Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Steering/handling question

Hello,

First let me introduce myself and thank this list for helping with my new 996 purchase. Just purchased a 1999 C2 coupe with 44K miles (couldn't resist the prices these days) from a local Porsche dealer. I drove many cars in my search for a 996 and found this one to be the best, so I bought it. I know the '99 may be a bit of a roll of the dice in the engine department but a PPI and the collective wisdom gleaned from this and other forums leads me to believe it is a good car. I hope it holds up.

Anyway, on to my question:

After a week of driving, I am feeling some strange things from the front end of this car. I read as much as I could on this forum about "floaty" front ends on US spec 996's and wonder if this is what my car is doing. The car gets sort of "darty" or "floaty" in moderate to high speed corners. Particularly on heaved or rolling pavement. I can actually feel the steering wheel pull a bit in my hands and the car can get a little squirrely. It will do it in a straight line as well especially above 80mph if there are rolls in the pavement. This gets progressively worse with higher speed. If I lighten up my grip on the wheel and try not to react to these motions, it helps a bit but it really seems to me this is not right.

The car was aligned by the Dealer before I bought it. I can only assume that it is in spec. Steering is nice and tight and it doesn't feel like there are any worn parts in the front end. It has 18" factory wheels with new tires that are the correct size. Tire pressures are correct. I wonder if this is normal for these cars or is there something amiss. I am considering Putting a ROW M030 setup on it but I'm not sure I want the extra ride harshness just to resolve a problem that could be something else. If this is "normal" I will definately put the 030 on on though.

I have owned 2 other 911s (78 SC and 87 Carrera) neither of those drove this way, but the half dozen or so other MK1 996s I test drove did seem to exibit this behavior to some degree.

Any thoughts? Any MK1 experts near me (Philadelphia, USA) willing to drive it and give an evaluation or let me drive their car to compare?

Thank you,

Doug Davis

• Admin

I would double check the wheel widths and offsets. I've seen 996's with incorrect Boxster size wheels and tires. This makes for a very "twitchy" car.

If the tires and wheels are correct it may be a worn suspension. Most folks find that the RoW M030 (sport suspension) makes the car handle a lot better.

• Admin
Loren,

Any way to determine wheel size/offset just by looking at them? Are they marked anywhere or is there a part # on them? Seems like I'd have to dismount tire and measure without a marking of some kind.

Doug

Yes, depending on the wheels they all should have part numbers on the inside of the wheels. Also the offset and size should be near the valve stem on some wheels.

post-1-1234225869.jpg post-1-1234225873.jpg

Ok, here is what Ive got:

Front: part # 993.362.134.06 size 7.5J X 18-ET50 Tires: Bridgestone RE960AS 225/40 R18

Rear: part # 993.362.140.04 size 10J X 18-ET65 Tires: Bridgestone RE960AS 265/35 R18

I will search for the correct size/offset in the meantime.

Thanks,

Doug

• Admin
Loren,

If I'm not mistaken, from some of your earlier posts, these are the correct wheels. Right?

Thanks for your time,

Doug

Yes, they are.

You can always verify them against the TSB for Summer Wheels. Tires and Spacers.

Not the best tires but I suspect a suspension change would give you the handling you want.

Agreed on the tires, but they are brand new so I think I'll use them for a while. Decided to go ahead and purchase the ROW M030.

I assume the ROW sport alignment specs you've posted before- http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?s...alignment+specs - cover my car ('99 C2 coupe)? The charts don't seem to show years or models.

Thanks for all your help,

Doug

Hello,

First let me introduce myself and thank this list for helping with my new 996 purchase. Just purchased a 1999 C2 coupe with 44K miles (couldn't resist the prices these days) from a local Porsche dealer. I drove many cars in my search for a 996 and found this one to be the best, so I bought it. I know the '99 may be a bit of a roll of the dice in the engine department but a PPI and the collective wisdom gleaned from this and other forums leads me to believe it is a good car. I hope it holds up.

After a week of driving, I am feeling some strange things from the front end of this car. I read as much as I could on this forum about "floaty" front ends on US spec 996's and wonder if this is what my car is doing. The car gets sort of "darty" or "floaty" in moderate to high speed corners. Particularly on heaved or rolling pavement. I can actually feel the steering wheel pull a bit in my hands and the car can get a little squirrely. It will do it in a straight line as well especially above 80mph if there are rolls in the pavement. This gets progressively worse with higher speed. If I lighten up my grip on the wheel and try not to react to these motions, it helps a bit but it really seems to me this is not right.

The car was aligned by the Dealer before I bought it. I can only assume that it is in spec. Steering is nice and tight and it doesn't feel like there are any worn parts in the front end. It has 18" factory wheels with new tires that are the correct size. Tire pressures are correct. I wonder if this is normal for these cars or is there something amiss. I am considering Putting a ROW M030 setup on it but I'm not sure I want the extra ride harshness just to resolve a problem that could be something else. If this is "normal" I will definately put the 030 on on though.

I have owned 2 other 911s (78 SC and 87 Carrera) neither of those drove this way, but the half dozen or so other MK1 996s I test drove did seem to exibit this behavior to some degree.

Any thoughts? Any MK1 experts near me (Philadelphia, USA) willing to drive it and give an evaluation or let me drive their car to compare?

Thank you,

Doug Davis

Hi Doug,

I think the ROW M030 is a good option.

I also have '02 996 C2, I installed H&R springs and HD Bilstein shocks, plus a front lip spoiler from Xtrememotorcars for better aerodinamics, all of these improved the handling of my car, now is way more stable, and specially at high speed or in the track, my next steep will be to upgrade to the M030 sway bars.

just bought a 2002 c4 Cabriolet. Not up on all the options, assume the ROW and M030 are options for springs and sway bars? Anyway, I don't want to turn the car into a harsh ride but am always interested in tweaking. How would a 4 wheel drive benefit from these changes? I am trying to get up to speed and reading everything I can, just have more questions than answers at this point.

Hello,

Thank you,

Doug Davis

I had the same strange steering/handling issue after I purchased my 1999 C4 Cab and had the alignment reset at the Porsche dealer. The front tires were more than half way through the tread life, and I believe the prior owner had incorrect alignment for many thousands of miles, which resulted in uneven tread wear. So, when I returned the car to proper alignment, the tires were just not going to work (I had the same crazy steering, with the steering wheel being moved around in my hand when I hit certain uneven pavement etc.)

So, I bought a complete new set of tires, and problem solved. I have 4000 miles on the new tires and the car has never had the strange and sudden steering issue since.

John

Even though I have not expierenced what is being mentioned here. I will say I notice maybe I am crazy, that the addition of a font lip spoiler which I just did, not only improved the front lightness condition, but also seems to keep the temp lower at high speed. I did notice without the lip spoiler a full tank of gas helped.

Kevin, what spoiler did you add, what suspension do you have and what is the front clearance? Thanks!!

Even though I have not expierenced what is being mentioned here. I will say I notice maybe I am crazy, that the addition of a font lip spoiler which I just did, not only improved the front lightness condition, but also seems to keep the temp lower at high speed. I did notice without the lip spoiler a full tank of gas helped.

Kevin, what spoiler did you add, what suspension do you have and what is the front clearance? Thanks!!

The spoiler droped the front 2 inches, stock suspension. The spoiler used was a razzi. It was a nice mode on the 2000 C2. I also have the Aero kit II side skirts for the 2002 and up.

I liked the razzi, because it is not fiberglass and has flex to it, paints nice, and keeps me from spending a fortune on a bumper change out. The actual appearance is even better then the pics. Was really easy to install. It fits like a glove. I am now contemplating putting a lip on it to lower more.

www.razzi.com.

• 8 months later...

Hey...

I have a 2005 C2S and have been experiencing the exact same steering phenomenon discussed in the post... Have sent the car to the dealer 5 times to check the steering components and they couldn't find any faults, along with these checks they did 3 wheel alignments (due to my constant nagging that the issue persists).... The dealer has assured me that they have done thorough steering component checks and that everything is ok (they even extended my warranty), however the weird wobbly floaty steering feel at high speeds is driving me crazy. I have test drove a friends 2007 C2S and it felt much more planted at high speeds.

Anybody find out what components may be the culprits of this issue.... I don't want to install a new aftermarket suspension system because i think the stock system should perform well enough if it is in good shape.

Many Thanks,

Ali...

i had this samr floaty unstable experience at speeds over 80. I had khumo tires. when i switched tp Michelin ps2s and put 14mm speaces in front and 7mm in rear feeling went away. don't know which was the factor, probably mostly the tires

Your car's a '99 so the shocks could be an issue. Even if low mileage, the seals dry out with age. Next, front lower control arms could also be worn.

Mine's a '99 US 996 coupe tip. When I changed shocks and then later the lower control arms, the difference was remarkable.

Congrat's on the car! They're a blast to drive.

Dropped tire pressures to 34 front and 41 rear cold. I was pleasantly suprised by the pressure adj., touched 125 on on open interstate and very stable compared to stock pressures of 36F/44R (floaty feeling front end). Adding GT3 spoiler lip tomorrow if it fits OK. Hope spoiler lip doesn't make an adverse effect, will post after test run. PS, only testing! because of handling issues in normal speeding range of 75-90MPH.