Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Poly Rib belt 90k service question

90k service interval coming up and I will be doing the spark plugs and have the poly rib belt in my garage ready for install. 2 questions.

1. Must I crack open the top engine cover or can I just remove the belt cover to swap out the poly belt?

2. In checking the service records it appears that the original water pump is still in the car would it make sense to also replace this when the belt is being changed. To date no sign of any issues with the cooling system.

Please advise pro or con as to what would be the best course of action.

Thank you all in advance.

m2

• Moderators

1) The belt cover is sufficient.

2) Check for excessive play and water leak traces, if OK the pump can, theoretical, remain. On the other hand, i have seen a lot of pumps destroyed after a 90 K service with belt change, cause the better grip and higher tension of the new belt. It's your choice.

• Moderators

Once you get the belt off check anyting that spins. Pay attention to the pulleys and water pump. There should be no play in the water pump pulley. The bearings in these pumps don't seem to last. Bunch of waterpumps replaced in my area. Seem to go out around 70K miles. Independent mechanic I know is now using a different brand than the one Porsche sells.

post-4-1253719885_thumb.jpg

post-4-1253719900_thumb.jpg

Just did this today, you need a 24mm or a 15/16 wrench to hold the tensioner. I used a 15/16 socket and a 24 inch breaker bar to do it so there wasn't a lot of straining. As above, check all of the pulleys and idlers for movement or play, There was a tip on petes board to install the belt on all pulleys except the idler just to the right of the alternator, then move the tensioner and slip it on, worked like a charm for me.

• 3 weeks later...

Coincidence...maybe not.

I changed the s-belt at 90K. Everthing looked and sounded fine for driving around town.

(Even left the engine bay open for 10 miles or so I could check it.)

First time on the highway, the waterpump blew within 75 miles.

Just shreaded it. Shaft broke free and plastic was destroyed.

Belt was fine though ;)

Coincidence...maybe not.

I changed the s-belt at 90K. Everthing looked and sounded fine for driving around town.

(Even left the engine bay open for 10 miles or so I could check it.)

First time on the highway, the waterpump blew within 75 miles.

Just shreaded it. Shaft broke free and plastic was destroyed.

Belt was fine though ;)

That's a bummer...first belt change or did you change your belt at 60K? I follow the maintenance schedule and I guess I've been fortunate...no waterpump failures after the belt changes. I've change belts at 60K, 120K, and I'll be do early next year at 180K. Still have the original coolant from the factory with very little coolant/distilled water added since '03.

All the best,

Bill :beer:

• 2 years later...
  • Admin

Water pump pulley has some play and getting a sound from it, mechanic told me is the bearing on the water pump and I will need to replace it. Do I also need to replace the pulley or would it be fine with the new water pump?

The bearing is likely gone - so replace the pump before more damage is done.

Water pump pulley has some play and getting a sound from it, mechanic told me is the bearing on the water pump and I will need to replace it. Do I also need to replace the pulley or would it be fine with the new water pump?

While "you are in there" replace the thermostat and gasket too. Figure about $43.00 total in parts.

• 3 weeks later...