Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

2003 Boxster S Obc Upgrade

OBC Update for

2003 Boxster S

I recently purchased a new Boxster S without the On Board Computer. I had assumed that all the information and thermometer were in the system but had no idea that it could be added so easily.

I’ve had 911’s for years but Boxster ownership was new to me. I started searching for Boxster forums, I’m a Rennlist member so was aware of that list but found many more sites that had lots of good information. I was interested when I found the OBC hack info. The Tool Man’s DVD video was good as was several other sites.

I had the dealer turn on the OBC before delivery. As written in all the information, the dealer will tell you he can’t turn it on for 2003 models or does not know how. Tool Man “Jeff” supplied me with a phone number for the technician and the technician was able to speak with someone who had turned on the OBC and could give detailed instructions.

I had several questions prior to attempting the update that were answered by Jeff. I ordered all the parts from the Porsche dealer including the five VW wires. I made the wiring harness prior to starting the update.

With all parts in hand I had no more excuses why I couldn’t start the project. I completed the project in one afternoon, it is a straight forward task and easy if one has had experience working on cars. Anyone with tools probably could do the update, just follow the steps outlined on the DVD or other sites that give good info.

Yes, after the update, everything works. I understand that the OBC on the 2003 will look like the output of a 2000 or 2001 model. I haven’t seen a 2003 with OBC so can’t describe the differences.

A few screen shots for your reference.

Abe

post-25-1080095823_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

Congrads on the install. Other than the two local 2003s we have done I do not know anyone else who has done the retrofit on a 2003. Others have tried and gave up.

When I see 45 degrees I do not miss the East Coast. But at least the speed gong is set to 85 mph.

In 2002 for the Boxster Porsche came out with a dot matrix center display for the trip computer option. Without the option it is a segmented display - the same display that is on a 2001 with the option. Your owners manual shows the difference.

The only way to get the dot matrix display is to buy a new instrument cluster that has the dot matrix display.

This is the center dot matrix display on the 550 special edition.

post-25-1080130337_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

All,

Can anyone advise whether enabling the OBC via the PST2 before you complete the installation and wiring will illustrate any error or fault code on the PST2, because the wiring isnt complete and present in the car?

I ask this in the event that my OPC tell me they have tried to enable it, and get an error and then decide they can't complete the process, when in fact this may be normal as the complete circuitry isnt present.

Cheers

• Admin
All,

Can anyone advise whether enabling the OBC via the PST2 before you complete the installation and wiring will illustrate any error or fault code on the PST2, because the wiring isnt complete and present in the car?

I ask this in the event that my OPC tell me they have tried to enable it, and get an error and then decide they can't complete the process, when in fact this may be normal as the complete circuitry isnt present.

Cheers

No. Turning on the OBC will not generate an error/fault code. Mine is on right now (and has been for 3 years). I also have not done the OBC hack - I just get the outside temp. I have a scanner and my car shows no fault codes.

But your dealer should check for any fault codes BEFORE they turn it on - that's just plain "good practice".

• Moderators

Abe's 2003 was turned on before he did the retrofit. The two 2003s we did were turned on weeks before we had time to get together to do the retrofit. But on the other hand, you can do the retrofit first and then have it turned on.

I like it turned on first. I test to make sure it is working before we put all the parts back together in case we put a wire in a wrong slot or the connectors are not properly seated. I can't test if it is not turned on.

So you do not get confused, Loren has the old style instrument cluster and that is why he can see the temp display without the retrofit. You have a 2003 and with 2001-2004 you will see nothing until the retrofit is done.

Jonhale from the UK board was asking me for part numbers the other day so you better hurry up. He might beat you to it.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys, I posted this on the tech section, but now realise it should have been here. Anyone help?

I have an 2002 Boxster S with PCM2, but it doesn't have the stalk/control for the OBC, Is it possible to display some of the information from the PCM2 such as average fuel consumption/distance travelled, and to next fuel-stop/temp/Gong Limit etc., in the tacho, like the OBC does?

I'm assuming that the display capability is already there, although I'm a little confused by what Toolpants said earlier in the this thread, when he explained about dot matrix beign installed in some year models.

Can this be done with some mods with PST2?

Boxster S model 2002, PCM2

Donie, Spain

• 2 weeks later...
Very good.  The fourth 2003 trip computer retrofit I know of, and the first done on a 2003 in the UK.  And how many times over the months did the Porsche dealer in Scotland tell you it could not be done. ;)

Ahh yes, i :clapping: will take great delight in going back to advise them on how to do it as they struggled to the point of giving up !! ;)

• 2 months later...

I have a 2003 S. I went to my dealer in Southern California a couple of days ago, and they said that they no longer have the PST-2, but a newer computer. They tried, but could not activate my OBC.

I have the DVD with OBC instructions, but they were for the PST-2.

Any suggestion?

• Moderators

And a fine DVD it is. ;)

Peter came up with the retrofit instructions years ago and was the only one able to figure out the 2003 issue. He works at my local dealer and each year when a new model comes out I see Peter and we go around the lot turning on the trip computers. That is how the 2003 "bug" was spotted.

I spoke to Peter 2 days ago because they have 3 PST2s and I wanted to know what they were going to do with them now that the new PIWIS tester is out.

I asked if he had tried to turn on a trip computer with the new tester, and he said no.

So, I will have to go to the dealer and see if they have some 2003/4 without the OBC and find out what is the procedure with the new tester. Might include the prior year cars as well just in case. Jeff

Gang,

I just got back from the local Porsche dealer and here's everything you need to know regarding activating the OBC on a 2003-2004 Boxster or Boxster S. Anyway, here's the FAQ:

Q: I read somewhere that the OBC can't be activated on an 03 or 04.

A: It most certainly can be activated. It takes a somewhat different procedure that's outlined below.

Q: OK, so what's the procedure?

A: Here it is (ripped off from the PCA web site):

Access DME control unit. Go to vehicle data. Scroll down to order type. Hit F7 key to edit info. Enter either 986310 for Boxster or 986320 for Boxster S Back out of DME and do automatic search for control units. Go to instrument cluster, go to coding and recode instrument cluster for trip computer with F8 key

Q: Will this procedure work with the new diagnostic computers showing up at Porsche dealers now?

A: Absolutely. The procedure listed above is for the old PST-II but the process is the same.

Q: My dealer's tech hooked up the diagnostic computer to the car and it read off all the information about my car. It found all the options and everything but we still cannot access the instrument cluster to activate the OBC. Am I dead meat?

A: The procedure listed above is very exacting. If you look into the DME Vehicle Data you'll notice that it read the Order Type as a "310" for a Boxster or a "320" for a Boxster S. That's enough to read most of the information but it won't let you access the cluster. You MUST enter "986310" or "986320." Again, you MUST ENTER ALL SIX DIGITS of the code to access the cluster.

Q: OK, we activated it but I don't see any difference in the display. What's wrong?

A: Until you physically add the 4th stalk or switches, you won't see anything. All of that information is outlined in the link below.

Q: Is my dealer going to charge me for this?

A: Maybe. If you have a good relationship with them they probably won't. It's at most a 10 minute procedure. My suggestion would be to call ahead and work with them on a time and date. I'm sure if you just walk in and start talking about "hacks" they're going to want some of your cash.

That's about all I know but it should get you going. If you have any questions, I'll do my best to answer them for you.

Thanks!

Charles

• Moderators
I have a 2003 S.  I went to my dealer in Southern California a couple of days ago, and they said that they no longer have the PST-2, but a newer computer.  They tried, but could not activate my OBC. 

I have the DVD with OBC instructions, but they were for the PST-2.

Any suggestion?

I saw Peter today and he said he just turned on the trip computer on a 2004 with the new tester. Nothing has changed since 2003.

Abe's dealer could not figure it out with the old tester even with the DVD and Peter's instructions, so Abe contacted me and I gave him Peter's cell phone number and Peter walked them through it and it worked.

This is the new tester. I did not get to see it in action because Peter was working on a problem Boxster owned by a friend.

post-25-1093468514_thumb.jpg

Yea, the trick is "986310" or "986320." You HAVE to enter all six digits of that code in the "Order Type" screen.

Since this post here and another on PPBB, several of us 03/04 owners have made another trip to the dealer to get the OBC enabled. It works with the new dealer diagnostic computers and the old PST-II.

The OBC display you'll get will be the 2001 style 7 segment LED display. The full dot matrix display CAN be added, but it's expensive. You'll have to replace the whole cluster and I'm just not sure that's money well spent. Maybe if you had a relative in the salvage business that could get you one off a wreck or something.

Anyway, I went for the full 4-stalk approach. I know I could get 90% of the functionality I have now with a single momentary switch but I like the car to look as close to "factory" as possible. The full 4-stalk is a bit of work to install but I manged to get through it in about 2 hours.

Let me know if you have any questions. I'll do what I can to help.

Thanks!

Charles

• Moderators

You need to stay tuned to renntech for the latest and most accurate info.

Peter Smith is the one who came up with the retrofit instructions and figured out the 2003 issue. He showed me how to do it years ago. We have done about 40 installs over the years and filmed 4 of them, including a 2003 install. The PCA instructions for 2003 are also from Peter.

The first 2003 trip computer Peter turned on was September 17, 2002. There was an unsold 2003 in the showroom and I asked Peter to see if it could be turned on. Then he turned it on for Scott and Raman and we did the retrofit almost 2 years ago. Old news.

Peter wondered if you could enter any 6 digit code, like 123456, but he used the proper code for the base and S. Next retrofit I will ask him to make up a random 6 digits and see if it works.

Can't wait until the 987 come out. If there is an OBC retrofit that can be done I know who will figure it out.

This is Scott's 2003 being turned on in 2002.

post-25-1093970438_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...
Abe's 2003 was turned on before he did the retrofit. The two 2003s we did were turned on weeks before we had time to get together to do the retrofit. But on the other hand, you can do the retrofit first and then have it turned on.

I like it turned on first. I test to make sure it is working before we put all the parts back together in case we put a wire in a wrong slot or the connectors are not properly seated. I can't test if it is not turned on.

So you do not get confused, Loren has the old style instrument cluster and that is why he can see the temp display without the retrofit. You have a 2003 and with 2001-2004 you will see nothing until the retrofit is done.

Jonhale from the UK board was asking me for part numbers the other day so you better hurry up. He might beat you to it.

Hi Tool Pants.

I took my '03 Boxster S to my local dealer today to turn on the OBC and cruise before I did the retrofit for both. The dealer was able to turn on the Cruise , but couldn't turn on the OBC.

I watched as he accessed the dme control unit to ensure that the order type was correct as a 986320, which it was. After that step, he tried to go into the instrument cluster to turn on the OBC but couldn't access it to code for OBC.

What did/didn't we do right? Is there a step he missed? Can u provide pics and instructions of the process/screens to follow so we don't screw up again?

Thx..

• 3 weeks later...
Hi Tool Pants.

I took my '03 Boxster S to my local dealer today to turn on the OBC and cruise before I did the retrofit for both. The dealer was able to turn on the Cruise , but couldn't turn on the OBC.

I watched as he accessed the dme control unit to ensure that the order type was correct as a 986320, which it was. After that step, he tried to go into the instrument cluster to turn on the OBC but couldn't access it to code for OBC.

What did/didn't we do right? Is there a step he missed? Can u provide pics and instructions of the process/screens to follow so we don't screw up again?

Thx..

After changing the order type did he recode it and then do another control module search? I don't think you can enable it until it has been recoded and the module search has been repeated.

Chris.