Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

GT3 Buyers Guide

quozl

Hi everyone, my first post here, after reading through all four pages of threads and using the search feature I have been unable to find anything pointing to a second hand buyers guide for the 997 GT3 and I am hoping I can get some pointers.

I am looking at purchasing a second hand 997 GT3 in the near future if the right one can be found for me and I am interested in knowing if there is anything I should be looking out for in the cars maintenance records that has or hasn't been done or if there are any factory recalls / TSB's?? that I should be asking the the seller / dealer about.

I have read a couple of the posts in this area about the Rear Main Seal leak and was surprised to read that it seems the issue has not been rectified as I thought it had only been a problem with the series 1 996 GT3 cars, is this still an issue that needs to be looked at with the 997 model?

Any help pointing me to a buyers guide or general info on what to make sure I check any potential car for before purchase would be greatly appreciated, in all likelihood I will be purchasing a Porsche pre approved second hand car with warranty so hopefully if anything does go wrong it wont be an issue but being forewarned on what to check for may give me a bit more bargaining power.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide

Cheers Alastair

Hi everyone, my first post here, after reading through all four pages of threads and using the search feature I have been unable to find anything pointing to a second hand buyers guide for the 997 GT3 and I am hoping I can get some pointers.

I am looking at purchasing a second hand 997 GT3 in the near future if the right one can be found for me and I am interested in knowing if there is anything I should be looking out for in the cars maintenance records that has or hasn't been done or if there are any factory recalls / TSB's?? that I should be asking the the seller / dealer about.

I have read a couple of the posts in this area about the Rear Main Seal leak and was surprised to read that it seems the issue has not been rectified as I thought it had only been a problem with the series 1 996 GT3 cars, is this still an issue that needs to be looked at with the 997 model?

Any help pointing me to a buyers guide or general info on what to make sure I check any potential car for before purchase would be greatly appreciated, in all likelihood I will be purchasing a Porsche pre approved second hand car with warranty so hopefully if anything does go wrong it wont be an issue but being forewarned on what to check for may give me a bit more bargaining power.

Cheers Alastair

http://www.gtpurelyporsche.com/pastissue.asp?issueID=17 ... this mag had a GT3 997 buyers guide ... does anyone have this article and would love as well if they can scan and post ...

EDIT: i found it ... yay!!!!!!!!!!!!! http://www.gtpurelyporsche.com/downloadtra...File=997GT3.pdf.

by the way regarding the RMS, the porsche tech replaced it with a 996TT seal, and so far no problem .... people mentioning it reduces HP by 5, i honestly cant see how a seal can do this ...

Edited by adamr_ZA

Cheers Alastair

http://www.gtpurelyporsche.com/pastissue.asp?issueID=17 ... this mag had a GT3 997 buyers guide ... does anyone have this article and would love as well if they can scan and post ...

EDIT: i found it ... yay!!!!!!!!!!!!! http://www.gtpurelyporsche.com/downloadtra...File=997GT3.pdf.

by the way regarding the RMS, the porsche tech replaced it with a 996TT seal, and so far no problem .... people mentioning it reduces HP by 5, i honestly cant see how a seal can do this ...

Absolutely brilliant adamr, thank you so much for the link, this is exactly what I was looking for. So is the RMS a problem I should look out for on the 997 GT3 as well then or were you just unlucky with your car?

Again thanks for the PDF it will help me to pick the right car.

Cheers Alastair

Cheers Alastair

Absolutely brilliant adamr, thank you so much for the link, this is exactly what I was looking for. So is the RMS a problem I should look out for on the 997 GT3 as well then or were you just unlucky with your car?

Cheers Alastair

the RMS apparently was pretty common on a lot of GT3's RS included, so i have been told. My particular one used to leak one drop per week ... told the mech about the 996 seal, and he first looked at me stumped! i think he did his own homework and then just put in the 996TT seal

Cheers Alastair

Cheers Alastair

the RMS apparently was pretty common on a lot of GT3's RS included, so i have been told. My particular one used to leak one drop per week ... told the mech about the 996 seal, and he first looked at me stumped! i think he did his own homework and then just put in the 996TT seal

Thanks again adamr the info is very much appreciated, I will make sure to ask if it has been replaced and will get an independent mechanic to look over any of the cars before I make a final decision on one. I also found some good info to make sure I check on any potential car in the 996 GT3 forum such as the number of type 1 and 2 over revs and a few other things to keep an eye on. I'm feeling a lot more confident about what to look out for now, this site has been a great help.

Cheers Alastair

Edited by quozl

Cheers Alastair

Cheers Alastair

Thanks again adamr the info is very much appreciated, I will make sure to ask if it has been replaced and will get an independent mechanic to look over any of the cars before I make a final decision on one. I also found some good info to make sure I check on any potential car in the 996 GT3 forum such as the number of type 1 and 2 over revs and a few other things to keep an eye on. I'm feeling a lot more confident about what to look out for now, this site has been a great help.

Cheers Alastair

The RMS leak was VERY VERY common. Some people have had it replace multiple times with no success. A few of us (knock on wood) have not had any leaks yet.

If the seal is leaking a very little bit, or weeping on the chassis components, driving the car more often seems to reduce it. Some folks have had significant amounts of oil leak on garage floor. That's not good.

Sometimes the new 997 GT3 seal works, many times it doesn't. So far, those that have put in TT seem to NOT be having any leaks. Although that is an unapproved fix by Porsche. My service guy said the TT seal makes too much noise, and that's why it's not recommended. People who have had it done, have not complained.

Thanks sws1 for the extra info on the RMS I had read that the issue was solved with the Series 2 996 cars but I guess its not and I'm glad I joined here to check on these things.

Thanks adamr for the warm welcome and all the info. While I'll be new to owning a Porsche, I have been a member of the club here in Queensland, Australia for a number of years now as they have a great motor sport section with numerous track days throughout the year that I have taken advantage of and I also have a few friends in the club who encouraged me to join, one thing has lead to another and while looking for a new car we decided it was as good a time as any to look at a second hand 997 GT3.

Again thank you both for all the info I have a great list of items to check on the prospective cars and it is giving both myself and my wife / navigator great piece of mind knowing what to look out for before deciding on one.

Cheers Alastair

Edited by quozl

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...

You mean to tell me that the RMS problem still exists even with the new 997 NA motors? Or is it a option? Self changing oil.

Thought about getting a RS but now I'm thinking of just sticking with the TT... they seem to be pretty bullet proof no matter how hard you drive them and I can't stomach paying that much for a car that leaks like a Harley no matter how cool it looks.

Too bad... they are wicked good looking.

• 2 years later...

Hi all,

I am looking for some buyers guide info on the Mk1 997 GT3's. The links above seem to have expired. Does anyone have the documents they could post up ? It would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Brett