Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

best oil to use

hey nthere guys

just bought the car of my dreams 1998 boxster man 5 sp

subject oil change

i live in australia..sydney it does not get real cold in winter gets down to 8 deg

but in summer we can get 40 to 45 deg some days with plenty of humidity

could you please advise me which oil filter and which grade of oil i should use for max efficiency

cheers

hey nthere guys

just bought the car of my dreams 1998 boxster man 5 sp

subject oil change

i live in australia..sydney it does not get real cold in winter gets down to 8 deg

but in summer we can get 40 to 45 deg some days with plenty of humidity

could you please advise me which oil filter and which grade of oil i should use for max efficiency

cheers

:welcome:

I am assuming that you are referring to temperatures in Centigrade, not Farenheit.

Do a search here as this is a hotly debated topic.

Mobil 1 0W40 is one of the factory-recomended oils which is probably the most popular in the U.S.

There is also a current survey of the types of oil and the frequency of oil changes by posters on the Boxster Board at this link:

http://www.ppbb.com/scgi-bin/boards/986/main.pl?read=1472337

Good luck with your new ride. Post some pics when you get a chance. We love pics.

Regards, Maurice.

Do yourself a favor and change the oil every 5 to 6k miles. The M96 motor is prone to fuel intrusion into the motor oil which causes breakdown, hence lack of proper lubricating qualities. There are better oils than Mobil 1; the post referenced has some suggestions.

The M96 motor is prone to fuel intrusion into the motor oil which causes breakdown

What? First I've heard of that.

It states that it the manual. If you do a lot of around town driving, you can dillute the oil down with fuel.

It does not state in the manual that you should change the oil at 5K based on inadequate lubrication levels due to fuel intrusion.

The M96 motor is prone to fuel intrusion into the motor oil which causes breakdown

The article by Jim Pasha in the December 08 issue of Excellence magazine discusses fuel intrusion, among other problem areas. Very informative and interesting read.

Regards, Maurice.

Okay...as much as I didn't want to jump in on another oil post, excuse my ignorance, but who is Jim Pasha? I don't know him. Has Porsche recognized fuel intrusion into the oil? Has anyone had their oil sampled to prove the dilution of fuel? Can those sampling results be posted as evidence to this problem? If not, I would quit saying it's an issue without adequate empirical data. Blackstone or Oil Analyzers can verify fuel dilution in their analysis. I've not seen an oil sampling or met a fellow Porsche owner who's experienced this issue.

Bill B)

The article by Jim Pasha in the December 08 issue of Excellence magazine discusses fuel intrusion, among other problem areas. Very informative and interesting read.

Regards, Maurice.

Okay...as much as I didn't want to jump in on another oil post, excuse my ignorance, but who is Jim Pasha? I don't know him...

Jim Pasha had a regular column in Excellence called the Tech Forum (Unfortunately, he passed away before the December 08 issue of Excellence came out). He covered a very broad range of technical topics – some model specific and some of interest to all Porsche owners.

Regards, Maurice.

Bill, please spend some time reading the posts by Charles Navarro and Jake Rabe (LN Engineering and Flat 6, respectively). They have spent years tearing down the M96 engines to inspect wear and damage. Do you really think Porsche would admit to design flaws?

Charles and Jake have spent thousands of their own dollars to come up with solutions to improve these engines. The have hundreds of oil analysis samples that prove fuel intrusion begins at the 6 to 7k mile point. I know I am a "parrot" repeating their claims, however, with all the evidence they possess, why would I not believe their recommendations? The way Porsche has handled this matter, they are the last source I would trust.

You can continue to change your oil at the frequency you're comfortable with. However, when someone seeking information for their car asks questions, I like to suggest they go to the websites, read the data/commentary and make their own educated decision.

Okay...as much as I didn't want to jump in on another oil post, excuse my ignorance, but who is Jim Pasha? I don't know him...

Jim Pasha had a regular column in Excellence called the Tech Forum (Unfortunately, he passed away before the December 08 issue of Excellence came out). He covered a very broad range of technical topics – some model specific and some of interest to all Porsche owners.

Regards, Maurice.

Thanks Maurice. I'm sorry to hear of Jim's passing. I didn't know who he was. I appreciate the background. I need to pick up the December 08 issue of Excellence. I've never read it previously.

All the best,

Bill

Bill, please spend some time reading the posts by Charles Navarro and Jake Rabe (LN Engineering and Flat 6, respectively). They have spent years tearing down the M96 engines to inspect wear and damage. Do you really think Porsche would admit to design flaws?

Charles and Jake have spent thousands of their own dollars to come up with solutions to improve these engines. The have hundreds of oil analysis samples that prove fuel intrusion begins at the 6 to 7k mile point. I know I am a "parrot" repeating their claims, however, with all the evidence they possess, why would I not believe their recommendations? The way Porsche has handled this matter, they are the last source I would trust.

You can continue to change your oil at the frequency you're comfortable with. However, when someone seeking information for their car asks questions, I like to suggest they go to the websites, read the data/commentary and make their own educated decision.

Appreciate the reply. I agree with you. It is great to provide the information so people can make their own educated decision. I'm definitely an advocate of research and consolidating information from multiple sources. Especially with the investment we all have in our toys...I mean cars. I will read the posts you've suggested. Thanks again.

All the best,

Bill B)

What, exactly, is the physics of that? Why would fuel not intrude and not intrude and then all of the sudden start intruding into the oil, then magically stop again with the next oil change?

I would highly recommend Amsoil products. They are the inventors of synthethic oil and in my opinion it is without a doubt the best oil you can use in any engine. Just look it up on the net and look at the scientific studies - Amsoil beats every oil in every category. I could actually feel the difference when I first put it in my 99 Boxster. It had an oil leak when I bought it and as soon as I put Amsoil in it, the leak stopped and now it runs smoother, cooler and seems much more responsive. The same results in my 04 Honda, the engine ran smoother and is getting better gas mileage. So for my money I will never use any other brand of oil than Amsoil. Just my opinion. Thank you, Jerry

I would highly recommend Amsoil products. They are the inventors of synthethic oil and in my opinion it is without a doubt the best oil you can use in any engine. Just look it up on the net and look at the scientific studies - Amsoil beats every oil in every category. I could actually feel the difference when I first put it in my 99 Boxster. It had an oil leak when I bought it and as soon as I put Amsoil in it, the leak stopped and now it runs smoother, cooler and seems much more responsive. The same results in my 04 Honda, the engine ran smoother and is getting better gas mileage. So for my money I will never use any other brand of oil than Amsoil. Just my opinion. Thank you, Jerry

Jerry,

I'm an Amsoil Dealer and a huge advocate of Amsoil. Having stated that, Amsoil is not on the Porsche approved oil list. While in the US you can use any oil that meets the mfg specifications due to the Magnuson-Moss Act enacted by Congress in 1975 to regulate written consumer warranties, I would recommend that you use Mobil1 or an approved oil.

Synpsg (the company I'm affiliated with) sells Amsoil as it's primary oil and Mobil1 as well. These are the only two synthetics we deal in. I use Amsoil 5W-40 European blend in all three of my Porsche's and have since they were new...and I even get lifetime free oil changes at my dealer that I don't take advantage of. I believe in the product because of the industry recognized tests. When a Porsche owner calls our company for oil, I due recommend Mobil1 with an OEM filter.

Amsoil will not stop leaking. If your oil leak stopped after adding Amsoil, that's an anomaly of sorts. It is very competitive lubricant with the same properties as Mobil1. Amsoil was the first synthetic oil approved for automotive use in 1972. Mobil1 came out in '76. There is a much history behind the development of synthetics. Both are excellent synthetics. Just be aware Amsoil is not approved by Porsche. I have done all the oil sampling between multiple Porsche engines and Mobil1/Amsoil. They are both excellent oils.

The benefits of Amsoil synthetic lubes are many. Superior wear protection, increased horsepower, cooler running engines, reduced deposits, reduced oil consumption, resistance to oxidation and breakdown, easier winter starts - they all add up to less repairs and a better running, longer lasting engine. More importantly to most drivers today, synthetic oils can help improve fuel economy by reducing friction. Synthetic oils are the right choice for any motorist with a mechanically sound engine. All proven with data! (retrieved from www.synpsg.com/why synthetics, 02/18/2009)

If you switched you '04 Honda from conventional oil to synthetic Amsoil, you would see an improvement in fuel economy either way due to less friction. This has been clearly proven.

I always tell fellow Porsche owners to only stay with oils from the Porsche approved list, unless they've done their research and understand the data.

All the best,

Bill B)

• Moderators
What, exactly, is the physics of that? Why would fuel not intrude and not intrude and then all of the sudden start intruding into the oil, then magically stop again with the next oil change?

The exact reason is not really fully known, but used oil testing shows that fuel intrusion seems to come and go, even on a single vehicle. Problem is that when it does happen, the oil's ability to lubricate and carry heat away suffers badly, usually without the driver knowing anything about it. There has been speculation that it could be caused by certain batches of fuel or atmospheric conditions; but to date there is not enough solid data to confirm (or eliminate) specific potential causes........

The problem with the 15K oil change recommendation is that it is for "normal" driving and that isn't what 95% of us do. Normal is moderate temperature, moderate speed, few start and stops driving. But most of us drive our cars in the cold, in stop and go traffic, let them sit for intervals between uses, have a high number of cold starts, do some racing, etc. And those are all defined as "Severe" conditions and dictate a more frequent oil change than the normal 15k.

I do mine every year or every 5k whichever comes first. I use a Porsche approved synthetic of the approved weight and specifications. The person I know who has 210K miles on his Boxster is also following a cautious schedule of changes. Would I freak if, in the middle of a 7k roadtrip, my 5k "limit" ran out and I didn't change the oil...certainly not as most of those miles would be easy miles on the engine and oil. But I also take the Boxster on a 10 mile run to Walmart in 40 degree temps.

So much depends on your driving style, your location and your driving habits.

But I also take the Boxster on a 10 mile run to Walmart in 40 degree temps.

Mike, Mike, Mike, Mike. That soooo doesn't sound like you, The Sage Advisor.

When my Box comes out of the garage I run it until it hits 180 degrees. Than I head home and stop at the grocery that's a mile from my home.

Mrs Sixter's X5 is for shorts trips! :D :D :D

PS And if you'd move to the coast you could avoid a lot of :censored: 40 degree stuff.

PPS I completely agree on your oil schedule, except my goal is once a year. Which has been around 5k miles/year.