Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Bedding In Brake Pads?

• Admin
When you replace the brake pads on a 2002 C2, what is the correct procedure to bed in the pads to assure maximum stopping performance?

According to the Porsche Service manual...

"New brake pads require a bedding-in period of approx. 200 km. Not until then do they achieve their best friction and wear coefficient. During this period, the brakes should be subjected to full stress when travelling at high speed only in emergencies."

Here's the bedding procedure that Pagid USA recommends for their pads. I don't see why it wouldn't work for the OEM pads as well.

"Drive at approx. 35 mph (60 kmh) for about 500 yards (solid front discs) to 800 yards (vented front discs) while slightly dragging the brakes (i.e. light brake pedal pressure). This process allows the brake temperature to slowly and evenly build up to 300°C (572°F).

Now, if possible, drive about 2200 yards maintaining the same speed without braking. This will allow the pads and discs to cool down evenly. After this cool-down, perform a normal brake application from 35 mph to 0. No panic stops!

Now, the friction surface has evenly developed friction coal, the pads have bonded with the disc surface, and tensions in the disc materials will have disappeared.

This bedding process is only suitable for the front axle - not the rear. This is due to the brake force distribution of front and rear axles. In order to reach 300°C (527°F) on the rear pads you would have to drive several miles with dragging brakes. However, in that time the front brakes will be glowing red, overheating and thus destroying the front brakes."

Karl

I just make a normal stop from 35 down to 5 mph about 10 times in a row. Drive about 1 minute between stops to avoid overheating. After that just drive reasonably for a couple of days and avoid any heavy braking from high speeds. I think you run too much risk of overheating by driving 500 yards while dragging the brakes. What you want to accomplish is getting the brake pad and disk surfaces to wear down a little and match up without glazing (melting) the surface of the pad.

• 3 years later...

I just replaced my brake pads last night with stock ones. Based off what Loren quoted from the Porsche manual, I'm just driving peacefully with no hard braking. 20 miles done, 100 more to go. I don't know, but I'm trusting Porsche engineers over Pagid (who are OEM for Porsche but ..)

I also put on new front rotors. Is there a break-in / bedding procedure for new rotors too?

On a side note, Loren thanks for the DIY. Great writeups and there is no way I would have done my own pads and rotors without it. Its really easy in hind sight but its a little nervous when you've never EVER worked on brakes before. :cheers: to you !