will release excessive pressure, typically 15 pounds, this means water will need to be at 130 degrees before it boils.

If the cap is damaged and no cap force then the water boils at 100c and expands, the expansion is vented underneath the car.

Glyn

just trying to be helpful, not showing off :clapping:

• 4 months later...

If it all came out at once like that then I would think it is just a hose or hose clamp ?

Edit to add - just realize you said it didn't leak at all on the way home. Ok, I am at a loss then if no tank crack and you have the new 01 cap...

Edited by rushrevisited

• 2 weeks later...

Quick one

you mention "an older cap" is there an issue with the original filler cap then.

I ask cause I have had similar issue where coolant has vented through the cap when my car temperature has risen over normal operating temperature (stuck in traffic or something)

Cheers

Russ

• Admin
Quick one

you mention "an older cap" is there an issue with the original filler cap then.

I ask cause I have had similar issue where coolant has vented through the cap when my car temperature has risen over normal operating temperature (stuck in traffic or something)

Cheers

Russ

If you cap part number ends in "00" -- then it needs to be replaced with the "01" version.

If your cap leaks (regardless of the part number) - it needs to be replaced.

i think anyone that has one with 00 should replace it, regardless if it already leaks or not, 17 bux at the dealer will get that out of the way one less thing to worry about.

and fab, yes the one i replaced it with is oem from dealer, ending with 01, $17 here at a local pdealer