Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Passenger side door not unlocking

99 2.5, US spec

When I lock/unlock the doors I can feel a vibration from the door - like it is unlocking - but it will not open from inside or outside.

So the electronics seems to be working and the cables are connected.

Is there a likely fix for this, or do I need a new door lock mechanism?

Atle

atta, you can remove the lock so very easilly and strip it down, lubricate and reassemble.

You can also remove the lock and connect it up electrically and watch what happens when you lock and unlock the car, remember to push a screwdriver or flat blade into the lock so the catch mechanism closes in the same way it would if the door was shut - then do your test.

Should be able to nail this blighter easilly

atta, you can remove the lock so very easilly and strip it down, lubricate and reassemble.

You can also remove the lock and connect it up electrically and watch what happens when you lock and unlock the car, remember to push a screwdriver or flat blade into the lock so the catch mechanism closes in the same way it would if the door was shut - then do your test.

Thanks. That would probably be easy if I only could get the door open! Right now it is locked and I cannot open it. Guess I need to try to pry off the door panel. But then what?

Atle

Thanks. That would probably be easy if I only could get the door open! Right now it is locked and I cannot open it. Guess I need to try to pry off the door panel. But then what?

Atle

Atle:

If you are able to remove the door panel with the door still closed, you will have access to all of the parts/components that operate on the door lock.

If it is something electrical that has failed, you will be able to reach the door lock mechanism and you can then trip it manually.

Regards, Maurice.

I assume you have tried the button on the dash to unlock the door?

Not sure how you could remove the door card with the door shut without destoying it as the sides but up to the rubber seal on the door apperture.

However once it is off you will be able to get to the lock and manually relese the door catch irrespective of whether the electronics have locked the lock, perhaps its time to speak to a good indie or someone else on the forum, there must be a way to overcome your problem.

Not sure how you could remove the door card with the door shut without destoying it as the sides but up to the rubber seal on the door apperture.

However once it is off you will be able to get to the lock and manually relese the door catch irrespective of whether the electronics have locked the lock, perhaps its time to speak to a good indie or someone else on the forum, there must be a way to overcome your problem.

Hi. It's not an electronics problem. I can hear (and feel) the lock engaging when I lock/unlock the doors, using the dash switch, remote or key. But I cannot open the passenger side door. When I pull the inner or outer door handle the window drops, but the door will not open. Even with the door card off I'm not sure I would be able to release it?

A.

Hi. It's not an electronics problem. I can hear (and feel) the lock engaging when I lock/unlock the doors, using the dash switch, remote or key. But I cannot open the passenger side door. When I pull the inner or outer door handle the window drops, but the door will not open. Even with the door card off I'm not sure I would be able to release it?

A.

The window dropping 1/2 inch when you pull on the inner or outer door handle only means that the two microswitches behind each of the two respective handles are functioning.

The fact that the door does not open by pulling on either of the handles points AWAY from the cable from the inner door handle or the mechanism from the outer door handle to the lock being broken (i.e., it's unlikely that they both went at the same time).

There is a third microswitch located inside the door lock mechanism which, when it goes bad, often starts out by being intermittent.

What happens when you press the "lock" "unlock" button on the dashboard? Does the red light go on when you press lock and then it stays locked (red) even when you press the unlock side of the button?

Answering those questions will help narrow it down to that microswitch or possibly point to the alarm module under the seat.

The fact that the driver's door is not affected again points to that third microswitch on the passenger door.

Regards, Maurice.

The window dropping 1/2 inch when you pull on the inner or outer door handle only means that the two microswitches behind each of the two respective handles are functioning.

The fact that the door does not open by pulling on either of the handles points AWAY from the cable from the inner door handle or the mechanism from the outer door handle to the lock being broken (i.e., it's unlikely that they both went at the same time).

There is a third microswitch located inside the door lock mechanism which, when it goes bad, often starts out by being intermittent.

What happens when you press the "lock" "unlock" button on the dashboard? Does the red light go on when you press lock and then it stays locked (red) even when you press the unlock side of the button?

Answering those questions will help narrow it down to that microswitch or possibly point to the alarm module under the seat.

The fact that the driver's door is not affected again points to that third microswitch on the passenger door.

Regards, Maurice.

Everything functions as normal, except there is no resistance - and the door does not open - when I pull either door handle.

A.

PROBLEM SOLVED.

Tried pushing and pulling the door handles while locking/unlocking and then suddenly (after 30 or so cycles) it unlocked! Pushed a screwdriver in to lock it, and it would not unlock again. Pulled door panel and after a lot of fiddling around found out that if I detached the cable to the outer door handle everything was fine again. Reattached it, and now it works.

Know how if you pull up the handle when you unlock that you need to lock/unlock with the handle down to get it to open? My kids do that all the time.. pull the door handle at the same time I unlock. Well, I had the outer door handle off the door (painted the car) and must have attached it too tight. Must be a small margin, cause everything has been fine for a week now. I should have mentioned this, but I did not think it was related as everything had been working fine...

A.

PROBLEM SOLVED.

Tried pushing and pulling the door handles while locking/unlocking and then suddenly (after 30 or so cycles) it unlocked! Pushed a screwdriver in to lock it, and it would not unlock again. Pulled door panel and after a lot of fiddling around found out that if I detached the cable to the outer door handle everything was fine again. Reattached it, and now it works.

Know how if you pull up the handle when you unlock that you need to lock/unlock with the handle down to get it to open? My kids do that all the time.. pull the door handle at the same time I unlock. Well, I had the outer door handle off the door (painted the car) and must have attached it too tight. Must be a small margin, cause everything has been fine for a week now. I should have mentioned this, but I did not think it was related as everything had been working fine...

A.

+1.

Thanks for posting the solution.

Regards, Maurice.