Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

GT3 Mk1 v GT3 Mk2 v 997 GT3

sclemmons

How can I tell a Mk1 from a Mk2. is this based on the year or not. How much better is the 997 vs the 996? Is the 2004 or the 2005 preferred, or pretty much the same? I haved read that this GT3 engine is the best Porsche engine available to the consumer. Is this consistent with your view?

Could you really drive this car every day or would it annoy your neighbors and scrape on the parking lot entrance? Is it quiet enough inside to carry on a conversation on the highway or do you have to raise your voice?

Thanks. Just trying to learn.

skip

Edited by sclemmons

• Admin

The GT3 Mk1 was not sold in the US or Canada.

IMHO the GT3 engine is the most rugged and reliable currently produced.

Yes, it is low and the coilovers will give a rougher ride than a Carrera. I don't recall the interior noise being any better or worse than a Carrera.

IMHO the 997 GT3 is quite a bit more sophisticated that the 996 GT3. The 996 GT3 was a little more "raw racecar".

Have a look at the 997 GT3 Technical Brochure in the Contributing Members Forum for 49 pages of detail.

As for "livability", I have 31K miles on my '04 GT3, most of them commute and vacation travel miles. The car is definitely a pleasure to drive every day; the only thing you always have to remember is the low ground clearance, the front splitter, driveways and such.

...How much better is the 997 vs the 996? ...

Could you really drive this car every day or would it annoy your neighbors and scrape on the parking lot entrance? Is it quiet enough inside to carry on a conversation on the highway or do you have to raise your voice?

skip

IMO, while I certainly like the looks of the 997GT3 better than my 996GT3 (I came out of a 993TT), I do not believe its performance is worth the extra $. Its nannies may be, though. I know this goes against the grain of the "race car for the streets," but being an older guy, I'd prefer a slightly less edgy car (my 996GT3). But not so far as a Turbo. And the 997 is a bit too soft for me.

The h..l with the neighbors, but the scraping, especially with an RS front spoiler, is a pain. I keep at least one spare in the garage to replace the one that just fell off.

I would say it's not quiet enough to carry on a normal conversation. One's voice must be raised. Likewise, those who complain about the inadequacy of the radio miss the point of listening to the engine scream from 6K to 8K rpm. Nonetheless, the radio is p..s poor, and the volume must be raised to listen. I seldom bother with it preferring to hear the engine. I also have a Cargraphics muffler system that makes it even sweeter.

Edited by ltcjmramos

As for "livability", I have 31K miles on my '04 GT3, most of them commute and vacation travel miles. The car is definitely a pleasure to drive every day; the only thing you always have to remember is the low ground clearance, the front splitter, driveways and such.

Skip,

Plima is right on the money. I drive my Mk.2 996 GT3 as a semi-daily drive with my wife. We have a good ride and can talk easily, while I keep it under 5,000 rpm. Above that the fun starts and all bets are off. The item I like about the 996 is it doesn't have any driver "help", you're on your own. They are a fun car.

How can I tell a Mk1 from a Mk2. is this based on the year or not. How much better is the 997 vs the 996? Is the 2004 or the 2005 preferred, or pretty much the same? I haved read that this GT3 engine is the best Porsche engine available to the consumer. Is this consistent with your view?

skip

As others indicated, 996 (MK2) GT3 is, without a doubt, a wonderful car and an absolute joy to drive.

Whether you can use it as a daily driver, the answer is yes. However, it depends on your level of tolerance and threshold for discomfort, the road conditions (smooth vs. potholes) and possible orthopedic problems . It is certainly not prohibitively uncomfortable, but I must admit that I don't use it as a means of daily transportation. Of course, you can not drive this car in the snow with the conventional tires.

As for noise level, it is a little loud but I don't think too loud; you can carry on a conversation conveniently without the need to raise a decible . Having said that, I know that a few of my neighbours told my wife at the a neighbourhood party (which I did not attend) that they know when I am driving the car on Saturday and Sunday AM's. Like others, I do not use the radio. If you are a classical music fan, forget about it, because the musical dynamic range is destroyed (although I have not bothered to try it).

May I suggest that you test drive the car for youself because these issues are subjective and you are the only one to be able to determine the positive attributes (which are numerous) and the deficiencies.

Is the 997GT3 a better car? I think the answer is yes. It is more refined and comfortable, and also faster.

Do you happen to know the highest milage 996 GT3 in the States (or North America)?

Anyone else? Loren?

Do you happen to know the highest milage 996 GT3 in the States (or North America)?

Anyone else? Loren?

There's a thread on this over at Rennlist. I haven't followed it closely, but seem to recall that 41K is the high mark.

Anyone else? Loren?

There's a thread on this over at Rennlist. I haven't followed it closely, but seem to recall that 41K is the high mark.

THANKS.

• 1 month later...

Didn't see a response to the 2004 vs 2005 question. I have a similar question. I understand that the 996 GT3 RS was introduced in Europe in '04. I was wondering if any of the GT3 RS changes trickled down to the GT3 for MY05. Anyone know?

Nestor

Didn't see a response to the 2004 vs 2005 question. I have a similar question. I understand that the 996 GT3 RS was introduced in Europe in '04. I was wondering if any of the GT3 RS changes trickled down to the GT3 for MY05. Anyone know?

Nestor

Certainly no performance related tweeks from the GT3 RS were incorporated into the 2005 GT3, which was virtually identical to the 2004 model. There may have been some new colors for 2005 or a new option or two but nothing significant that I can recall.

Karl

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Anyone else? Loren?

There's a car on ebay with 56k miles, and one on autotrader with around 55k. These two may or may not be the same car. I've seen a few in the mid 40s also.

Ahmet

• 1 month later...

Anyone else? Loren?

There's a car on ebay with 56k miles, and one on autotrader with around 55k. These two may or may not be the same car. I've seen a few in the mid 40s also.

Ahmet

Your cars are crying; they want to be DRIVEN!!!!