Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

needs new convertible top

hi all,

i took my boxster to a car wash and came home with a 2 inch tear on my convertible top plastic window. contacted the manager on the phone and he said that his workers wash cars but don't break windows ( smart ***), and also he had signs posted that due to temperature variations they are not responsible if windows crack. i told him that it doesn't apply to plastic window that it was done by the negligence of his workers but he didn't even want me to see the car and advised for me to seek "alternatives". he was a total a-hole.

bottomline is, i contacted my insurance, at first they offered to replace the whole top due to porsche standard on not replacing the top. they set up the inspection and insisted that i go with after market parts that comparable to porsche instead of OEM top done at the dealership, fine so i agreeed just to get this fixed first. then came the inspector who saw the car and told insurance that the top is in good shape ( replaced by porsche little over 3 yrs ago), and only needs a new window. so insurance called upholstery shop and found someone in LA that will replace only the plastic window for 400 dollars and since the top is 3-4 years old they minus 20% betterment which leaves me with around 300 dollars to replace the window. wow i was shocked to hear this because i have seem some badly replaced plastic windows and they are ugly. the stitching are all over the place and window material looks crappy.

i refuse to make over my porsche to a miata standard. ( no offense to miata fans)

i am gonna call the insurance and request that they replace my top instead of the plastic window. i thought that under CA law you are allowed to bring your car to any shop for repair? also if the policy calls for "comparable parts" instead of OEM shouldn't the insurance co authorize a new top instead of a replaced plastic window since to porsche's standrad and guideline the plasctic window cannot be replaced????

thanks all for your help to fight the evil ins co!

Paul

Nothing really wrong with a window replacement if you find the right place. Have a friend who is excruciatingly anal with and has done lots of these many times. shop in Torrance (pm me if you want). According to him, the rull of thumb it your top will last about twice as long as the window in so cal. The window last about 3-4 years. Chances are really good that your window was ready , set and primed to let go anyway.

Personalty, I hit that half way mark last year (window went, top fine). I'd have given my eye teeth to get a new one for $80. All I'm saying is that the fact it was an "accident" is dumb luck. Within the next 6 month it would have gone just puting it up or down or some other s___ luck. You would be stuck with the whole bill.

Regards, PK

I would forget about the plastic window and see if you can change the whole top w/ the glass window, I believe 2002 or 2003 model.

I'm surprised that insurance covers that because most car wash places have a sign not to use the car wash if it's convertible but if its hand washed then it's the workers. Hatin'!

I've seen top w/glass going for around 500 to 600 and the plastic ones for around 400.

Well, good luck!

I would forget about the plastic window and see if you can change the whole top w/ the glass window, I believe 2002 or 2003 model.

I'm surprised that insurance covers that because most car wash places have a sign not to use the car wash if it's convertible but if its hand washed then it's the workers. Hatin'!

I've seen top w/glass going for around 500 to 600 and the plastic ones for around 400.

Well, good luck!

Last year My vandalized 2002 needed a new top. I chose to go glass. The Robbins top made to fit my 2002 frame with re-used headliner, worked great. I paid the $60 (really...only $60) difference between a plastic window top and the glass top. I am very happy I did the upgrade. My insurance company cut me and the shop a joint check and I paid the difference. Robbins maks high quality tops. Here in the Northwest, we see tons of rain. No leaks, no issues and I would do it again in a heartbeat. Good luck.

Well, good luck!

Last year My vandalized 2002 needed a new top. I chose to go glass. The Robbins top made to fit my 2002 frame with re-used headliner, worked great. I paid the $60 (really...only $60) difference between a plastic window top and the glass top. I am very happy I did the upgrade. My insurance company cut me and the shop a joint check and I paid the difference. Robbins maks high quality tops. Here in the Northwest, we see tons of rain. No leaks, no issues and I would do it again in a heartbeat. Good luck.

Biker,

i am assuming you changed the entire top instead of just the window right? because i have asked to see if there's any option to replace the plastic to glass window and was told that only way to do is to replaced the top with after market. it would be great if i can recycle the old top and convert to glass window.

updates on my insurance claim, i talked to the material damage supervisor from my insurance co today and was able to persuade him to authorize me a new top instead of the window only. basically i told him that i could have taken the car to porsche dealership and have them pay for the tab for an OEM top or i can go with a potentially bad plastic window replacement and then have them replace the whole top again. so i think he realizes that its the best solution just to give me a new top, ohh and of course being an insurance co they are charging me -35% betterment for the age of the top ( 3 yr old OEM top replaced by porsche under warranty).

i think i will go with what everyone suggest here a glass window top. small window means more time to enjoy with the top down =)

i have seen some for sale on ebay for around 5-600, anyone with suggestions??

updates on my insurance claim, i talked to the material damage supervisor from my insurance co today and was able to persuade him to authorize me a new top instead of the window only. basically i told him that i could have taken the car to porsche dealership and have them pay for the tab for an OEM top or i can go with a potentially bad plastic window replacement and then have them replace the whole top again. so i think he realizes that its the best solution just to give me a new top, ohh and of course being an insurance co they are charging me -35% betterment for the age of the top ( 3 yr old OEM top replaced by porsche under warranty).

i think i will go with what everyone suggest here a glass window top. small window means more time to enjoy with the top down =)

I only use GAHH. I have changed many plastic windows in N.J. Only 1 has cracked,he put top down in too cold weather. He then upgraded to a glass GAHH top :)

Edited by Peter Serbanica

I say work on the insurance co and try for a new top with glass. I just had it done and it's great. If that doens't work out, I think a replacement plastic window will be just as good as the original as long as the shop does good work. It's true that you can take the car wherever you want to get the work done. Good luck.

• 3 months later...

I only use GAHH. I have changed many plastic windows in N.J. Only 1 has cracked,he put top down in too cold weather. He then upgraded to a glass GAHH top :)

Hello,

I need a new plastic window and noticed you have replaced many of them. Did you do it yourself or did someone else do it for you? I am also in NJ and willing to hire you or someone you recommened. Thank you in advance for your time and consideration.

Hello,

I need a new plastic window and noticed you have replaced many of them. Did you do it yourself or did someone else do it for you? I am also in NJ and willing to hire you or someone you recommened. Thank you in advance for your time and consideration.

Send Peter a PM by clicking on his name. He has a shop and has lots of experience in replacing Boxster tops.

Regards, Maurice.

Hello,

Send Peter a PM by clicking on his name. He has a shop and has lots of experience in replacing Boxster tops.

Regards, Maurice.

I spoke with Peter. He is very knowledgable and willing to do the repair. I have to go over my finances before I can do it though. When I get it done I will post some pics. Thank you for your advice! This forum is great!

I spoke with Peter. He is very knowledgable and willing to do the repair. I have to go over my finances before I can do it though. When I get it done I will post some pics. Thank you for your advice! This forum is great!

Some before and after photos are always welcome! :jump:

Regards, Maurice.

Some before and after photos are always welcome! :jump:

Regards, Maurice.

Good point! I will get some "before" pictures asap and post them!