Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

PSE Question - Sport mode on/PSE OFF?

I'm going to be getting the PSE installed on my car. I have the Sport Chrono option.

What I want is to connect the PSE wiring to the sport button AND install a second switch that will turn off the PSE even when the sport button is pushed. Specifically:

Sport button off - NO PSE

Sport button on - 2nd switch on - PSE enabled

Sport button on - 2nd switch off - NO PSE

It seems like people are doing the opposite...turning on PSE when sport button is off. This is NOT what I want.

Not having seen the installation instructions, it would appear that there must be a wire running from Sport button to back of car. In essence, can I splice into that wire (which I assumed is hot when sport button is on) and therefore cut the voltage so that PSE doesn't come on, even if Sport button is on?

Thanks

They are vacuum operated valves so that wont work, super easy option. Its called an inline switch. you just need to find the power wire to the relay or whatever that controls the valves. when the switch is on it will let everything be fine, but if its off (incomplete circuit) it wont do anything. Just have the installer set it up from where he powers the exhaust.

PSE is not that loud and IMHO not worth the effort of installing the electronics at all. You'll be spending a serious amount of cash on the install.

Many just run it in the default "on" mode and enjoy.

Cost breakdown.

Dealer

$1,750 minimum for the parts

$1,000 in labor for install.

Ebay/Secondary market

$1,000 for a super nice, barely used PSE

$100 of labor for install (you can easily do yourself)

3rd option

Have the input and output tubes on the muffler "bridged" and you've got a hacked PSE that sounds even better.

I opted for number 3 and LOVE it! Most others that hear the car are amazed it isn't PSE.

Here's the video:

My Exhaust Video

Here's the welded crossover pipe.

10898.jpg

This is the muffler before picture. The little chrome pipe next to the muffler is the Fabspeed Muffler Bypass Pipe - WAAY TOO LOUD!

10899.jpg

They are vacuum operated valves so that wont work, super easy option. Its called an inline switch. you just need to find the power wire to the relay or whatever that controls the valves. when the switch is on it will let everything be fine, but if its off (incomplete circuit) it wont do anything. Just have the installer set it up from where he powers the exhaust.

Let me see if I understand what you said.

When the vacuum valves are powered, they keep the exhaust in quiet mode, right? Or do I have that backwards?

Either way, I need an inline switch which overrides the sport button setting.

Please clarify. Thanks

I agree with Gundo. Have them install the PSE without the electronics. You will want the PSE in 'sport' mode (loud) all the time. It is not that loud. Sounds great. No resonance at all.

I have the PSE on my 987S...and love it...and there are no electronics hooked-up to my Sport Chrono.

I installed a Genuine Porsche PSE on my 996 a couple of years ago, never installed the electronics. Never regretted NOT installing them, simpler is better. I agree with others, sounds great all the tiime, not loud enough to be offensive, but loud enough to announce your presence, and it usually brings a smile to those who hear you.

• Admin

In a Porsche Sport Exhaust you apply power to a solenoid that actuates the vacuum valve on the muffler. A vacuum is required to pull a flap in the muffler to make it quiet.

So, if the mufflers are not connected to the vacuum line or the electronics are not hooked up then the muffler are always open (loud).

I had PSE installed and just wired a 12 volt source and switch directly to the solenoid. Complete on/off any time.

Sport mode independent.

Thanks. I finally realized that's the way to do it. You need to apply power to the solenoid all the time to force the valve closed, despite what the computer is saying.

Can you provide a few more details? Where did you put the switch? Where did you tap into a 12V source? Do you have any pics?

I also see you are somewhere in NJ. Perhaps I could see it in person, if you were ok with that.