Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Short Shifter?

I had the opportunity to drive my brother in laws stock S2000. Nice car. The one element I found signigicantly better than my 986 was the shifting: smoother and shorter throws.(the shifter must be directly atop the trans or linked by rods). I don't imagine a short shifter would help with the smoothness of our cable driven 5 spd trans. Two questions:

-Should I go name brand short shifter or are the knock offs ok? No track for me.

-I've lubed the gear accuators on the trans. Other than that, is there any way to make shifting smoother? On motorcycles we lube all the cables by forcing essentially WD40 into the lines. However the 986 cables are heavly insulated in the engine bay.

Am I expecting too much from a short shifter?

• 3 weeks later...

ekam or anyone else,

Do you know if the part you referenced from Suncoast is OEM or aftermarket (looks to be OEM)?

The reason I ask is that I cannot figure out why a complete 997 assembly is cheaper than a B&M shifter only? Seems like too good to be true.

I am looking to replace my boot and shifter soon. While I am at it, I might as well try the 997 shifter as I am also in search of smoothness and shorter throws is a plus.

I know nothing of Suncoast as I usually order from Sunset Imports. I have heard good feedback from both vendors on this site.

Kind regards,

Halo

I cannot figure out why a complete 997 assembly is cheaper than a B&M shifter only? Seems like too good to be true.

This is a great question that got me wondering as well.....

Is the 987 assembly much superior to the B&M? If so in what aspects?

I installed a B&M two months ago and it does feel a bit stiff, but I love the short throws it gives. Had I known of the 987 assembly I would have sold my B&M online and bought the OEM piece - that would have allowed me to keep my original part (986) intact and simplified the installation since there is no need to brake the shifter from the base.

What is the difference between the two and why is the OEM cheaper?

All the best,

Gus

Edited by gandrade1

Okay, I just ordered a 997 shifter assembly today from Sunset Imports ($161) as well as some other parts.

They said that customers have been ordering these quiet a bit latley. He has heard from customers claiming a smoother shift than the stock shifter.

like Baconaire said "Looking for smoothness more than anything" and a little shorter throw wouldn't hurt.

I'll probably put it in next month while I am on vacation. I'll post my results.

Halo

I assume its the shifter base which has created the change in feel of the shifter for the 997 and 987 shifter.

Is it assumed that you could use this new base combined with one of the replica Ebay short shifters to gain both the shorter throw, and the improved shift action that the updated base provides? Would this solve both issues?

I assume its the shifter base which has created the change in feel of the shifter for the 997 and 987 shifter.

Based on what?

wow, tough crowd here......

uh, based on the fact that ive read that the shifting mechanism has changed. Its not just a lever or geometry change but that part of the overall console design was changed. What EXACTLY that entails, well im not so sure.

I said i assume, i was asking a question, hardly stating fact. I don't have both in hand to compare, but I am curious so i figured i would ask.

Cheers

Based on what?

wow, tough crowd here......

uh, based on the fact that ive read that the shifting mechanism has changed. Its not just a lever or geometry change but that part of the overall console design was changed. What EXACTLY that entails, well im not so sure.

I said i assume, i was asking a question, hardly stating fact. I don't have both in hand to compare, but I am curious so i figured i would ask.

Cheers

Hi Ryan,

I asked because it looks like you are on to something...

I recently installed the B&M, and it does feel stiff despite the perfect throws. If what you are saying is correct then you might just have found the perfect solution!

And I will be lining up for the 987 assembly too :cheers:

Best,

Gus

Edited by gandrade1

• 2 weeks later...

In response to why B&M cost more $. It's because they can (charge more) as they're the only guys around that makes these short shifters. In additon their shifter is made of stainless steel and aluminum which cost more to make.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I popped off my shifter knob and used a grinder to lop off 1" of my stem. I then matched the notches so the shifter knob would seat correctly. Popped the shifter knob back on and now I have a "short shifter". No muss, no fuss. It shifts the same as it did before. I've even considered taking another 1" off the stem but the leather shroud is pretty bunched up as it is now.

To do it I draped off the interior of the car with about four layers of thick canvas drop cloth. Be sure to monitor where your sparks are being sent. I burned through a couple layers of the drop cloth pretty easily. Match the existing bevels and notches and you are good.

Later,

-pvaughan