Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Spark plug, normal or other issue?

I just finished replacing my spark plugs with the Porsche recommended Beru Ultra, 14FGR-6KQU, Porsche Part number 999.170.207.91. It was relatively easy to do following the DIY. After looking at the plugs, I noticed they were a bit dirty and the electrodes were a bit worn. My guess is the plugs are the original factory plugs when the car was built.

My car is a 2000 C2 996 with 66000 miles

Replaced MAF about two months ago (Clutch/RMS too) :D

I'm getting about 22 mpg HWY - about normal.

From the picture, is this normal or is there another issue I might need to be concerned with?

post-25004-1232427741_thumb.jpg

Side by side

post-25004-1232427760_thumb.jpg

Thanks,

Ken

Thanks for the spark plug guide.

All six plugs looked like the one in the picture. All plugs were tight, but easy to get out.

The rusty brown on the threads did raise an eyebrow. None of the rubber tubes were cracked.

Unfortunately, the previous owner did not keep any records of maintenance or any other work done on the car. The work I am doing is based on what i read form Renntech and other owners.

I do appreciate the help.

Regards,

Ken

Yeah, they look pretty good for 66,000+ miles. The color on the threads sort of looks like the color on the threads of plugs I've replaced over the years on different makes of cars. I don't think it is a problem.

The reddish deposit on the side wires is interesting. I have not seen that color on my plugs. I use Chevron or Shell gas and either Mobil1, Syntec, or Chevron Supreme motor oils depending on the car and I have never seen a reddish deposit.

• 2 weeks later...

they look great for that age!

and..

you can allways use the bosch upgrade for late 996 and 997 ,i have tested several and those was the best goodlooking

i was having at the begining the beru sparks ,they where goodlooking too but i was assuming that after 20k of working milles for the little sparks,a replacement is a must

Edited by ahamay

Thanks for the feedback.

This is my DD. I've made several roadtrips in the 150-250 mile range here in the southwest (lots of long straight stretches on the interstate), but because I tend to drive a little faster I wanted to make sure the plug wear is consistent with 'normal' for the car. Some with triple digit speeds - I mean within the speed limit :) . All is good.

A local "german & japanese" shop told me my original Beru plugs were good for about 100K miles. I have not doubt I could have continued with what I had, but it gave me peace of mind to change them.

Ken