Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

My '07 C2S is, at times, dificult to engage in 1st gear. On occasion it feels almost like the clutch has not engaged at all despite being firmly pressed to the floor. Problem is intermittent but happens, of course, at in-opportune times like at a stop light with multiple cars behind you waiting to go. No problems in any other gear. Does not seem to be any correlation between the occurrance & operating temperature or how long since 1st start of the day. Any one else experience this problem and have any remedies?

• Admin
My '07 C2S is, at times, dificult to engage in 1st gear. On occasion it feels almost like the clutch has not engaged at all despite being firmly pressed to the floor. Problem is intermittent but happens, of course, at in-opportune times like at a stop light with multiple cars behind you waiting to go. No problems in any other gear. Does not seem to be any correlation between the occurrance & operating temperature or how long since 1st start of the day. Any one else experience this problem and have any remedies?

I assume your car is under warranty. Why not let the dealer take care of it?

This is perfectly normal in my experience. It happens in my '86 Carrera and also in my '07 C2S. It's the synchro design, I've been told.

1st gear is nearly impossible to engage unless you are going about 5 mph or less, and it sometimes doesn't go into gear when you're stopped for a short while. The way to avoid this is to ease it into 1st just before you roll to a stop.

When you do have trouble getting into first after being stationary for a while, first move it into the 2nd gear position and then it will go right into 1st with no problem.

This is perfectly normal in my experience. It happens in my '86 Carrera and also in my '07 C2S. It's the synchro design, I've been told.

1st gear is nearly impossible to engage unless you are going about 5 mph or less, and it sometimes doesn't go into gear when you're stopped for a short while. The way to avoid this is to ease it into 1st just before you roll to a stop.

When you do have trouble getting into first after being stationary for a while, first move it into the 2nd gear position and then it will go right into 1st with no problem.

Happens to me as well (05 C2S) I also experienced it in other cars in the past (Mustang and Vette). I usually press the clutch again and engage in 2nd then take it back to 1st. it always work.

to be honest im not bothered by it unless its a serious problem??

You don't even have to fully engage 2nd; just enter the gate and push it into 1st. Gears 2-5 have up- and downshift synchros, but 1st has only a downshift synchro, and engaging it from neutral is like an upshift. But I agree with Loren; put the onus on the dealer if the problem persists, and if it's still under warranty.

Edited by 355bhp

+1 on above. It is the most annoying trait of an otherwise fine gearbox (and automobile). I really would have hoped that by now Porsche could have addressed the issue. I have driven many a manual transmission including the Vette and Stang mentioned above and have not had such a frequent nuisance. And yes, it does rear its head at the worst possible of times!!

• 2 months later...

My car a 2006 Carrera does same thing. I complained to dealer and service manager said this is normal. What percentage of cars does this happen to be considered normal. Should I take car to another dealer? My 1996,1999 and 2002 911 did not do this. How difficult is this to fix? Most importantly, which would be the best dealer in tristate area to take car to.

Same happens to me and at red lights too, hehe.

As others mentioned, way to avoid would be to downshift to 1 right before you roll into a stop, that works. But I still fail to do that once in a while, so I get her going in 2. But the issue is perfectly normal and has happened in my other vehicles as well, guess it has to do with the way the gearbox teeth line up.

Sam

My car a 2006 Carrera does same thing. I complained to dealer and service manager said this is normal. What percentage of cars does this happen to be considered normal. Should I take car to another dealer? My 1996,1999 and 2002 911 did not do this. How difficult is this to fix? Most importantly, which would be the best dealer in tristate area to take car to.

This happens on my 2005 C2S as well, go into 2nd and back to 1st always takes care of it or just pull away in 2nd. Best dealer in the tristate is in Huntington NY, two fo the techs there are nationally recoginized as the best Porsche Mechanics in the US.