Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Scary Story. What do you think ?

too bad there isn't more coverage like this on blown Porsche engines. Maybe they would have fixed the problems long ago if there was. In normal conditions it will be a cold day in h**ll when Porsche would replace your engine.

But if this guy can keep up the media coverage he just might get somewhere.

BTW...Nice mural on the hood :eek:

Edited by phillipj

cars stored during the winter then taken out to drive,and driven slightly hard = death.

its like freezing a glass cup. then instantly dumping hot water into it.

One morning i went out to my VW Van '72 and it was very cold out. -25C. When i started the van the

accelerator cable was frozen and stopped in the full open position.

After putting some wd40 on the linkage and lock deicer in the key the van started up and

i drove it to work with no problems. Then the motor went on to do another 40,000kms before i sold it.

I agree the worst thing you can do is start your motor cold or after it's been sitting but it isn't like

Porsche doesn't have a history of poor quality engines.

Maybe Porsche is the new GM?

Second owner, out of warranty, no cause of failure given.

Car's fail. You want a warranty, buy a car with one (new, CPO, extended warranty). If you don't, you have paid your $ (less) and you took your chances (more).

Risk is priced in to the price you paid for the car. A new or CPO'ed car would have been more. Presumably, you knew the risk you were taking when you bought the car (limited warranty time left) and the price of out of warranty repairs. If you didn't, shame on you.

Now be responsible for your choice.

cars stored during the winter then taken out to drive,and driven slightly hard = death.

its like freezing a glass cup. then instantly dumping hot water into it.

I'm assuming you are referring to not warming the car up properly, because I have been doing this with my 986 for 4 years. I change the oil before I garage it for the winter, store it without starting it over the winter, start it up and drive it after a few good rainstorms have cleaned the roads off in the spring. It still starts first time, every time, the motor is still in one piece, and it still runs like a top. Of course, I maintain it properly, and warm it up properly before I drive it hard.

As long as you keep it maintained properly, use good quality oil, change the oil at a minimum of once a year or every 8000 miles, and warm it up properly - and completely before you drop the hammer, you shouldn't have any trouble.

Edited by Andy_M

I had always thought the only options in the case of a blown engine were to get a new/reman engine from Porsche or take your chances with one from a wrecker. (Flat6Innovations now offer good rebuilt engines, but they appear to be at Porsche prices.) Talking to the tech at our local stealer (who BTW says he sees blown IMS regularly), they now offer engines they rebuild themselves for CAN $6000. I didn't ask at the time if this included the in/out labour.

(Flat6Innovations now offer good rebuilt engines, but they appear to be at Porsche prices.)

Of course... The car is a Porsche, isn't it??

The engines we create aren't "Rebuilt"... They are fully updated and few of the original pieces are reused, most are upgraded with heavier duty components that are much better than the OE Porsche parts.

What Porsche did to create these issues was cut corners... The ONLY way to alleviate these issues is by making the engine more like a conventional 911 engine. This is done with the assembly given by ONE human coupled to Nikisil plated bores, billet chain tensioners, upgraded bearings, better chains and etc...

Addressing the 15 modes of failure as a standard offering is the only way we fly... **** right that cost money.

The assembly of one of our upgraded engines takes north of EIGHTY hours to complete.. Porsche dealerships charge 100-140.00 PER HOUR just to service your car.

Once you put that into perspective what we are doing labor wise looks cheap, then add up the cost of the parts and you'll see that it is a steal!

And every single engine has 12 hours of run time, has been Dyno proven and comes ready to install with no break in necessary..

Edited by Jake Raby

Jake, I wasn't trying to denigrate your product. I was just discussing options and cost.

In fact, I'm thrilled there is someone out there that's offering an improved alternative that addresses the engines' shortcomings. I've even been tempted by the thought of making a vacation out of driving to Atlanta to have the IMS fix done (I believe it's only available at your shop so far).

Jake, I wasn't trying to denigrate your product. I was just discussing options and cost.

In fact, I'm thrilled there is someone out there that's offering an improved alternative that addresses the engines' shortcomings. I've even been tempted by the thought of making a vacation out of driving to Atlanta to have the IMS fix done (I believe it's only available at your shop so far).

I second that emotion... I have been corresponding with Jake via email, and it's starting to look like the best value for the money might be a custom-build like his. I suffered IMS failure and am reaaallly nervous about putting another stock Porsche motor in my '01 S. I want the car to perform at its best, and financially, I need the car to last longer than the two months I got out of it before the 60k engine stroked out. Jake's motor appears to provide more horses and reliability for not too much more dough than your dealer would soak you for a Porsche remanufactured turd. Check out my thread- I'll update it as I research options. Jake- discount for the plug? Just kidding!

:)