Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

2000 C4 oil change

I have a 2000 C4 and I follow the factory's recommendation on oil changes, which, I believe, is every 15k miles. Seems kind of long in between. This is my daily driver and I am wondering what others are doing in terms of oil changes and how often. After reading all of the posts about engine failure on the 996's I am a little worried and want mine to last longer, currently have 78k on it and no problems (knock on wood). Let me know how many miles you guys are doing changes.

Well you have to figure, 9 quarts of oil shouldnt break down and expire as quick as 5 quarts of oil would in the same engine. Non the less you are right about it feeling a bit too lengthy with the intervals, I usually hold out to 12k max. but usually change the oil, oil filter & crush washer every 10k miles. I think 10k is a good solid number, Plus buying 9 quarts every 3-5k miles would blow and be a waste of oil...

Carrera,

I agree with CJ -- I wouldn't go more than 10-12k miles on a [high quality] synthetic oil in any car. I know that MB now recommends 10K mile changes for their AMG motors, so that should be good enough for Porsche engines.

I've qualified the synthetic oil as high quality which means any oil that's on the Approved Oil List, not for example, the Walmart SuperTech stuff that only lasts about 7000 miles as shown in several used oil analyses I've read.

BTW, the PCA tech forum recommends 7500 miles for an oil change interval.

Regards,

paul...

I'm a little above 96,000 miles and I have changed the oil at around 6,000 miles. I had a recent oil analysis done at Blackstone and the results came back very positive---with no fuel or coolant in the oil and all the other stuff looking "good."

Under comments they wrote that my engine is "nice wearing." I also did a TBN analysis and it came back at 5.3---meaning that there is a lot of active additive remaining in the oil. When it reads 1.0 it's too low. They suggested that since I am close "to average levels for engine wear, we suggest you could try a 7,000 mile oil change."

I see you guys only use mileage as the indicator for oil changes,

Shouldn't the time interval be a consideration as well?

I have barely clocked 4000miles in a year now, and I think it's time to change my oil.

Coz' if I wait till the recommended mileage, the math says it will take about 3 years time! :P