Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Hi, I just purchased a PSE and will get it installed next week. I've been reading about this and am wondering

about the cut off mod... what is that do exactly? Is this something I can ask the dealer to do?

I would appreciate any info.

thanks

Hi, I just purchased a PSE and will get it installed next week. I've been reading about this and am wondering

about the cut off mod... what is that do exactly? Is this something I can ask the dealer to do?

I would appreciate any info.

As I understand it, an after market installed PSE does not have the speed related switch to quiet mode.

The only cut out involved with the PSE installed after market is the electric switch on the dash which switches between quiet and loud (no bypass / bypass) modes. All of the required parts / wires / etc comes with the PSE kit except for the actual switch itself .... which makes no sense to me, but must to someone in Germany.

The only question for your installer is "with or without" the electrics. A lot of folks leave it off, as it adds significantly to the installation time/cost. I'm very glad I installed it for those days I drive out of the neighborhood at 4 AM. That's the ONLY time I switch to quiet mode, however, as I love the sound of the PSE.

The speed cutout is dependent on whether you connect a wire to the speedometer over ride. When I installed my PSE I also installed the electrics, but did not connect the speedometer wire, thus it does not go quite at the imtermediate speeds, only when I swith on the quite mode. You could also commect the speedometer wire and put a contact switch on it so that you have the option of having the speed over ride.

I certainly recommend the installation of the electrics, as it gives you the best of both worlds, quite when you want it, and louder when you want it. This is particularly nice in a cab like mine as the louder setting is very noticeable. The speed over ride seems kind of strange to me, I like it either loud or quite. I understand it has something to do with noise laws in certain European countries.

Correct me if Im wrong OE, with a PSE there's a sound cutoff at a regular/intermediate speed(which I don't want) and to disable it

I just shouldn't hookup the pK/grey wire. And I could still use the switch for manual sound cutoff.

plz let me know if thats right, I wanna make the most out of it at that $.

thanks

• Moderators
Correct me if Im wrong OE, with a PSE there's a sound cutoff at a regular/intermediate speed(which I don't want) and to disable it

I just shouldn't hookup the pK/grey wire. And I could still use the switch for manual sound cutoff.

plz let me know if thats right, I wanna make the most out of it at that $.

thanks

Yes that is correct.

Loren - I don'tknow if you are correct on this one. My PSE came with all the wiring, hoses, vacumm tank, brackets, etc. etc. The only tnhing I had to order seperately was the switch. And here you want to order it according to the years of your car, older models had glossy switches and newer models have matte switches. The wiring I received was a pre-made harness from Porsche.

Confusion. So in the instructions, what wiring they talking about( with all those colors and relays)?.. That means I gotta get wires for the switch and for all the way to engine compartement. do you know what kind of wires are needed(? gauge).

• Moderators

Loren:

On the PSE kits manufactured since 2003, the switch wiring, (but not the switch) has been included in the kit. The P/N for the harness and the other electrical bits is 996.612.978.00. The reason that a switch is not included is that there is both a left and right handed switch, you pick the one you want depending on where you place the switch.

The switch wiring is part of the harness that also powers the vacuum switch in the engine compartment.

psewiringbundle.jpg

If the kit does not include 2 bundles of wires (one with the relay socket on it, and the other with the Switch connector and the wires that go back to the engine compartment), then it is an incomplete kit.

The wiring for the switch just goes to the relay and the cluster.

I can send you the wiring diagram if you are comfortable with that.

Loren,

As if you don't do enough around here, could you please take a minute to send the diagram to me as well? I have a NOS PSE that didn't come with the switch or the wiring. The diagram would be a big help,

Thanks.

• Admin
The wiring for the switch just goes to the relay and the cluster.

I can send you the wiring diagram if you are comfortable with that.

Loren,

As if you don't do enough around here, could you please take a minute to send the diagram to me as well? I have a NOS PSE that didn't come with the switch or the wiring. The diagram would be a big help,

Thanks.

Um... for what model and year of car?

You were right OrientExpress, went to dealer they said the wiring is supposed to be in there,

didn't know why wasn't in the box and turned out to be lying around there... they gave me the wiring kit. :thumbup:

• 1 month later...

Cut off done, much better!

If I want to add just a little more sound to my PSE, what would be the best thing to do.

not that Im not happy with how it sounds, but I think I would prefer just a little more..

thanks

Cut off done, much better!

If I want to add just a little more sound to my PSE, what would be the best thing to do.

not that Im not happy with how it sounds, but I think I would prefer just a little more..

thanks

put a 200 cell sport cat in... this will make it louder