Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Will blocking this filter be a problem?

I am looking for a safe place to permanently install my computer in the car (RHD). There is a very nice space to the right of the amplifier and behind the spare wheel. However I vaguely recall that that area is an air filter. The computer will sit just in front of the filter (there is about 5 or 6 cm between the equipment and the filter area).

Do you think it will be problematic to partially obstruct the filter in this way?

Here are some photos to clarify things -

post-1-1181944341_thumb.jpg

Edited by joesan
Made image viewable

That space I believe is an airtight space where the spare tire is located, with a seal around the front trunk lid. I don’t remember any filters in that area on my 986. Maybe Tool Pants or Loren could shed some light on the subject. ;)

Are you talking about that circular cutout?

I cant see any problem placing your computer there, just keep an eye on it during summer as it gets fairly hot in there

Yes exactly that - I am not sure if it is some kind of filter or not? Anyone know for sure?

• Moderators

I am not following this.

The area that you labled filter is where the cd changer goes on a RHD. At least that is what I think due to the poor quality of the picture.

The pollen filter is in the area where the battery is. On a RHD the filter is on the passenger/left side. You can see the filter on the right edge of this picture.

post-4-1182008796_thumb.jpg

I am not following this.

The area that you labled filter is where the cd changer goes on a RHD. At least that is what I think due to the poor quality of the picture.

The pollen filter is in the area where the battery is. On a RHD the filter is on the passenger/left side. You can see the filter on the right edge of this picture.

Spot on Toolpants, me too (not following this).

I have RHD but i havnt a clue what the item is, its not been on either of mine or any that i looked at, and yes my CD changer is in the area described

Edited by Glyn

Sorry Guys - you're right they are seriously bad quality photos - taken with my mobile phone!

i think maybe it's not a filter after all. It would be great if it is not since the space is ideal. If it is the space for the CD changer can you route wires through the middle of that circle?

Here is a much clearer picture -

post-8122-1182019434_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

That picture is much better and it is the mounting bracket for the cd changer for a RHD. In the UK some cars have an option called cd changer prep. The loom and the mounting bracket are already installed. All you need to do is add the changer. We do not have this option in North America.

Remove the two 10mm bolts on the top of the bracket. Then you can lift it up and remove it. Then pull back the carpet. There should be an X cut in the carpet for the loom. The loom goes through a large rubber gromet and then into the area where the battery is. Behind the battery is another rubber gromet that goes into the cockpit. You may have to remove the battery to see it.

If you make a hole in both gromets you can run wires from the front trunk all the way into the cockpit. Keep in mind I have never sen a RHD car in person, but that is how we do it on a LHD. The plastic cover next to your bracket is not like a LHD car. You may have to remove the cover first.

Thanks Toolpants (and others who posted to help). I saw this post just now - a little too late... I ran the cables this morning and everything was exactly as you described. That circular hole is, of course, entirely not a filter of any kind but is, in fact, the CD Changer bracket like the pros on here have suggested.

The space for the CD changer accommodates my Mac Mini, Hard Drive and power supply perfectly. I tried a dry run today and it looks like everything works brilliantly - now I have all my CDs on tap, plus internet etc. via the computer.

I'd highly recommend this route to anyone wanting to keep a lot of music in their cars. I've ripped over 1000 CDs to mine and they are all instantly playable in the car.

I hope to post some pictures of the install shortly when I finish up on the install.