Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Wished U had heated seat in your 986/996?

Once U've gotten used to heated seats in your vehicle, it is hard to live without it.

Also wanting to increase my TOP DOWN DRIVING days even in those chilly winter days or cool summer nights.

There were days driving with the top down is a bit too cool to be comfortable.

This probably has been discussed in here a few times I also found a old thread by Vogel. But his cost summary was about $1200-OUCH!

Unfortunately my 986S didn't come with this option therefore I'm almost 90% decided on tackling this mod,,,

I might be able to get her done with less than $200+ a few hrs of my passionate time.

Now just wondering that many of U fellas out there wished having a heated seat option as well as would be interested doing this DIY.

Any input would be much appreciated.

Edited by juniinc

I have them...very rarely use them. The seats warm up pretty quick from body heat. If it's too cold to have the top down, I don't think you'll find salvation with the seats warmed. I've never used the red...used the yellow on those cold Southern California mornings when it gets down to 60 degrees. ;) We use the ones in the Cayenne's all the time...on our '08 S you can fry eggs on the number 2 setting.

Not worth the cost in my opinion, but then again, I like having the option! :D

Happy Holidays,

Bill B)

Heated seats were a must-have option for me. I live in Colorado and we use the car for mountain touring in the summer. We like to have the top down, but the temperature changes so dramatically when you climb that the heated seats really make it a lot more comfortable.

I have been thinking about adding heated seats to my open top Jeep as we take it to even more extreme altitudes. There are a lot of kits out there that are pretty easily installed under the seat cover. The electrical connections are pretty straight forward, and an interior shop could pretty easily install the heating elements for you if you didn't want to mess with removing and installing the seat covers.

If it weren't for heated seats, I would have spent a lot less time behind the wheel top down as the misses just wouldn't be comfortable. And when she's not comfortable, she's not happy. And when she's not happy......

Yeah my girlfriend has been complaining about how cold the seats feel when we just get into the car here in Northern California. I'd love to add heated seats to my car. I noticed someone on ebay selling a kit for between $200-300, but the switch system isn't to factory specs. It looks like it wouldn't take much to change the switches and such. Tell us more about what you're thinking here. I'd be interested in exploring this modification.

-Jeremy

I have looked into adding heated seats in the past. It seems fairly simple depending on how you do it. If you want it to be completely OEM look here, and get $2k ready. I was thinking about getting aftermarket heaters and wiring them into the phone power plug, which could probaly be done for less than $200. The problem is that if you want to use the OEM heater switches you have to figure out how to wire them properly which is what put me off.

Since the center of the seat back is removable it would be really simple to install just a backrest heater, you wouldn't even need to remove the seats. If you do end up doing this, post what you did and maybe some pictures and instructions I would like to see it. :)

Edited by rick3000

I have looked into adding heated seats in the past. It seems fairly simple depending on how you do it. If you want it to be completely OEM look here, and get $2k ready. I was thinking about getting aftermarket heaters and wiring them into the phone power plug, which could probaly be done for less than $200. The problem is that if you want to use the OEM heater switches you have to figure out how to wire them properly which is what put me off.

Since the center of the seat back is removable it would be really simple to install just a backrest heater, you wouldn't even need to remove the seats. If you do end up doing this, post what you did and maybe some pictures and instructions I would like to see it. :)

Upon taking a closer look those $200 heaters on ebay are a very thin sheet of heating strips that go between the top of the seat cushion and seat covers. I guess there is some tape to hold them in place. I'm not totally sure how different the wiring would be from the factory. I imagine all the power/ground lines have to run to the same places with just a different sort of switch (it looks like the switch takes the spot of a cigarette lighter. I think I'll ask the buyer for a digital copy of the instructions if he/she is willing to provide them. That would provide better insight to how easy/hard the install is and hopefully answer what else needs to be purchased to use the factory switches.

I'm interested and determined, but it will take a month or two to justify spending more money on the car to the gf. The car has already gotten its fare share of pampering this holiday season.

-J

I have heated seats in my Boxster, as well as my wife's Saab. Couldn't do without it now...

I wish there was a way to have air conditioned seats in the summer time though, because the back of the seats get really hot with the top down. I was thinking of running a tube to the side, by the seatbelt buckle, but I don't know if that would work. Anyone have any ideas? :)

Regarding heated seats though - I recommend it, but that's just me