Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Windshield LED (only one) remain on even when alarm off

Car is 2001 base boxster. I noticed yesterday night that the inside LED light on top of the windshield around the IR sensor area remains on indefinitely whenever the alarm is off. It is the only LED light that won't go out after the door has been shut for a certain period of time. I checked the light several hours after the car has been sitting stationary and the darn light is still on! I wouldn't have caught this if I didn't decide to walk into my garage without turning on a light. It kind of surprised me seeing the interior of the car glowing softly. All other LED lights (e.g. both sides of door handle) eventually go off. However, once I lock the car by turning on the alarm, all lights are completely out.

Is this normal behavior? If so, I don't see the reason why. If I leave the car stationary for a long time such as weeks or months, won't this light drain the battery if I forgot to turn on the alarm?

That is why they make Battery Tenders for Porsche's. How long was it before you noticed the LED was still on?

My alram is goofing off, and all my LEDs stay on, and I am too chicken to see how long they could stay on if I don't

arm the alarm.

Hi,

Sorry. I just reread the topic heading and body that I typed this morning when I started the topic and maybe I didn't clearly explain my observations (my mind works in a strange way in the morning, especially after lacking sleep). =)

It's not the red alarm LED on the dash (if that's what you are referring to, Loren. That red LED light still goes on when alarm is on as normal). The alarm system seems to work fine. The particular LED I am referring to is the single accent (yellow) LED light sitting near the IR sensor on top of the windshield, near the latch to unhook the soft top.

The last time I drove the car was Sunday evening, and so this single accent LED has probably been on since then until I first noticed it last night. I then locked the car & turn on the alarm with the remote, and all accent lights are off (which seems normal). I turned the alarm back off with the remote and wait around 5 minutes for all accent lights to fade out (or so I thought). I checked that particular accent LED at this point and again noticed that it's the only one on! So I went away and checked back 2 hours later and that darn accent light is still on!

I am just curious if other boxster with accent LED lights have the same behavior for this particular one at the top of the front windshield? I know LED lights do not take much energy, but keeping it on indefinitely seems strange to me.

perhaps its me on the wrong track, i read this post as reffering to the amber orientation lights.

One at the top and one in each door handle, if so, Im not sure how long they remain on - mine seem to be on for hours but they are all out when i get in the car the next day

Bingo, Glyn!!! I was planning to take a picture of that light this weekend to provide a clearer description. That's exactly the LED light I am talking about. As you said, there is one in each door handle. I reread the manual last night and I guess the correct term is what you used, an "orientation" light. When sitting in driver seat, it is located immediately to the left of the "dome" light.

This light remains on for days in my car. The ones in the handles do shut off after half hour or so.