Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

GT3 CUP Air Filter

CAP

Hi ,

i´m new to this board and i hope to get some infos about my question. My GT3 is announced for 15. June. I want to know if someone has changed his standard airfilter to CUP Airfilter ?

Any comments are welcome :-)

regards

Oliver

Hi ,

i´m new to this board and i hope to get some infos about my question. My GT3 is announced for 15. June. I want to know if someone has changed his standard airfilter to CUP Airfilter ?

Any comments are welcome :-)

regards

Oliver

May be a problem, since mouting the CUP style cone filter requires you to make a provision for the mass airflow sensor(MAF) which cup cars do not have. The air going into the engine will also be hotter and that will degrade performance since the filter is not isloated from engine heat. You are much better off using a high flow panel filter replacement in the existing airbox such as a bmc, since it is only getting air from the outside of the car(since it's isloated in the airbox from the engine heat).

BMC has an Airfilter (TW90-130) which is much the same as the CUP Filter an you can use it with the MAF.

I plan to combine this with a kind of airbox which leds the air from outside direct to the filter.

thanks for any other ideas and comments

I plan to combine this with a kind of airbox which leds the air from outside direct to the filter.

The '04 GT3 Cup has a carbon air guide.

It come with the Cup air filter cover.

As usual for Cup parts, it's pricey though...

Here's a picture. As far as I know, PMNA is not shipping these parts yet for upgrades. I do believe a couple shops may have "knock offs" available for less money. Try Gordon Freidman at Autometrics or Mike Levitas at Turbo Performance Center.

Karl

03.jpg

Hi KarlS,

thanks for this picture. I´m from Germany and so to contact the guys you mentioned is difficult. I will contact Porsche Motorsport at Weisach. I´m sure they can help me with information on how to do and if it works or not.

thanks for all comments

Here's a picture. As far as I know, PMNA is not shipping these parts yet for upgrades. I do believe a couple shops may have "knock offs" available for less money. Try Gordon Freidman at Autometrics or Mike Levitas at Turbo Performance Center.

Karl

03.jpg

Karl:

Please stop posting photo's like this...Your getting me all wet!!!! :thumbup:

Actually we need a photo from the other side of the car. I'm thinking that air guide might interfere with the A/C compressor and/or the lines to the compressor on the street GT3.

Edited by gt3Steve

this friday have a date at my Porsche Dealer in Germany . I think he has some new information for me about how to do this change.

I will post any new info as soon i have.

regards from Germany

Oliver

Edited by CAP

Karl, have you made this change to your GT3?  I just didn't know if that was your car in the photo.

:drive:

No this picture is from a 2004 Cup car. If I was going to do something with my street car, I'd probably look to use the GT3 RS airbox and rear lid, since they are engineered for the MAF and emissions requirements of a street car.

Karl

Is the GT3 RS Airbox different from the GT3 ClubSport ?

Possibly i get the CUP Catalog at the end of the week. Hope to get more details on this issue.

I think there is enough place to change to the CUP Airbox but the only way would be to try and the see how it works. If any one has more photos from the CUP motor or from the "normal" GT3 motor please post.

thanks

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

It would not be a plug and play operation. The positions of the airbox hole mating with the intake from the engine cover is at the opposite side of the engine bay, and the connection to the MAF/Throttle body is in a different location. Look at the pic above on the GT3. The turbo has a slightly different part number from the GT3, but the locations of the intake and Throttle body connections are the same.