Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Litronic electrics - where to find?

Model and year of your car please?

I am replacing the headlights of an '00S but keeping them litronic

-- looking to put them in a 99 Base.

Long story short, insurance is replacing the lamps of my '00S -- but the slight

imperfections are such that

I might consider putting them in my '99 but would need the electrics

mike

mike here is a link to a writeup on Litronic install,

http://www.realtime.net/~rentner/Porsche/L...s_Starting.html

I installed a set on a 1997. They work without any speacial wiring. However if you want to have them rotate up with high beam you must install the control box.

Porsche has a tech bulletin that explains it all.

http://www.realtime.net/~rentner/Porsche/L...tions/9415.html

Garth

I installed a set on a 1997. They work without any speacial wiring. However if you want to have them rotate up with high beam you must install the control box.

Garth

I'm a little confused -- so If I just plug in the lights as they are -- they will work just fine -- just no auto adjust?

If that is the case it is literally a one for one swap with no rewiring?

thanks,

Mike

I'm a little confused -- so If I just plug in the lights as they are -- they will work just fine -- just no auto adjust?

If you just plug in the lights without the control unit, the low beams will be HID and the high beams will be the halogens. Just like the basic stock headlights, but brighter low beams. If you add the control unit with the associated wiring harness, the low beams will tilt up when you flip to the high beams and fill in the high beams better. The HID lights actually tilt up to fill in light below the high beam.

The control unit is made by Bosch. I thought there was a post here way back when with the Bosch part number, but couldn't find it tonight when searching. I did find a picture by ToolPants - see this post There's a TSB that describes the whole installation process and includes Porsche part numbers for the control unit and wiring harness

The factory Litronics install has some sensors on the suspension that is supposed to dynamically level out the lights based on vehicle loading, but the retrofit doesn't have the capability. I think the factory install lets you do things with the PST2 for diagnostics that the retrofit won't - probably a Loren question

Edited by geoff

• Admin

Garth

thanks,

Mike

Yes, if you just plug the Litronics in they will work as geoff said. That is, you will not get the low beam Xenon to rotate up with the Halogen high beams for a combined high beam without adding the control module for each headlight. This is fairly simple wiring and covered completely in the Retrofit TSB.

What you can not get with non-factory Litronics is the automatic beam adjustment for hills. This is a factory only option that requires sensors at the front and rear of the car and the wiring between them (which you won't hav without the factory option).

Thanks for the clarification -- I may just plug and play for a while until I find the control box and time for the real install.

Will still be better than the regular lamps in there now (and look better too!)

mike

Edited by txhokie4life