Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

996 to 997 Facelift

I have been looking to do the 996 to 997 facelift on my 996 C2. There are kits available that use factory Headlamps, bumper, signals, ect.

The only problem I see so far is that the fenders are reproduction fiberglass. All the pictures look great and is a nice alternative when you have

a Paid for 996 and will like a 997. Any comments or anyone that has done the facelift that can share the experience.

I have been looking to do the 996 to 997 facelift on my 996 C2. There are kits available that use factory Headlamps, bumper, signals, ect.

The only problem I see so far is that the fenders are reproduction fiberglass. All the pictures look great and is a nice alternative when you have

a Paid for 996 and will like a 997. Any comments or anyone that has done the facelift that can share the experience.

I had a friend who did that and he ended up spending a fortune that he ended up saying, "I should have sold my 996 and bought a 997 for the money I got from my 996 and the money I spent on the facelift.". The best recommendation is to save the money and sell your 996. The combined amount is like buying a 997.

Edited by Porsche_911

Porsche_911 good advice :) ,

Most fibreglass mouldings are poor quality and the labour charge to fit and finish to a decent standard will be thousands. You can get a 997 Carrera 2 for under £30,000.

I have a 997 GT3 style front bumper cover in fibreglass designed to fit the 996 bonnet/lights/wings. It took a lot of time (20 hours+) and effort to look perfect and now gets a positive response from all.

I can see the point, the 997 round lights are an aesthetic improvement but unless you or someone you know have the skills and time to do the work for free I would avoid.

One thought; you could get a 996 with light front damage and then convert as part of a repair?

Cheers

Porsche_911 good advice :) ,

Most fibreglass mouldings are poor quality and the labour charge to fit and finish to a decent standard will be thousands. You can get a 997 Carrera 2 for under £30,000.

I have a 997 GT3 style front bumper cover in fibreglass designed to fit the 996 bonnet/lights/wings. It took a lot of time (20 hours+) and effort to look perfect and now gets a positive response from all.

I can see the point, the 997 round lights are an aesthetic improvement but unless you or someone you know have the skills and time to do the work for free I would avoid.

One thought; you could get a 996 with light front damage and then convert as part of a repair?

Cheers

Thats a very good idea porschedr as well. They sell those salvaged 996 real cheap. You will have a lot of wiggle room for the make-over project. Possible cheaper than to buy a 997.

If the labor for the fitting is not an issue for me (part of the fun of the project). You guys

do not see any mayor issues for having fiberglass fenders? The car is not a daily driver

so I can spend all the time I need fitting the pieces in my garage on weekends. I will

also like to note that the cost of the parts needed for the front facelift (fenders, hood,lights, ect.) is

about $4,000 US.

I agree, I personally like the 996 over the 997. I have an 04 C4S Cab in Speed Yellow and I think the looks are cool. One thing I do not like about the 997 is the back engine lid "hump" which the 996 does not have. However the 997 has some real good improvements such as horsepower increase, better RMS and adjustable shocks, and wide body in the "S" model. If I liked the 997 over the 996, then I would buy one and sell my 996. ANy of the "improvements" that you suggested would cost you bucks and decrease the resale value of the car.

I agree, I personally like the 996 over the 997. I have an 04 C4S Cab in Speed Yellow and I think the looks are cool. One thing I do not like about the 997 is the back engine lid "hump" which the 996 does not have. However the 997 has some real good improvements such as horsepower increase, better RMS and adjustable shocks, and wide body in the "S" model. If I liked the 997 over the 996, then I would buy one and sell my 996. ANy of the "improvements" that you suggested would cost you bucks and decrease the resale value of the car.

+1. Sell your 996 and buy the 997 instead of a facelift.

Make sure you understand what you are getting with the Tech Art Wheels. They are very heavy and very expensive. Remeber that is "un-sprung" weight..

Depending how you drive your car it can make a big difference in handling.

Although the Tech Art wheels look awesome you may want to do some research for other lightweight brands, Possibly HRE. Compare the weight with the "look".

Just my 2 cents

Phillipj

I got the following comment from Jeffrey at XtremeMotorcars:

We set these up to go right onto your Porsche

maybe the comments at the discussion are aimed towards what we had to do taking the factory

997 fenders and parts and having to modify the parts to fit the Boxster and 996

that was a lot of work but once we were done we took molds and now the parts

will go right on,

Let me talk to my installer and see if they can give me a rough time to install

I will let you know asap,

• 2 weeks later...

TO do a proper conversion, i realy dont think its worth it, especially if you are in North America where cars are relatively more affordable. I did my 996 C2 CAB conversion around 6 months ago and it was quite painful. Fitting of the fibreglass wasn't that good and I re-sprayed the whole car too. I was quite happy with the conversion as I had spend around HKD 80000 (around 10K USD, of which more than half was for the paint job). just for your information, before the financial crisis hit, a 2000 C2 CAB (3.4 not 3.6) costs around 90K USD here, and 2006 C2 CAB (997) still costs around (150k).

The Conversion I did consist of 1) Custom Local fibreglass front bumber 2) Custom fibreglass front wheelarch panels 3) factory lights totally 6 and custom bracket. its cheaper but proper porsche enthusiasts can spot the difference right away with the different bonnet lines.

If you want to do it properly - i konw a guy who blew 20K US with these pieces instead 1) Custom front bumper 2) Metal bonnet 3) modified factory steel wheelarch panels 4) factory lights etc

Sorry i still dont know how to upload pics but there is a photo of my car here

http://www.28car.com/sell_dsp.php?h_id=283756

(in black with the 997 conversion) and here is what the car looked like before i bought it (ewww... brown on blue....!!)

http://www.28car.com/sell_dsp.php?h_id=246104

i decided get this car, coz its only 1 out of 3 manual-shift 996 cabs to ever reach Hong Kong and i cant afford a 997....

Here is another link to another 996 -997 conversion car, when u have bad fibreglass and poor paintjob, this is what you get

http://www.28car.com/sell_dsp.php?h_id=286624

• 3 weeks later...
Just wondering where did you get the lights with harness? website? Thanks.

its a local garage in hon gkong. if you like i can email you the details, pls send me your email address

theres some better pics of the conversion here...

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?&...tem&CID=941

like ur car....what suspension ur u running

thanks, just running affordable H&R coilovers (height adjust, no stiffness adjust).

handling improves but dont expect it to correct the huge bodyroll from a fat C2 cab