Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Want to See Leaky Spark Plug Tubes?

I replaced all my spark plug tubes this weekend. 3 of the 6 were leaking. Here are some pics.

Before:

post-12517-1175018473_thumb.jpg

Leaky Tubes:

post-12517-1175018582_thumb.jpg

post-12517-1175018620_thumb.jpg

post-12517-1175018643_thumb.jpg

post-12517-1175018660_thumb.jpg

After (I cleaned up the motor and sprayed my cans with high heat paint):

post-12517-1175018757_thumb.jpg

post-12517-1175018831_thumb.jpg

post-12517-1175018852_thumb.jpg

post-12517-1175018873_thumb.jpg

What an easy job. I also put in new plugs. Of the 3 leaking tubes, one actually had oil pooled inside. I put all new tubes and seals in. They all popped right out with my thumb. I would also suggest taking the rear body panel off as it gives great access and only takes about 30 minutes to remove it and the mufflers. The passenger side of the motor requires the muffler mount to come off as it is off set and you can't get to one of the tubes with it on. The driver's side of the motor does not require removing the muffler mount since it sits right over the center cylinder and gives a cavity to work your tools in.

-g

Nice pics and thanks for sharing your project. Thinking of taking on similar on my 99 996 as just dropped the mufflers for some bypass pipes and thinking I can get in there pretty easily. Can you give me an idea on how the tubes fit/come out? do the plugs have to come out? is there any kind of sealant that goes with the new tubes to hold them in? what did it set you back for parts? Thanks in advance.

Edited by racerx

Nice pics and thanks for sharing your project. Thinking of taking on similar on my 99 996 as just dropped the mufflers for some bypass pipes and thinking I can get in there pretty easily. Can you give me an idea on how the tubes fit/come out? do the plugs have to come out? is there any kind of sealant that goes with the new tubes to hold them in? what did it set you back for parts? Thanks in advance.

You do not need to remove anything to get to the tubes. Mufflers and bumper stay on. Tubes often come out by simply inserting your thumb or finger, bending it firmly and pulling. Adds a few minutes to a spark plug change. No sealant is used.

Edited by 1999Porsche911

You don't HAVE TO remove the mufflers. But, as I said for the 30 minutes it takes to remove the rear valance and the mufflers, it's totally worth it for the access. You don't have to remove the plugs but my car has 55K on the clock and it was time to replace them. Parts from pelican were about $130 including plugs ($65). You do need to lube up the o-rings to help them seal nicely. Hope this helps.

-g

Edited by geoffbaltz

You don't HAVE TO remove the mufflers. But, as I said for the 30 minutes it takes to remove the rear valance and the mufflers, it's totally worth it for the access. You don't have to remove the plugs but my car has 55K on the clock and it was time to replace them. Parts from pelican were about $130 including plugs ($65). You do need to lube up the o-rings to help them seal nicely. Hope this helps.

-g

I see you have the PSE mufflers...or are those the MKII muffler modification? I have a new set of the MKII mufflers to install on my 99. Would you say that the fender is easy enough to get off that it would facilitate a muffler install by taking off the fenders like you did? Is there a DIY for fender removal? I have never had the bumper or fenders off and don't know where all the nuts and bolts are.

-g

I see you have the PSE mufflers...or are those the MKII muffler modification? I have a new set of the MKII mufflers to install on my 99. Would you say that the fender is easy enough to get off that it would facilitate a muffler install by taking off the fenders like you did? Is there a DIY for fender removal? I have never had the bumper or fenders off and don't know where all the nuts and bolts are.

Nothing has to come off for putting mufflers on either. Not even the wheels. Just jack the side of the car up, remove the 3 muffler nuts loosen 2 nuts on CAT clamp and the mufler will slide right out behind the wheels.

Edited by 1999Porsche911

Chuck,

If you want to remove the bumpers, here is the picture for 2001 or lower MY. For 2002 or newer there are no bolts under the bumperetes, all else is the same. You want to remove the tail lights first, which after opnening the rear bonnet, use a 10mm socket to removet he bolt holing the light, then the lights pulls out.

post-4600-1175347672_thumb.png

Once you remove the bumper cove, on each side of the mufflers you will see the shiny heat shields, they are held in place with 10mm nuts, remove them (and dont' forget the one behind the wheel well) and you have the mufflers exposed. I like to rais the rear of my car to do this, so is use the rear ramps, just drive up on reverse, no need for the wheels to come off for muffler.

post-4600-1175347871_thumb.png

You don't have to, but it does make the job a lot easier for me to have the car raised on the back and the bumpers and shields off. Short time to remove, less hassle to do the work plus plenty of sunlight to work through. Just my opinion.

Izzy

You don't need to remove the bumper to do the mufflers. Jack the car up, remove the rear wheels, and you have enough room to remove the mufflers. I CHOSE to remove the bumper and mufflers to get to the plug tubes as I had more room to work and more light to see what I was doing. As I stated earlier, for the 30 minutes it takes to remove the bumper and the mufflers, I think it's a no brainer if you are doing the plugs/tubes.

-g

Those are MKII mufflers, I got them from a guy who had them modified and didn't like them and ended up doing something different. My car has Supersprint cat-bypass pipes as well. The car can be driven quitely around town if you drive smooth. When I get on it, it is loud. It has a real nice cup car sound at the track. I definitely gained HP. Next is the K&N intake.

i changed my spark plugs a few months ago, and had a difficult time trying to pull the tubes out. and gave up. should they come out pretty easy? and i even tried using a the head of a screwdriver like above, but could not get them out. Can you usually pull them out with your fingers?

thanks.

• Admin
i changed my spark plugs a few months ago, and had a difficult time trying to pull the tubes out. and gave up. should they come out pretty easy? and i even tried using a the head of a screwdriver like above, but could not get them out. Can you usually pull them out with your fingers?

thanks.

Porsche's recommended tool (commercially available) and how to use it...

post-1-1175734730.png

post-1-1175734733_thumb.png

I don't mean to seem thick, but what the heck do these spark plug tubes do? Are they a normal wear item and should I plan on replacing them when I change my spark plugs?

thanks.

Porsche's recommended tool (commercially available) and how to use it...

post-1-1175734730.png

post-1-1175734733_thumb.png

thanks Loren. Can you get these at sunset or is there another place?