Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

One touch passenger window mod?

You know how the passenger window only goes up automatically after it is past the midway point up? It's a minor frustration for me. I'd rather it go up like the driver's window. Well this week I had a Cayman loaner while my 997 was in the shop, and guess what? The Cayman's passenger window operates the way I'd like the Carerra to. One touch, and the passenger window goes up in the Cayman. With so many things in the interior being shared between the Cayman and Carerra, it occurred to me that there might be a mod to make the Carerra window act like the Cayman. Would substituting the Cayman window switch for the Carerra do it (doubtful)? Is there a relay? Anyone have a clue what to change out?

• Admin

Carrera windows are one-touch.

Start by retraining your windows.

Bring the window all way down by holding the button down - then continue to hold for 10 seconds longer. Do the same for the window up position.

Now they should work as one touch.

If they don't then you likely have a bad window regulator.

I believe the Carrera windows (997) are one touch down both sides and one touch up driver's side only. Paasenger side is only one touch up after the window reaches its midpoint - don't know why since the Cayman has one touch up both sides. There is an aftermarket mod that can be added that fixes this (and other features too) https://www.wilhelmy-it.de/sms/shop/index.p...home&menu=1

Yup, Jhbrennan is correct. I just tried Loren's suggestion, but no luck. The passenger side only goes up one-touch from the midpoint. I'm familiar with the wilhelmy solution, just didn't want to spend the $300, in spite of all the good things it does. I was hoping a simple swap out of some Cayman part for the Carerra equivalent would solve the "problem". Thanks for the comments. Maybe I'll have to cough up the dough.

Carrera windows are one-touch.

Start by retraining your windows.

Bring the window all way down by holding the button down - then continue to hold for 10 seconds longer. Do the same for the window up position.

Now they should work as one touch.

If they don't then you likely have a bad window regulator.

Where is the window regulator located? I wonder if swapping out a cayman one would solve the problem. Of course it probably costs more than the $300 for the wilhelmy solution. :)

• Admin

The windows on a 996 are one touch down and one touch up - I am positive -- I own a 996.

Only Cab rear windows go down part of the to lower and raise the top.

I have not tried a 997 (and don't have one around now) - but it does not make sense that Porsche would go backwards with a simple feature like this.

I still think that if your windows are not one-touch then something is wrong with your car. I do not know if that is programmable with a PIWIS on a 997 but wasn't programmable on a 996. You don't need any Cayman parts - you need your window(s) fixed.

The windows on a 996 are one touch down and one touch up - I am positive -- I own a 996.

Only Cab rear windows go down part of the to lower and raise the top.

I have not tried a 997 (and don't have one around now) - but it does not make sense that Porsche would go backwards with a simple feature like this.

I still think that if your windows are not one-touch then something is wrong with your car. I do not know if that is programmable with a PIWIS on a 997 but wasn't programmable on a 996. You don't need any Cayman parts - you need your window(s) fixed.

It's bizarre that the 996 and 997 are different but on the 997 coupes (owner's manual page 28) "One touch operation for closing the passenger's window is only available once the window is approximately half-way closed." Go figure.

As jhbrennan said:

One-touch operation

f Press the rocker switch upwards or

downwards to the second stage.

Window moves to its final position.

Press again to stop the window in the desired

position.

One-touch operation for closing the passenger’s

window is available once the window is approximately

half-way closed.

I'm sure it's meant as a safety feature. Now about that cayman window controller... :)

As jhbrennan said:

One-touch operation

f Press the rocker switch upwards or

downwards to the second stage.

Window moves to its final position.

Press again to stop the window in the desired

position.

One-touch operation for closing the passenger’s

window is available once the window is approximately

half-way closed.

I'm sure it's meant as a safety feature. Now about that cayman window controller... :)

Had the exact same thing happen to me with a Cayman S loaner...funny I posted this on rennlist and no one cared lol. <_<

Had the exact same thing happen to me with a Cayman S loaner...funny I posted this on rennlist and no one cared lol. <_<

We're too busy posting pics of our cars and debating what wheels to get on the rennlist I guess. :)

We're too busy posting pics of our cars and debating what wheels to get on the rennlist I guess. :)

Not to mention all the post trashing and one upsmanship stuff by a select few...yuk.... :rolleyes: Edited by 500

Not to mention all the post trashing and one upsmanship stuff by a select few...yuk.... :rolleyes:

I try to ignore all that stuff, but sometimes it gets tiresome. Still a good forum though.

I read through the Cayman owners manual, and it actually has the same text in it about one touch operation of the passenger's window as the Carerra manual. I'm still thinking there is a part swap we can do to get the windows in the Carerra to act the same as the Cayman, but I've got no clue as to where or how to look.

I'm still thinking there is a part swap we can do to get the windows in the Carerra to act the same as the Cayman, but I've got no clue as to where or how to look.

Get hold of a Cayman owner and try their relay? (Edit: had a quick look in the PET couldn't find a window relay.)

Cayman switch is a 2006 997 switch according to PET

Edited by Paul Fraser

• Admin

In the 997 and 987 the windows are managed through a controller in each door.

I am still checking but it looks like the controllers in the Cayman and 997 are the same.

If that is the case then it is a programming issue.

I complained to my dealer about this issue and the fact that you can't close the windows/sun roof with the key as I could do on my '02 996. They did some research and even called the factory to see if there was a set-up option that they could change. They said there is nothing that they can do change it as the factory considers it a "safety issue".

You can buy a RemoteTop from Wilhelmy-IT and it will give you the function of using your key to open and close the windows and sunroof.

Edited by Dharn55

You can buy a RemoteTop from Wilhelmy-IT and it will give you the function of using your key to open and close the windows and sunroof.

windows yes, sunroof no!

RemoteKey for coupes

windows yes, sunroof no!

RemoteKey for coupes

Sorry for Dup, can't erase?

Edited by larrytrk