Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Thinking of getting a 1997 boxster

First off I am new to the forum and I hope you guys can help me. I am considering buying a 1997 boxster that is a theft recovery. here is the story.

here are the parts that were stolen

1. ignition

2. guage pod

3. half the exhaust.

4. the stereo

5. the climate controls

6. the front bumper

7. several trim pieces.

and at this point this has all been replaced except the stereo by the person with the car. the car will turn over if you jumper the solonoid but will not start as of right now but I wouldnt think that it would with the ignition being replaced Im sure that would effect the imobilizer and I would have to take it to the dealer to have it flashed. anyway the seller wants $9K for the car and here are my questions.

1. Does this price seem fair for what you know about the car?

2. All the other options on the car should work even if the imobilizer wont let the car start right?? like the dash lights, power windows, head lights turn signals, ect

3. the hole for the stereo isnt something special is it??? I mean an aftermarket stereo will fit without too much effort?

4. would you buy the car?? I am very mechanically inclined but the security stuff on this car scares me I would hate to buy it and then have to have a dealer do all the work. other then flashing the key

Thanks guys and thanks in advance for the help I attached some pics and yes the poor car is filthy..

post-18790-1176563165_thumb.jpg

post-18790-1176563179_thumb.jpg

post-18790-1176563188_thumb.jpg

post-18790-1176563199_thumb.jpg

post-18790-1176563210_thumb.jpg

post-18790-1176563218_thumb.jpg

Edited by 1raptor

First off I am new to the forum and I hope you guys can help me. I am considering buying a 1997 boxster that is a theft recovery. here is the story.

here are the parts that were stolen

1. ignition

2. guage pod

3. half the exhaust.

4. the stereo

5. the climate controls

6. the front bumper

7. several trim pieces.

and at this point this has all been replaced except the stereo by the person with the car. the car will turn over if you jumper the solonoid but will not start as of right now but I wouldnt think that it would with the ignition being replaced Im sure that would effect the imobilizer and I would have to take it to the dealer to have it flashed. anyway the seller wants $9K for the car and here are my questions.

1. Does this price seem fair for what you know about the car?

2. All the other options on the car should work even if the imobilizer wont let the car start right?? like the dash lights, power windows, head lights turn signals, ect

3. the hole for the stereo isnt something special is it??? I mean an aftermarket stereo will fit without too much effort?

4. would you buy the car?? I am very mechanically inclined but the security stuff on this car scares me I would hate to buy it and then have to have a dealer do all the work. other then flashing the key

Thanks guys and thanks in advance for the help I attached some pics and yes the poor car is filthy..

ANYONE???

Have a bit of patience, mate, there's only six hours between your two posts!

Answer to 3: standard iso hole in the dash.

Don't know about the immobiliser stuff, hopefully someone will be along soon.

Sorry Im a bit ancy but I need to make a decision by tomorrow

THanks

Have a bit of patience, mate, there's only six hours between your two posts!

Answer to 3: standard iso hole in the dash.

Don't know about the immobiliser stuff, hopefully someone will be along soon.

Sorry Im a bit ancy but I need to make a decision by tomorrow

THanks

I also would not do this at 9K. Too many issues. If you look hard you can probably find a nicely maintained 97 for under 15K. Just my two cents worth.

• Moderators

You posted your message in the broken top section, rather than the general 986 section.

Something is not right with the front bumper cover. Can't believe someone would steal a Becker 210 radio.

I have a January 1997 that I have owned for 8 years.

As others have said, pass on that one. That poor 2.5 should have been sold as a Boxster spec racing project.

Thanks guys I think I am going to pass with all the response here plus I have been talking myself out of it all day If we had a dealer closer by I might do it but if I couldnt get it right I would have to trailer it back and forth 3hrs thanks again

Whats the deal with the leather in the 1997 models, its always in such poor condition

Ya and 1999 911's are horrible too.

Don't you just wonder when the deal has to be done.... Pressure on...buy today or gone tomorrow.

Better to wait for that extra clean one, i think.