Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Hi Folks Greetings from Australia

I have a 98 996- the alarm of which has suddenly stopped working for no apparent reason. The Key-remote still has its little red light flashing when you press it, but the alarm will not arm. I've checked the fuse (Row C fuse 3) and its still intact. The car is totally shut when I try. I've altered nothing on the car. The only thing I've touched is the brakes-changed pads and rotors-which I would've thought is completely unrelated. I can still lock the car, however the alarm is not activated. Any suggestion to a cause/solution would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Jason

How do you know that the alarm is not armed ? Or is it the central locking system that refuse to work when using the remote control ?

Thanks RFM- Good question. The alarm and central locking are on the same fuse -RowC-3 which is not blown. Things like the blinkers,the red indicator under the windscreen are not active it appears. Not sure what to do from here.

Jason

Hi Folks Greetings from Australia

I have a 98 996- the alarm of which has suddenly stopped working for no apparent reason. The Key-remote still has its little red light flashing when you press it, but the alarm will not arm. I've checked the fuse (Row C fuse 3) and its still intact. The car is totally shut when I try. I've altered nothing on the car. The only thing I've touched is the brakes-changed pads and rotors-which I would've thought is completely unrelated. I can still lock the car, however the alarm is not activated. Any suggestion to a cause/solution would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Jason

Jason:

Although it's unlikely (because some of the other central alarm control unit functions are working), it would not hurt to check the fuse that is located at the back of the central alarm control unit under the seat.

If you do have moisture under that seat, take the unit out, open it up and dry it with a heat gun on low setting or a hair dryer and see if you get any different results. Even if the moisture is not apparent (it may have already dried up), you may have some resulting corrosion inside the unit.

Regards, Maurice.

Australia=RHD, so the control unit will be under the passenger seat.

Jason, from what you have said, I'm still not clear if the car is locking at all. Can you lock/unlock both doors with the key from the driver's door?

Edit: Also, looking at the fuse assignments on the wiring diagram, there seem to be two other fuses which relate to the alarm system - B8 and E1.

Edited by Richard Hamilton

Australia=RHD, so the control unit will be under the passenger seat.

Jason, from what you have said, I'm still not clear if the car is locking at all. Can you lock/unlock both doors with the key from the driver's door?

Edit: Also, looking at the fuse assignments on the wiring diagram, there seem to be two other fuses which relate to the alarm system - B8 and E1.

Thank you everyone for your replies. I can lock the car with the key, but no blinking of the indicators occurs. One thing I did notice on approaching the car form behind today was the red light near the radio was flashing and also the red light under the windscreen was as well. Also, the the interior is very dry-no ingress of water. I'll also check those other fuse references-Thank you all. Very much appreciated- thanks for taking the time.

Jason

On UK cars (and I assume Aussie ones too) the alarm LED at the centre of the windscreen flashes rapidly for about 10 seconds when locking the car, and then settles down to a single-flash every 2 seconds. The LED on the locking button flashes while the dash LED is rapid-flashing, but goes off once the system is armed. If the dash LED single-flashes, and there are no horn beeps when you lock the car, then there are no faults on the car side of the system. If it single or double beeps, and the LED double-flashes, then you have a fault. If there are no faults, do you have another remote key you could try? Failing that, it's a trip to a dealer or independent workshop to read out the fault memory.

On UK cars (and I assume Aussie ones too) the alarm LED at the centre of the windscreen flashes rapidly for about 10 seconds when locking the car, and then settles down to a single-flash every 2 seconds. The LED on the locking button flashes while the dash LED is rapid-flashing, but goes off once the system is armed. If the dash LED single-flashes, and there are no horn beeps when you lock the car, then there are no faults on the car side of the system. If it single or double beeps, and the LED double-flashes, then you have a fault. If there are no faults, do you have another remote key you could try? Failing that, it's a trip to a dealer or independent workshop to read out the fault memory.

Very astute Richard- On one occasion there was the double-beep you refer to, but only once. The LEDon the dash single flashes constantly like you say. The windscreen one I'm not sure-I will have tp observe more closely. For the time being do you think the car alarm is still actually effectively working?. I'm never more than a few yards from the car and never take it to "no go" zones of which there are a few in Sydney(Australia). Thanks again Richard.

Jason

P.S. Only have one remote key.

OK-This is the first time I've actually concentrated on what happens instead of a casual observation :rolleyes:

1. Locked the car with the key.

2.BOTHthe windscreen LED and dash LED blinked rapidly simultaneously for about ten seconds.

3. Dash LED then stopped.

4. Windscreen LED continued but at a slower interval.

Checked the car again after 10 minutes and no change i.e. windscreen LED only.

Well in an earlier post I stated the dash LED was flashing. This was true, so I don't know what to make of this now. Checked those fuses. Intact.

Jason

OK-This is the first time I've actually concentrated on what happens instead of a casual observation :rolleyes:

1. Locked the car with the key.

2.BOTHthe windscreen LED and dash LED blinked rapidly simultaneously for about ten seconds.

3. Dash LED then stopped.

4. Windscreen LED continued but at a slower interval.

Checked the car again after 10 minutes and no change i.e. windscreen LED only.

That's exactly what should happen. Unless you have some kind of intermittent fault, I would suspect the key remote. Try a new battery, and also see the TSB about changing it, as it shows a prodedure for resetting the remote.

Installed new battery today-no effect. I suppose this doesn't exlcude a circuit board problem with the remote, but how likely is this? The remote has never been dropped,subject to any shock nor has it been wet. I think now I need to have a error scan with the testor, but I know the stealer is going to do me over. :angry:

• 1 month later...
Installed new battery today-no effect. I suppose this doesn't exlcude a circuit board problem with the remote, but how likely is this? The remote has never been dropped,subject to any shock nor has it been wet. I think now I need to have a error scan with the testor, but I know the stealer is going to do me over. :angry:

Hi there, my 1999 996 C4 is having the same mysterious prob this week. I can manually lock doors, but key is not opening remotely with strong LED lighty thing and fresh remote battery. Would be interested in whether monro86 issue has been resolved and what the solution was. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there, my 1999 996 C4 is having the same mysterious prob this week. I can manually lock doors, but key is not opening remotely with strong LED lighty thing and fresh remote battery. Would be interested in whether monro86 issue has been resolved and what the solution was. Thanks!

This is really strange. A lot of people are having similar issues, including myself. Tried out the battery and tried out all the possible solutions posted here at the forum and it still does not work. :renntech:

My key remote stopped working today too. I can still lock and arm with the key-in-the-door-turn-3-times technique. I'm assuming it's the remote, because not a beep/flash/trunk pop with it, and the little key light flashes bright. Too bad I don't have another one to try it with. Anyone successfully fix theirs?