Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Thicker Oil Stopping RMS Leaks?

I was talking to a fellow porsche enthusiast a few days ago about my leaking oil problem, and mentioned that it seemed to get much worse after i did an oil change with new Mobil 1 0w-40. This was the first oil change done with the car in my possession. My friend told me to take the oil out and use something different/heavier like castrol 15w-50 and see if that stops the leak. Apparently he had 3 friends with porsches do this exact thing and all of their leaking problems were gone??? has anyone ever heard of this before????

Also, he mentioned using an oil additive such as STP product that may beef up the seal a little bit?!?

Has anyone tried either of these remedys for our nasty leaky RMS's?!?!?

STP will not "beef up" the seal and I don't see how a different weight of oil will reduce a RMS leak when things are up to temperature. Best to take it to a good indie or Porsche dealer to find the cause of the leak if it is indeed a RMS and follow thier recommendations.

I know form experience that thinner oils will definately weep, seep, and leak faster and leave their trace faster and more noticeably than heavier ones. This is a problem also on some vehicles when switching from a paraffin base to a synthetic oil. I would not recommend any additives, especially like STP that increase the viscosity so much when cold that getting critical lubrication to areas furthest from the oil pump upon startup could be a problem. STP is for old worn out motors with very loose tolerances. If you want to try a heavier oil, I would use a 10w 40, you probably don't need the 50 weight when hot.

The suggestion was to use an additive to swell the seals and then change your oil to a 5W50 or 15W50. Claims that the oil in moderate temperatures will not get to engine componants as fast is as old as oil is and, even tho not true, has become accepted as fact.

The fact is that the thicker oil in moderate temperature at time of a cold startup will flow the same volume of oil, just as quickly as will a less viscious oil. You oil pump is a positive displacement pump and moves a specific volume of oil, regardless of thickness.

Didn't anyone here ever conduct the flow test in lab in high school? Within reason (in this case, very cold temps) A 15W50 oil driven through a 50 foot 1/8 inch tube will reach the outlet at the same time as will a 0W40 oil when driven by a crank powered positive displacement pump. Pressure is higher using the 15W50, but flow is equal.

If you are opposed to using the proper seal additive before you change your oil, simply add a quart of any viscosity dyno oil and drive the car for a week,

I was talking to a fellow porsche enthusiast a few days ago about my leaking oil problem, and mentioned that it seemed to get much worse after i did an oil change with new Mobil 1 0w-40. This was the first oil change done with the car in my possession. My friend told me to take the oil out and use something different/heavier like castrol 15w-50 and see if that stops the leak. Apparently he had 3 friends with porsches do this exact thing and all of their leaking problems were gone??? has anyone ever heard of this before????

Also, he mentioned using an oil additive such as STP product that may beef up the seal a little bit?!?

Has anyone tried either of these remedys for our nasty leaky RMS's?!?!?

Not completely certain of my facts here, but didn't RMS/IMS problems manifest before the Porsche mandated switch to 0W40? Put another way, if going to 15W50 or other blend was the solution to a chronic problem, aren't the engineers at Porsche a bunch of dummies for spending millions replacing engines when they could have fixed the problem with an e-mail? True, seals and installation processes have evolved since early M96 motors came out, but wouldn't it be better to try the new 997 seal first before heading off the "reservation" with blends or additives not on the "list?" Lastly, doesn't the oil in an M96 motor serve a hydraulic as well as lubricating function? What is the effect of the more viscous oil (cold) on its performance as hydraulic fluid and what are implications for health of the motor. Afterall, all you have now is an oil leak.