Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Battery Change 02 911

I've read through the thread on batteries. Pardon the stupid question, but I assume that since I have to disconnect the battery to make the swap that I'll need to reset the radio code. Is there anything else to watch out for?

Thanks!

I've read through the thread on batteries. Pardon the stupid question, but I assume that since I have to disconnect the battery to make the swap that I'll need to reset the radio code. Is there anything else to watch out for?

Thanks!

Window reset - it's in the owners manual.

I think if you get one of those 9volt cigarette lighter things from autozone, etc, you don't have to do anything. AAA changed out my battery when my car refused to start not too long ago, and they used this gizmo so no CEL, etc.

I think if you get one of those 9volt cigarette lighter things from autozone, etc, you don't have to do anything. AAA changed out my battery when my car refused to start not too long ago, and they used this gizmo so no CEL, etc.

No CEL's on the battery disconnect on a 996.

No CEL's on the battery disconnect on a 996.

if I use one of those 9 volt cigarette lighter charges then I won't loose any functions and won't have a radio code issue?

• Moderators

You can work with a cigarette lighter adaptor and a spare battery or with the system mentioned in the post above, take care not to touch the car body with the from the battery decoupled cables in this case. If you replace the battery without the cigarette lighter device,there is need for radio code and do a window reset. No CEL will appear, but some of the control boxes will have trouble codes in the internal memory. Do the replacement (without cig.lighter device) with the ignition ON to be sure, ROW cars will have an airbag fault and alarm troubles with the ignition OFF.

So would a 'maintainer' work as well as the 9-volt cigarette lighter adapter?

Can someone post the actual name of this '9-volt cigarette lighter..." thingamajig?

Thanks,

Alex

Edited by londoner06

Hey thanks very much jhbrennan!

Seems that this should be in every Porsche™ fitment tray :D if it avoids having to get the radio code and find the emergency release wires to open the front trunk, as well as resetting the windows.

Can someone post the actual name of this '9-volt cigarette lighter..." thingamajig?

Thanks,

Alex

http://www.autosportcatalog.com/index.cfm?fa=p&pid=52

I highly doubt it will work as it can't even power the dome's light, let alone the fuel pump and other electronics when you turn your ignition on. I think that's why RFM mentioned a spare (car) battery instead.

I highly doubt it will work as it can't even power the dome's light, let alone the fuel pump and other electronics when you turn your ignition on. I think that's why RFM mentioned a spare (car) battery instead.

The CTEK 7000, which is a souped up version of the CTEK model that Porsche rebrands and ups the cost, has a supply mode that provides power without a battery, and will supposedly provide 13.6 volts at 7 amps, which should be enough juice to save the radio code or pop the front trunk. I almost tried it on phillipj's car when his engine went kablooey, but he managed to get the front trunk open before we met up. I haven't tried disconnecting my battery to see what it does yet.

I have the Porsche battery maintainer and it is sufficient to retain clock, seat and radio memory, but if you have that connected, you need to wrap the positive connector in a towel or cloth and avoid letting it touch any metal part of the car when you're swapping batteries. Note, re-coding the radio is no big deal. It's restoring all your radio station presets, tone, balance and other settings that actually takes a while.