Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

ragtop tension

I have been looking for the fix on my ragtop. When I "karate chop" my plastic window on colds days the passenger side does not follow the groove when I close the top. Can someone direct me to the thread or the fix to eliminate me having have to stop the top and guide the fabric into the groove. I would like to install one of "one-touch" operation for my top. In the origianl thread a spring was mentioned. I am not sure where that spring is.

Ben

I thinking of getting some kind of elastic bands and mounting them from the interior edges of the plastic window folding points (both sides) to something near the rollbar to pull area i want to fold in towards the rear seats. Only issue i see with this is the elastic losing its elastisity.

post-12946-1167758617.jpg

using the plastic window when the temp is below 50 degrees F is a recipe for failure. it's bulls**t, but that's the way it is...

the window is not flexible enough at colder temps to be safely used, especially an older window which has lost much of its flexibility to sun damage, wear, etc. i am guessing that this is the reason that it is not folding correctly.

now, if you drove your car top up with the heat on for an hour, the window may absorb enough heat to be pliable. but unless you want to replace that plastic window sooner than later, i'd leave the top up until the weather is warmer. just my $.02.

does the top fold correctly when the temp is warmer? is this a 'plastic window' issue or a 'fabric' issue? where exactly is the groove that you mention? do you have a pic?

using the plastic window when the temp is below 50 degrees F is a recipe for failure. it's bulls**t, but that's the way it is...

the window is not flexible enough at colder temps to be safely used, especially an older window which has lost much of its flexibility to sun damage, wear, etc. i am guessing that this is the reason that it is not folding correctly.

now, if you drove your car top up with the heat on for an hour, the window may absorb enough heat to be pliable. but unless you want to replace that plastic window sooner than later, i'd leave the top up until the weather is warmer. just my $.02.

does the top fold correctly when the temp is warmer? is this a 'plastic window' issue or a 'fabric' issue? where exactly is the groove that you mention? do you have a pic?

The groove is part of the hard plastice frame and it is the passenger side that does it. The top does function as advertise both in warm and cold weather. The problem comes and goes at time the canvas follow the groove without me guiding it. No photo I will post them this week end after replacing the boot on the half shaft.

I have been looking for the fix on my ragtop. When I "karate chop" my plastic window on colds days the passenger side does not follow the groove when I close the top. Can someone direct me to the thread or the fix to eliminate me having have to stop the top and guide the fabric into the groove. I would like to install one of "one-touch" operation for my top. In the origianl thread a spring was mentioned. I am not sure where that spring is.

Ben

are you talking about this thread:Top fail to close properly

If this is the issue you are talking about, your problem is a leaf spring that has become to loose and does not pull the roof fabric sufficiently.

Here is the picture of the spring

307721528_17e171f864_o.jpg

What you need to do according to the TSB is remove it and flip it other before installing it back

you should also apply lubricant to the place the spring pushes on the roof

Ben

If this is the issue you are talking about, your problem is a leaf spring that has become to loose and does not pull the roof fabric sufficiently.

What you need to do according to the TSB is remove it and flip it other before installing it back

Hey, you owe me royalties for my picture :( - just kidding. Glad it's helping someone out :)

Mine cracked (old window) on a 64 degree day! Didn't even think I had anything to worry about!

Ben

:notworthy: Yes, that is what I was talking about. thank you for the detailed info. As far as the royalty. if you ever in my area drop me a line and a deer is in order. After I post this thread I manage to reach the previous owner and acknowledge that the top was replaced, hence why the problem.

Ben

Yes, that is what I was talking about. thank you for the detailed info. As far as the royalty. if you ever in my area drop me a line and a deer is in order. After I post this thread I manage to reach the previous owner and acknowledge that the top was replaced, hence why the problem.

Ben

The same problem has happened to me after a top replacement and I was/still am unhappy at the upholstery shop which found the issue told me about it and said they spent a couple days looking for fix without finding one. There is an official Bulletin on it they should have known specially if a guy like me who doesn't know anything about mechanics and soft tops can find the fix on the internet in a matter of ours.

This being said, the fact that it often happens after replacing a top makes me think that to do so (replace the top) the shop has to remove this spring and more often than not put it back in the improper position. Or that the process of replacing the top puts too much tension on the spring making it loose its original shape (hence the need to reverse it).

Anybody has any thoughts about that

Benoit

Yes, that is what I was talking about. thank you for the detailed info. As far as the royalty. if you ever in my area drop me a line and a deer is in order. After I post this thread I manage to reach the previous owner and acknowledge that the top was replaced, hence why the problem.

Ben

The same problem has happened to me after a top replacement and I was/still am unhappy at the upholstery shop which found the issue told me about it and said they spent a couple days looking for fix without finding one. There is an official Bulletin on it they should have known specially if a guy like me who doesn't know anything about mechanics and soft tops can find the fix on the internet in a matter of ours.

This being said, the fact that it often happens after replacing a top makes me think that to do so (replace the top) the shop has to remove this spring and more often than not put it back in the improper position. Or that the process of replacing the top puts too much tension on the spring making it loose its original shape (hence the need to reverse it).

Anybody has any thoughts about that

Benoit

Since my parts did not arrived to replace the boot on the short shaft I did fix the top problem. When I removed the sping it was curve towards me, then I saw why it was not give the tension required for the top to follow the groove. If anyone is replacing a top in the near future make sure the spring is flex or vent away from you or looking like an upside down bowl. Thank you for the info. Now I can get the "one touch" switch. Additionally, any did the "hack" to open or close the top without applying the hand brake or while going at slow speed?

Ben