Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Anyone with an 'S' Rear Rotor Handy?

you could remove a wheel and measure. ;)

dude, i'm not THAT lazy... i just don't have an S. i have a base boxster that i'm going to install 'S' rear rotors / calipers on. i don't have the S rotors yet. i'm trying to figure out whether i will have any issues with the rotor offset, i.e. will the rotor center in the caliper, or will i need to shim it, and if so, how much?

• Moderators
i need measurements of the rotor hat depth and diameter. i have 's' calipers to install on my base box. the fronts were a snap; not sure if i'll run into offset issues in the rear. anyone?

You cannot mount the factory "S" rear rotors on a base because the S car uses different suspension components (hubs) and have a different e-brake diameter (caused by the use of the 6 speed gearbox). Having covered that, you can obtain "S" diameter rotors from Brembo that are internally machined to "base" e-brake diameters, allowing the use of "S" brakes on a base car without changing over the suspension items (read big $). They simply bolt right on, no other mods. If memeory serves, the trick rotors are about $270 pair.......

Edited by JFP in PA

You cannot mount the factory "S" rear rotors on a base because the S car uses different suspension components (hubs) and have a different e-brake diameter (caused by the use of the 6 speed gearbox). Having covered that, you can obtain "S" diameter rotors from Brembo that are internally machined to "base" e-brake diameters, allowing the use of "S" brakes on a base car without changing over the suspension items (read big $). They simply bolt right on, no other mods. If memeory serves, the trick rotors are about $270 pair.......

well that's not bad at all. i figured from looking at the part numbers that there may be a difference in the e-brake setup. the shoes are the same, but the cams, springs and back plates are different. you don't by chance know where i can find these rotors, do you?

one more question: since the base rotors and the s rotors are the same overall diameter (just different thicknesses), would it be possible to use base rotors with the S calipers? are the hub offsets different?

• Moderators
one more question: since the base rotors and the s rotors are the same overall diameter (just different thicknesses), would it be possible to use base rotors with the S calipers? are the hub offsets different?

I've purchased the Brembo items from two sources: Suncoast Porshce in Fla. http://www.suncoastporsche.com/ , and directly from Brembo's US master distributor, Race Technologies in Marina Del Rey, CA http://www.racetechnologies.com If you just want to get the rotors, I'd suggest Race Technologies, as they tend to stock the parts while Suncoast carries the full kit (rotors, lines, calipers, etc.)........................

As for using the base rotors, I do not think that will work, but the guys at Race Tech probably could give you better info on that subject......................

I've purchased the Brembo items from two sources: Suncoast Porshce in Fla. http://www.suncoastporsche.com/ , and directly from Brembo's US master distributor, Race Technologies in Marina Del Rey, CA http://www.racetechnologies.com If you just want to get the rotors, I'd suggest Race Technologies, as they tend to stock the parts while Suncoast carries the full kit (rotors, lines, calipers, etc.)........................

fantastic information. thanks!

• Moderators

fantastic information. thanks!

Anytime. I've done three of these conversions, all using the Brembo parts from the above sources, and all were a snap to do. I still have one set on an 02, and they have been great to drive, and have not caused any problems........ the last "full" kit I purchased (everything for all four corners) was $2795 (delivered) from Suncoast.................

Edited by JFP in PA

Anytime. I've done three of these conversions, all using the Brembo parts from the above sources, and all were a snap to do. I still have one set on an 02, and they have been great to drive, and have not caused any problems........ the last "full" kit I purchased (everything for all four corners) was $2795 (delivered) from Suncoast.................

stay tuned for pictures on how to turn an S rear caliper into a base rear caliper and vice versa. BTW, the base rotors will work with the S rear calipers. i will post pics on how / why this is the case. i'm thinking maybe brembo sends you cross drilled base rears. next time you buy a set, measure the thickness. i bet they're standard thickness. i'll post the pics / measurements / explanation a bit later; still messy from working earlier.

i'll try to explain. the caliper mounting distance from the hub for the S and base rear calipers are the same. the caliper offset (distance from mounting point to the center of the pad clamping area) are also the same. as are the cylinders, pistons, etc. the ONLY difference is the mounting position of the pad retainer pins. the first photo shows the pins i'm talking about. The second photo shows an S caliper pin from the outside. notice the pin is flush with the caliper surface. The third picture shows a red base caliper's pin mounting depth. it's mounted deeper than the S caliper's! the final picture shows the roll pins that retain the caliper pins in place.

now for the cool part: the caliper retaining pins for both calipers are the same! that is, they can be mounted at either depth. one can simply remove the roll pins, slide the caliper retaining pins in or out, install new roll pins, and convert the caliper! that is all. the base caliper's pad retaining pins are installed in the narrow position so that they won't fit around an S rotor, which is thicker. the base rotor is identical in diameter and offset, but is 2mm thinner. so, an S caliper can be installed on a base rotor, but a base caliper can't be installed on an S rotor without the above mentioned modifications.

i took all measurements of an S caliper and a base caliper to prove this; all dimensions are identical except for the pins! crafty, eh?

post-3131-1177763627_thumb.jpg post-3131-1177763638_thumb.jpg

post-3131-1177763676_thumb.jpg post-3131-1177763684_thumb.jpg

Edited by insite

• Moderators

stay tuned for pictures on how to turn an S rear caliper into a base rear caliper and vice versa. BTW, the base rotors will work with the S rear calipers. i will post pics on how / why this is the case. i'm thinking maybe brembo sends you cross drilled base rears. next time you buy a set, measure the thickness. i bet they're standard thickness. i'll post the pics / measurements / explanation a bit later; still messy from working earlier.

Actually, the rear rotors are not "base thickness" (20 mm), they are "s" thickness (24 mm), I just checked....................

Sweet!!!

Do you know if it is possible to change those pins? I was looking at the diagram and I couldn't find those pins. Looks like it's one piece with caliper.

or you just thinking about cutting them off, I mean making shorter?

BTW awesome job!!!

you could remove a wheel and measure. ;)

dude, i'm not THAT lazy... i just don't have an S. i have a base boxster that i'm going to install 'S' rear rotors / calipers on. i don't have the S rotors yet. i'm trying to figure out whether i will have any issues with the rotor offset, i.e. will the rotor center in the caliper, or will i need to shim it, and if so, how much?

haha, sorry. read your post wrong. DUH! :rolleyes:

Sweet!!!

Do you know if it is possible to change those pins? I was looking at the diagram and I couldn't find those pins. Looks like it's one piece with caliper.

or you just thinking about cutting them off, I mean making shorter?

BTW awesome job!!!

they're not on any diagrams. they're supposed to be part of the caliper. you can remove them and re-insert them to a different depth.

Actually, the rear rotors are not "base thickness" (20 mm), they are "s" thickness (24 mm), I just checked....................

fantastic news. i am really glad to hear that. thanks again for your help!

So in other words... I can simply purchase "S" Calipers and use them on my base with your simple modification? or do I still need "S" Rotors.

JFP IN PA --> Do you have the part for the rotors that you use?

why would you do that? my point is that the base calipers ARE the S calipers. the only difference between the two is how the pins are set (as above). so, you can use either caliper on either car with either rotor depending on how you set the pin depth. the only benefit the rear brakes on the S have over the base is that the rotors are thicker. if you wanted to use these thicker rotors on your base boxster, you would need to buy the rotors described by JFP in PA in this thread. you would then need to set the pin depth on your calipers to accept the thicker rotors. that's it. no need to buy new calipers.

also, one more time for clarity: this only works on the rears. the front calipers are different in several more ways.

• Moderators
So in other words... I can simply purchase "S" Calipers and use them on my base with your simple modification? or do I still need "S" Rotors.

JFP IN PA --> Do you have the part for the rotors that you use?

Not were I am, but i will look for the paper work on them next week when i'm home. They are a Brembo part, available from Race Tech..........