Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

How hard can it be?

Well, after 4 years and 40k miles with my 2000 Cab, I've finally found something to complain about.

I had an procedure known as "hip resurfacing" performed this week. The pre-op info included the fact that most can drive within 2 - 3 weeks. It also, however, included a great deal of warning regarding the possibility of a dislocation during the several month time to total recovery. High on the "don't" list was: "drive a car with low seating".

Of course, I assumed that would not apply to me. After all, I was active .... a runner .... worked out with weights daily. My recovery would not be bound by the restrictions "normal" hip suffers must follow. At the pre-op meeting, I addressed the issue with the doc's assistant. I deigned that I would wait as much as 3 weeks .... to show my patience. She asked what kind of car. My wife, already worried, interjected, "a Porsche".

"A Cayenne"?

"No, a little one" (the wife again).

"Well, it could be as long as 3 months before you can safely drive that car. (actually, I could drive it without a problem. Its the getting in and out that does the damage.) I will be flying airplanes long before I will be able to drive my Cab.

There are 3 absolutely prohibited movements / positions during the recovery. 1. bending more than 90 degrees, upper body to thigh. 2. raising the thigh within 90 degrees of the upper body. 3. crossing the affected (right, in my case) leg over the other and/or rotating the toe of that foot inward.

I tried, the night before surgery, but could find absolutely no way to get into, or exit my car without violating at least one, if not all of these restrictions.

So, I'm stuck .... and mourning. I ride shotgun in my wife's Landcruiser, where I can slide out like a kid at a water park. I will have to ask my son-in-law to drive my car occasionally. My wife is afraid to accept the responsibility. My daughter forfeited all chance with an incident in my 928 over 20 years ago .... which will remain untold at this time.

Well, after 4 years and 40k miles with my 2000 Cab, I've finally found something to complain about.

I had an procedure known as "hip resurfacing" performed this week. The pre-op info included the fact that most can drive within 2 - 3 weeks. It also, however, included a great deal of warning regarding the possibility of a dislocation during the several month time to total recovery. High on the "don't" list was: "drive a car with low seating".

Of course, I assumed that would not apply to me. After all, I was active .... a runner .... worked out with weights daily. My recovery would not be bound by the restrictions "normal" hip suffers must follow. At the pre-op meeting, I addressed the issue with the doc's assistant. I deigned that I would wait as much as 3 weeks .... to show my patience. She asked what kind of car. My wife, already worried, interjected, "a Porsche".

"A Cayenne"?

"No, a little one" (the wife again).

"Well, it could be as long as 3 months before you can safely drive that car. (actually, I could drive it without a problem. Its the getting in and out that does the damage.) I will be flying airplanes long before I will be able to drive my Cab.

There are 3 absolutely prohibited movements / positions during the recovery. 1. bending more than 90 degrees, upper body to thigh. 2. raising the thigh within 90 degrees of the upper body. 3. crossing the affected (right, in my case) leg over the other and/or rotating the toe of that foot inward.

I tried, the night before surgery, but could find absolutely no way to get into, or exit my car without violating at least one, if not all of these restrictions.

So, I'm stuck .... and mourning. I ride shotgun in my wife's Landcruiser, where I can slide out like a kid at a water park. I will have to ask my son-in-law to drive my car occasionally. My wife is afraid to accept the responsibility. My daughter forfeited all chance with an incident in my 928 over 20 years ago .... which will remain untold at this time.

Seems like a golden opportunity to give your daughter another chance. Might turn a difficult situation (your surgery and recovery) into an unexpected positive.

Regards, 1schoir.

Good luck. I know not being able to drive the p-car is hard. I'm coming off ACL surgery, and I was going nuts after not being able to drive my baby for 1 1/2 weeks. I'm now 10 days out and although getting in and out is hard driving is pretty comfortable if I put my seat back far enough. hang in there.

I had an procedure known as "hip resurfacing" performed this week. The pre-op info included the fact that most can drive within 2 - 3 weeks. It also, however, included a great deal of warning regarding the possibility of a dislocation during the several month time to total recovery. High on the "don't" list was: "drive a car with low seating".......

.......So, I'm stuck .... and mourning. I ride shotgun in my wife's Landcruiser, where I can slide out like a kid at a water park. I will have to ask my son-in-law to drive my car occasionally. My wife is afraid to accept the responsibility. My daughter forfeited all chance with an incident in my 928 over 20 years ago .... which will remain untold at this time.

Sorry to hear about your surgery Kim. At least I have a perspective now what will happen to me after another 17 on the job :rolleyes:

Anyway, I hope you get well much sooner than your son-in-law must hope you will :P

Regards,

Thorsten

At least I have a perspective now what will happen to me after another 17 on the job :rolleyes:

Anyway, I hope you get well much sooner than your son-in-law must hope you will :P

Regards,

Thorsten

Thanks, Thorsten.

Just to be clear, this was not related to all those years in the cockpit. It was, ironically, the result of choosing running as my exercise to stay healthy over a 30 year period .... which did not combine well with arthritic hips over the long run.

On the other hand, running provided me with some beautiful memories of your country, especially around Munich & Stuttgart.

My daughter forfeited all chance with an incident in my 928 over 20 years ago .... which will remain untold at this time.

Seems like a golden opportunity to give your daughter another chance. Might turn a difficult situation (your surgery and recovery) into an unexpected positive.

Regards, 1schoir.

1schoir,

My vote for post of the year. Seems we can learn about more than just awesome vehicles here. I admire your courage. After all, putting your neck out and making this statement is

'Risky Business'

Kim,

I understand your pain, physically and mentally. I shattered my lower leg in 33 places during a motorcycle accident a few years back- my foot did at least one 360 but surgeon thought more. 6 months until I could push on a clutch pedal again. I hope you recover quickly.

My daughter forfeited all chance with an incident in my 928 over 20 years ago .... which will remain untold at this time.

Regards, 1schoir.

1schoir,

My vote for post of the year. Seems we can learn about more than just awesome vehicles here. I admire your courage. After all, putting your neck out and making this statement is

'Risky Business'

James:

Thanks for the vote. I meant it sincerely, but when I think back on it, I should have included my other thought which was:

Regardless of what you decide, I wish you a speedy and full recovery.

Regards, 1schoir.

• 2 weeks later...

Kim,

I also had very bad motorcycle racing accident when I was a young man. Pretty much almost tore my lower leg off. 2 & 1/2 years in a cast and 7 surgeries including bone grafts skin graft and leg legthening procedure.

I feel your pain. Just hang in there and you will be back in your toy. Just don't do anything to set you back.

Best wishes and hope you have a speedy recovery!

Phillipj

P.S. My leg works fine (although has many battle scars!)

I sincerely appreciate the suggestion .... but I should tell you that the remark was very much tongue in cheek. She did mess up my newly restored 928 at age 16 .... but that's the chance I took when I gave her the keys. There was no long term damage to the relationship, and her banishment from my cars was short lived.

The issue of letting her husband drive it now .... but not her .... is just a family joke. This 996 will be probably be made available her son when he gets his license .... and, just like last time, I will know the risk when I hand over the keys. (He's starting it up weekly for me now .... and always with a big grin on his face).

What good are these wonderful cars if you can't share them with the folks you love.

Thanks again,

"What good are these wonderful cars if you can't share them with the folks you love."

Thanks again,

I wish that everyone could appreciate that statement. Your grandson is a very lucky young man.

Regards, 1schoir (Maurice).