Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Problem w/ Optima Battery?

My car is at the dealer for some maintenance (not battery related) and the tech noticed that the car had trouble starting. He thinks the battery is on the way out. I just installed a brand new Optima 34R a couple of months ago so it seems a little strange if the battery is not holding a charge. Anyone have a similar experience? Is it an Optima thing, or Porsche thing or something else?

My car is at the dealer for some maintenance (not battery related) and the tech noticed that the car had trouble starting. He thinks the battery is on the way out. I just installed a brand new Optima 34R a couple of months ago so it seems a little strange if the battery is not holding a charge. Anyone have a similar experience? Is it an Optima thing, or Porsche thing or something else?

I have had a 34R in my 1999 C4 for about 6 months with no problems. Just test the battery and charge if needed. Also, check the electrical connections.

On other cars I have had the issue of a "slow starter motor". Sometimes when the starter gets old it ceases a bit (the brass bushings get warn/dirty and jam). It pulls a lot of amps but it does not spin as fast as it should. This is one of the first signs before it completely brakes - usually the motor burns, but it could just completely cease. I hope this is not the case with your car.

Optima batteries come with a 72 month warranty. I have one that's three years old, and I thought there was something wrong with the battery because it went dead in the winter. I took the battery out and had an Interstate battery dealer (a local gas station) test it. They said it was fine and there was no charge. Haven't had a problem since (must have just been lack of charge).

I put a 34r in my car I bought at a speed shop and the car was garaged for 6 months while I was overseas and when I came home the battery was dead. Took it to parts place they said it was bad. The speed shop was closed down, out of business I now have a dead 34r in my garage. DFon't know what to do about it? don't know why it failed. Porsche dealer tested the car they said that there was no abnormal power draw. So I bought a Advanced auto gold and haven't had a problem one. Good Luck

When my alternator died, my dealer suggested replacing the battery, so I put in an Optima 34R. At first, it seemed to not hold a charge well, so I asked the dealer service manager if the alternator was charging OK. She said a lot of new batteries don't hold a charge very well at first, but do fine after a week or two. So I stuck the car on a Porsche battery maintainer for a little while. The Optima holds a charge just fine. I never heard of new batteries having a problem holding a charge before, but it seemed to be the case

I put a 34r in my car I bought at a speed shop and the car was garaged for 6 months while I was overseas and when I came home the battery was dead. Took it to parts place they said it was bad. The speed shop was closed down, out of business I now have a dead 34r in my garage. DFon't know what to do about it? don't know why it failed. Porsche dealer tested the car they said that there was no abnormal power draw. So I bought a Advanced auto gold and haven't had a problem one. Good Luck

Any Interstate distributor should be able to warranty your dead Optima

The speed shop was closed down, out of business I now have a dead 34r in my garage. DFon't know what to do about it? don't know why it failed.

Any Optima retailer should be able to provide a warranty exchange e.g. Pep Boys, Autozone. The Optimas have a 36 month warranty. The problem will be finding a place which can get hold of another 34R, not many brick and mortar places carry them.