Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

986 Manuals

I was ready to order the manuals at $350 and then saw the RennTech special offer!

Loren, Jeff and I exchanged nice words about you and the educational value of RennTech.

Anyone with a 986 ought to have a set at that price.

:renntech:

I was ready to order the manuals at $350 and then saw the RennTech special offer!

Loren, Jeff and I exchanged nice words about you and the educational value of RennTech.

Anyone with a 986 ought to have a set at that price.

:renntech:

What are the benefits from such manuals that cannot be gleaned from Bentley and great resources such as Renntech?

Are these the Tech Manuals that are already floating around (illegally) in PDF format on the net or something else?

Bently, don't know (don't have) but it's hard to imagine it being worse than the $15 cd. Renntech; No pictures, no bugging people with stuff you coulda' found or should'a found yourself. + the more resources the better.

The cheap CD seems to cover most stuff but, it's nearly impossible to find. Amusing the factory manual is the same, at least you can flip through the whole thing with a keen eye to find stuff. The other thing is the illustrations, many have no context or point of reference.

I'd like to see the Bentley manual. If it is very specific (unlike chiltons and the like which seem to borrow from a generic bank for many illustrations and pics).

My 2 cents.

PK

Edited by pk2

Bently, don't know (don't have) but it's hard to imagine it being worse than the $15 cd. Renntech; No pictures, no bugging people with stuff you coulda' found or should'a found yourself. + the more resources the better.

The cheap CD seems to cover most stuff but, it's nearly impossible to find. Amusing the factory manual is the same, at least you can flip through the whole thing with a keen eye to find stuff. The other thing is the illustrations, many have no context or point of reference.

I'd like to see the Bentley manual. If it is very specific (unlike chiltons and the like which seem to borrow from a generic bank for many illustrations and pics).

My 2 cents.

PK

PK,

If you have never seen the Bentley before you are missing out. It's a incredible non-factory resource for almost every Vw, Audi and now Porsche I've owned and they are updated regularly (in the case of my Vw Vanagon)...I cannot imagine needing much more. Since you don't know the printed document I believe you are VERY confused in knowing the CD. First the CDs are inferior in quality because of searchability and navication to the hard copy...but they are hardly $15...I think the best prices I've ever seen for new is about $70, only a few dollars less then a new hardcopy. They are a headache to manage if you change computers due to upgrades, crashes, ect. I painful call to India can leave you so frustrated you throw out the disc (as I did with my Eurovan!).

The $15 disc you reference is most likely one of the horrible things I've seen on the market that may actually contain the Porsche Tech manuals this post references!

I asked if the Tech Manuals for sale are in fact the illegal PDF I've had for years as they are not very useful but a great addition to the web, Bentley, durametric...but from my experience are very lacking in procedures and drawings. They may be better for engine/tranmissions stuff but for sub systems they have often left me short. I usually have to use multiple resources to get the a good picture before I crack open the car.

As always the procedures of individuals and renntech.org members are the best IMHO.

They are easily 10 times the ressource in images, photos, specs and procedures of Chiltons.

Lastly, I am interested in the P-Tech manuals at $200.00 but if they are the PDF copies I already have, I'm not impressed. I like to own original and legit copies for my collection but I doubt I would use these a fraction as much as the Bentley and this board.

Rsfeller is right about the Bentley Service Manual. Very, very excellent tool that is by my left foot at this computer.

At even $350 I thought it was a good enuf deal to have the full set. But at $200 it is a steal. I plan to keep my car for a long time. And actually hope not to have to use the manuals.

Thank you Jeff at Sunset.

Those with old cars know how information dries up as cars age, and some manuals are reprinted with the same errors they originally had. And some are not reprinted or even remembered.

Anyone with a complete set of 914-6 manuals for $200 bucks (or even $350) please PM me.

Rsfeller is right about the Bentley Service Manual. Very, very excellent tool that is by my left foot at this computer.

At even $350 I thought it was a good enuf deal to have the full set. But at $200 it is a steal. I plan to keep my car for a long time. And actually hope not to have to use the manuals.

Thank you Jeff at Sunset.

Those with old cars know how information dries up as cars age, and some manuals are reprinted with the same errors they originally had. And some are not reprinted or even remembered.

Anyone with a complete set of 914-6 manuals for $200 bucks (or even $350) please PM me.

Yes $200 is a steal. Glad i spent the money!

post-16847-1216410761_thumb.jpg

post-16847-1216410772_thumb.jpg

post-16847-1216410786_thumb.jpg

Looking at the images on the folders and their organization those are in fact the hijacked PDFs I own. I do know there are some crappy version out there too but I do know I have the full version that is 600+ pages. I am very curious if PK paid $15 on ebay for these and were the ones with crude line drawings that he was not impressed with, we may be on the same page. I know some illegal sorts are selling the highly incomplete PDF version of these.

I only mention that to others who may inquire that although these are a great resource I spend more time with Bentley on standard DIY'r projects. These are the ones with questionable or cryptic procedures (at times) and poor line drawing on body systems in my oppinion. I used it when removing my convertible top frame and I recall it had me asking more questions then answering!

As stated before I am sure they are great for specs on engines and hard facts like torque specs.

EDIT: I stand corrected I do in fact have a copy of the incomplete version. I had this confused with a full Passat Tdi document that is 600+ pages!

Edited by rsfeller

I only mention that to others who may inquire that although these are a great resource I spend more time with Bentley on standard DIY'r projects. These are the ones with questionable or cryptic procedures (at times) and poor line drawing on body systems in my oppinion. I used it when removing my convertible top frame and I recall it had me asking more questions then answering!

Changing spark plugs comes to mind.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a note. The PDFs of the 986 workshop manuals I have are over 2,100 pages. And that is not including every year wiring diagrams from 1997 thru 2004. And I noticed that the set from SUNSET doesnt include a few items that I have such the OBDII manuals (DME 5.2 7.2 and7.8 ) as well as Diagnostic Manuals plus techniks. I think just about all the other PDF versions only cover 1997 thru 2001. The set I have covers 1997 up thru 2004 models with updates thru late 2006.

Its unfortunate that the poor old outdated copies are still floating around but don't condem all pdf's from a few bad versions