Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

is there supposed to be oil in there?

i decided to take a look at the motor for the 1st time after owning the car for 4 months. It took me 30 min to figure this out and i will never forget it again.

When i got the access cover, or whatever it's called off, i found weeping oil around that tube area.

I do all of my own maintenance but this is my 1st porsche so don't laugh too hard at my descriptions.

there was an oil buildup around the hose clamps. When i removed the tubing, there is oil resting on the bottom. From the way it looks, there is a pcv type tube that feeds into these bigger ones.

Is it normal to have this in there? if yes, then i'll leave it alone. If no, what do i do to remedy the situation

369928590.jpg

before i messed with anything, i noticed that this hose that goes from the hydraulic reservoir was not attached to anything. Does it just lay there? I am in the process of checking now, so i may have it figured out later

369928614.jpg

i decided to take a look at the motor for the 1st time after owning the car for 4 months. It took me 30 min to figure this out and i will never forget it again.

When i got the access cover, or whatever it's called off, i found weeping oil around that tube area.

I do all of my own maintenance but this is my 1st porsche so don't laugh too hard at my descriptions.

there was an oil buildup around the hose clamps. When i removed the tubing, there is oil resting on the bottom. From the way it looks, there is a pcv type tube that feeds into these bigger ones.

Is it normal to have this in there? if yes, then i'll leave it alone. If no, what do i do to remedy the situation

369928590.jpg

before i messed with anything, i noticed that this hose that goes from the hydraulic reservoir was not attached to anything. Does it just lay there? I am in the process of checking now, so i may have it figured out later

369928614.jpg

There is a device called an air oil separator that is mounted near the throttle body and has a flying saucer shaped top, with some tubes that connect to the throttle body, a tube on the very bottom and one that snakes over to cylinder four. The AOS is like a complicated PCV system - its purpose is to take misted oil out of the system and send it into the intake to be burned. When it is not working correctly, it can send liquid oil into the intake, which can then often cause a lot of smoking because the liquid oil is being burned in the cylinders, usually number 4, 5 and 6. Search on renntech, and you will find lots of discussion on the AOS, but if you have oil in the air distributors, that is the likely culprit.

Use a rag to clean them out, including the tube that goes from the AOS to the throttle body, and you will want to clean the throttle body while you are in there.

The tube from the power steering reservoir does not connect to anything - it is just an overflow tube.

I did see the aos, i t looks like it sits next to the rear quarter panel all by itself. I had disconnected that pcv tube from the bigger air tube, so i think i know what you are talking about.

I have not had any smoke or other issues with it as of yet.

thanks for the info

I second the motion that is probably an AOS issue. There is a TON of information on this forum on how to replace the AOS, and the parts you need to do the job yourself (depending on whether or not you have an e-gas car, or older).

Depending upon your driving, or if you go to the track, you may also want to research purchasing and fitting your vehicle with the "beefier" version of the AOS that Porsche uses on their track cars that will fit in the Boxster. This is the Motorsports AOS, which is a bigger, and bit more tight fitting, but features a completely dual compartment AOS meant for handling more aggressive driving (i.e. sharper turns at high velocity).

thanks all for the info. after searching for the aos, others have ahd the same issue an i have. It doesn't seem terribly bad, but will need to be adddressed at some point in the future.

Having mostly asian cars, this is an entirely different animal and will help me when i purchase a 996 or 997 in a few years.

thanks all for the info. after searching for the aos, others have ahd the same issue an i have. It doesn't seem terribly bad, but will need to be adddressed at some point in the future.

Having mostly asian cars, this is an entirely different animal and will help me when i purchase a 996 or 997 in a few years.

Just keep in mind, having oil in your intake is NOT a good thing and can lead to some "not so pleasant" troubleshooting and further problems down the road if you don't change it out soon. I would HIGHLY recommend you take the time "NOW" to purcahse a new AOS from Sunset Imports (cheapest Porsche parts around), and DIY to fix this issue before running into other problems later. Yes, it's not a "fun" thing to fix, and it takes a little time and patience to replace, but it's well worth it in the end. The improved and re-designed AOS' Porsche now sells are also most likely at least a few revisions beyond what you currently have installed.

I too have oil on the intake tubes.

Few months ago I asked ( here ) if this was an issue or not, but with the replies I got, I didn't bother to open the tubes. Looks like I should ;-)

i wasn't sure how much oil was in the tubes since i found so much on the outside. There was oil laying on the inside of the tubes.

I removed the throttle body and the intake tube connected to it, and there is oil laying on the bottom of the tube:

post-24341-1248353987_thumb.jpg

There is also oil in the tube coming from the AOS:

post-24341-1248354030_thumb.jpg

So I guess next step is to change the AOS.

I wanted to remove the other intake tube, but there a small tube with a Y stuck in it, and I don't know how to remove it:

post-24341-1248354187_thumb.jpg

Can I just yank it without breaking anything?

Actually, what the easiest way to remove these intake tubes? Do you push the rubber rings on them or out of them on the manifolds?

Thanks to all.

(Sorry for the crappy cell phone pictures).

I removed the throttle body and the intake tube connected to it, and there is oil laying on the bottom of the tube:

I wanted to remove the other intake tube, but there a small tube with a Y stuck in it, and I don't know how to remove it:

Actually, what the easiest way to remove these intake tubes? Do you push the rubber rings on them or out of them on the manifolds?

Thanks to all.

What year make and model of your car is this? I'm wondering if your car is an E-GAS model or not.

• Admin

Thanks to all.

What year make and model of your car is this? I'm wondering if your car is an E-GAS model or not.

2002 according to his profile.

You can see the egas throttle body in the first pic in the first post.

Yes, that's correct, MY02, egas. Sorry I forgot to mention.

It's hard to tell from the pic, but that "looks like" the Y-Tube you will also likely need to replace. I believe the part # is 996 107 146 00. But I may be wrong.

That needs to be disconnected. See this pic:

Egasy-tubeforAOS00_0660-full;init:.jpg

It's hard to tell from the pic, but that "looks like" the Y-Tube you will also likely need to replace. I believe the part # is 996 107 146 00. But I may be wrong.

Yes, I do see which Y tube you're talking about, I'll make sure to order one.

Does anybody know how to remove the small Y (red arrow on my picture above)?

Does anybody know how to remove the small Y (red arrow on my picture above)?

Yes, you can just pull it off. It is part off the vacuum system and connects the check valve to another of the small "Y" tubes as the bottom of the vacuum reservoir. Attached pictures shows mine removed and parts for the vacuum system rebuild and shut-off valve replacement I will be doing this weekend.

post-9146-1248388846_thumb.jpgpost-9146-1248389749_thumb.jpg

Thanks to all.

You can see the egas throttle body in the first pic in the first post.

Is the Throttle body for egas shown in the first pic on the RHS the mettal looking thing in the centre right of the picture with cooling fan like things facing the camera? I want to clean mine after i replace my AOS as my engine bay looks like his

• 4 months later...

after i had things cleaned up, the part at the red arrow was disconnected and i kept throwing codes. When 1st assembling it, i must have been rushing. I took everything apart and made sure everything was connected. Once i found this was disconnected the codeswent away!

I will have to look at replacing the aos this winter also.

post-24341-1248353987_thumb.jpg

post-24341-1248354030_thumb.jpg

post-24341-1248354187_thumb.jpg

Thanks to all.