Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

clutch replacement cost

I just visited the collection in Coral Gables and spoke with a tech-advisor, He is quoting me a clutch for a 996 C2 the price of $2,000.00 and another thousand if I need a flywheel.

Question 1, is the clutch replacement at the dealer really $2,000 bucks

Question 2, How often flywheels are replaced and do you really have to do it because tech says they go bad everytime a clutch is replaced.

I don't want to get ripped off by The Collection.

Any comments

• Admin

You should read TSB 8/02 1360 Dual Mass Flywheel Check Procedure -- dated Dec 13, 2002.

Porsche AG warns dealers about replacing flywheels that are not defective.

Have you considered an independent shop?

My guess is that an indy will do it for less than $1000.

I'd do a search on Google for the Collection as well. Seems they've been known to crash cars while their mechanics are on 'test' drives (also known as joy rides).

I agree with Loren as far as cost goes. 2k is too high. Parts are less than four hundred bucks from online Porsche dealers like Suncoast or Sunset. Labor rate for something as extensive as removing and replacing the entire motor is only about 10 hours.

I'd do a search on Google for the Collection as well. Seems they've been known to crash cars while their mechanics are on 'test' drives (also known as joy rides).

I agree with Loren as far as cost goes. 2k is too high. Parts are less than four hundred bucks from online Porsche dealers like Suncoast or Sunset. Labor rate for something as extensive as removing and replacing the entire motor is only about 10 hours.

I just checked with my indy...and through Sunset you can pick up the clutch for around $350 and the flat rate manual shows a clutch job as taking around 5-7 hours depending upon the expertise of the mechanic. At around $90 an hour, thats about $450 to $600 for labor...all of which comes to around $1000 or a little more. It sounds like $2,000 is about double what it should be....

I always buy the parts myself, then have the indy put them in....that way you don't get charged the extra money they tack on to a part. As long as they are Porsche parts, the indy or dealership shouldn't object. Some of them won't mess around with any part that's an aftermarket manufacturer....can't say as I blame them.

Porsche POSES say 3.8 hours for a clutch replacement.

REALLY???? Just at 4 hours? I'm going to go and look at my indy's flat rate manual and see wazzap.....That would mean that at $90 an hour....$360 plus say another $400 for the clutch....well under $1K.

Sometime back, I was having some issues with my clutch and Loren sent me the DIY on bleeding the clutch....something I didn't know you could do. I had it done and it did improve the feel of the clutch release....you might want to try that before you jump for the clutch....in my case, that was about 10K miles ago....so I extended the time period for a clutch job....which ultimately I'm going to need.

Try the shop across the street from the Collection on Bird Road it is called European Auto Service Center. Had my oil change there and it was very reasonable compared to other Indies. BTW I'll do the oil change myself next time way too easy.. :)

Stop by Vertex Auto this morning quoted me $900.00 with Porsche Original parts and in the extremely rare case that I need a flywheel another $700.00, Now that will be $1,600.00 Total vs. $3,000 from the Collection.

IMHO, The collection is just ripping people off, and doesn't make much sense, Porsche's and Audi's are the brands they sell the most, and by scaring the customer base away all they are doing is not making the money they should be making. In the other hand, maybe they are just happy with the newer cars and the warranty service they offer and after the car is out of warranty they just don't care in retaining that business.

Is a shame, Mr. Ken (CEO) at the collection should know that the boom in Miami is over, there are more foreclosures in Broward and Dade than ever, and many more to come, money is not flowing in town the way it used to be, and sure enough less Ferraris, Aston, Porsches, Lotus are hitting the road, he knows this, just my two cents.

Has anyone done a DIY on a clutch replacement? 3.8 hours doesn't sound like a difficult job. I could not find anything in our site, and tried Google search. The only article was at Pelican parts, for an older 911. Thanks

Izzy

I am in Miami and I have the manuals, tools books and more. I also know just about every Porsche shop in town ( I wonder why???)

You should check parts at VERTEX they are 2 blocks from Collection and carry Porsche factory parts.

The shop across from Collection is also very good and should be able to take care you in a proper and timely fashion.

Both shops have helped me service my 964 and have done a fine job.

If you want more recommendations PM or email me