Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Caliper Paint

So I have been making a few cosmetic upgrades to my 00 Boxster. I just dropped the “lobster claws” off at a local shop to have them stripped and powder coated (a shop here in Scottsdale, AZ is chemically stripping then sandblasting and powder coating all four 19” rims for $325!) and thought that while I had the car on stands I would go ahead and paint the calipers. I just like the look of the red through the wheels.

I did as much research as I could (even searching around renntech) and decided on G2 Caliper paint as it seemed like this was the best product on the market… Wrong.

Everyone says preparation is key. I spent an entire day prepping! I first washed the calipers with soap and water using first a soft sponge, then a rough sponge and finally a brillo pad. I then sprayed and washed them with the caliper cleaner scrubbing them again with a new brillo pad as I went. Then I grabbed my handy dremel tool and threw a wire brush on the end and went over each caliper with the wire brush scuffing the surface of each caliper trying to get in every nook and cranny. I then rinsed the calipers with warm water and a wet towel and sprayed them one last time with caliper cleaner to ensure there was no residue.

I then mixed the G2 caliper paint according to the directions and applied it with the supplied brush.

Initially some of the paint didn’t stick and I thought I had failed to prep the calipers… How could I have failed when I went to such great lengths to ensure they were prepped perfectly?! Then it began to work… kind of. The paint was extremely thin and dripped everywhere, pooling in the gaps and crevices. Not to mention all the time spent picking bristles out of the drying paint left behind from the extremely poor quality brush. The “self leveling paint did not self level, it continued to look bumpy and wavy. Panicky I grabbed one of my art quality brushes and attempted to use that. While the paint applied with the $30 brush applied much more nicely the self leveling quality never took shape. Still panicky I called my girlfriend and begged her to run to AutoZone and grab me the best quality caliper paint they had in stock. Knowing I would pissy and crabby all day if this didn’t turn in my favor quickly she hurried to AutoZone. The G2 Caliper paint cures and hardens restricting it from future use. I needed to know if the problem in the paint was my mistake or the G2 paints mistake. Within 15 minutes she had VHT caliper paint in my hands. I quickly masked off the driver’s side rear well and applied the now VHT spray paint to the caliper. It applied perfectly! No bumps, no runs, no waves, no adhesion problems. I then did the other two calipers with the same effect.

I suppose it’s possible that the passenger side rear caliper that I applied the G2 paint to may have experienced some anomaly… but I doubt it. All the calipers where prepared identically. Im unsure what the longevity of the VHT paint will be but it certainly looks muuuuch better than the much more expensive G2.

I will now have to wait for the G2 paint to cure so that I can sand it down and re-paint it with the VHT, anothers day worth of work.

If you still want to use the G2 paint the only suggestion that I can offer is that you invest in a new high quality brush, pray a little and have a back-up plan ready!

Attached below are some pictures of the experience….

Ill update this in the next few months and let everyone know how the paint is holding up...

Respectfully,

-Ben C.

post-49300-1255826762_thumb.jpg

post-49300-1255826774_thumb.jpg

post-49300-1255826785_thumb.jpg

So I have been making a few cosmetic upgrades to my 00 Boxster. I just dropped the “lobster claws” off at a local shop to have them stripped and powder coated (a shop here in Scottsdale, AZ is chemically stripping then sandblasting and powder coating all four 19” rims for $325!) and thought that while I had the car on stands I would go ahead and paint the calipers. I just like the look of the red through the wheels.

I did as much research as I could (even searching around renntech) and decided on G2 Caliper paint as it seemed like this was the best product on the market… Wrong.

Everyone says preparation is key. I spent an entire day prepping! I first washed the calipers with soap and water using first a soft sponge, then a rough sponge and finally a brillo pad. I then sprayed and washed them with the caliper cleaner scrubbing them again with a new brillo pad as I went. Then I grabbed my handy dremel tool and threw a wire brush on the end and went over each caliper with the wire brush scuffing the surface of each caliper trying to get in every nook and cranny. I then rinsed the calipers with warm water and a wet towel and sprayed them one last time with caliper cleaner to ensure there was no residue.

I then mixed the G2 caliper paint according to the directions and applied it with the supplied brush.

Initially some of the paint didn’t stick and I thought I had failed to prep the calipers… How could I have failed when I went to such great lengths to ensure they were prepped perfectly?! Then it began to work… kind of. The paint was extremely thin and dripped everywhere, pooling in the gaps and crevices. Not to mention all the time spent picking bristles out of the drying paint left behind from the extremely poor quality brush. The “self leveling paint did not self level, it continued to look bumpy and wavy. Panicky I grabbed one of my art quality brushes and attempted to use that. While the paint applied with the $30 brush applied much more nicely the self leveling quality never took shape. Still panicky I called my girlfriend and begged her to run to AutoZone and grab me the best quality caliper paint they had in stock. Knowing I would pissy and crabby all day if this didn’t turn in my favor quickly she hurried to AutoZone. The G2 Caliper paint cures and hardens restricting it from future use. I needed to know if the problem in the paint was my mistake or the G2 paints mistake. Within 15 minutes she had VHT caliper paint in my hands. I quickly masked off the driver’s side rear well and applied the now VHT spray paint to the caliper. It applied perfectly! No bumps, no runs, no waves, no adhesion problems. I then did the other two calipers with the same effect.

I suppose it’s possible that the passenger side rear caliper that I applied the G2 paint to may have experienced some anomaly… but I doubt it. All the calipers where prepared identically. Im unsure what the longevity of the VHT paint will be but it certainly looks muuuuch better than the much more expensive G2.

I will now have to wait for the G2 paint to cure so that I can sand it down and re-paint it with the VHT, anothers day worth of work.

If you still want to use the G2 paint the only suggestion that I can offer is that you invest in a new high quality brush, pray a little and have a back-up plan ready!

Attached below are some pictures of the experience….

Ill update this in the next few months and let everyone know how the paint is holding up...

Respectfully,

-Ben C.

Oh, be sure to click the pictures to get a good look...

Thanks for sharimg. Planing to paunt them soon. Do you have pic of the wheels in the car? Did you need spacer. Are those the cayman ones?

Tx

sergiu

I don't have a picture with the wheels on the car yet because I haven't gotten the wheels back from the powder coating shop. As soon as I get them ill post some pics. I also just ordered some decals so ill be adding those along with a clear coat before I put the wheels back on.

I had some really bad/weird tire wear so ill be getting new tires and I might throw some wheel spacers on when I do that.

Respectfully,

-Ben

From your post it sounds like there was some moisture left on the calipers. The brake cleaner will not get rid of all the moisture as water and hydrocarbons will not usually mix and the results will be as you described, lumpy and not flowing. It might have worked with the spray that your GF brought to you because the water evaporated by the time she got there. Even a very little moisture will mess up an oil based paint. Ed

From your post it sounds like there was some moisture left on the calipers. The brake cleaner will not get rid of all the moisture as water and hydrocarbons will not usually mix and the results will be as you described, lumpy and not flowing. It might have worked with the spray that your GF brought to you because the water evaporated by the time she got there. Even a very little moisture will mess up an oil based paint. Ed

I didn't specify it my post, but I actually did all the prep work one day, let the car sit overnight to dry then applied the paint the following day. I live in Arizona so I cant imagine the brakes didn't completely dry in a 100 degree garage in 12 hours time...

To be honest was really surprised and very disappointed I was really looking forward to using the G2 system. On another note I was a little worried that the VHT was going to chip or fade in the long run so I did some searching and found that most people had pretty good results with it. Time will tell I suppose.

I will say this though... I ran a practice run on the G2 caliper paint this morning with some sandpaper... wow, that stuff is tough! it gonna take some work sanding that sucker smooth...

So while the G2 Caliper paint didnt work for me as far as appearance it sure cured on strong!

I will say this though... I ran a practice run on the G2 caliper paint this morning with some sandpaper... wow, that stuff is tough! it gonna take some work sanding that sucker smooth...

So while the G2 Caliper paint didnt work for me as far as appearance it sure cured on strong!

OK, so I take back my last post... I sat down determined to get the misshaped caliper painted with the G2 caliper paint looking as good as the others with the VHT paint.

I started sanding with a medium grit sandpaper and instead of shavings and dust I got clumps (see attached pictures). I figured at this point it would be cured enough to sand...? Then much to my amazement it began to peel off (see pictures)!! It peeled off easily in places where it was thick but was to thin to peel off in places where I had sanded already. Getting frustrated I pulled out the handy dremel and wire brush attachment and sanded/peeled the whole thing back down to bare metal.

I then re-cleaned with soap and water and brake cleaner, let dry for a few hours re-taped and painted with the VHT. Viola, perfection. I wonder if i just got a bad can of G2? I cant believe it would just peel off like that.

Argggghhhhh, my recommendation... go with the spray on!!

post-49300-1255933914_thumb.jpg

I used the G2 and it worked well for me but you definitely need to heed their warnings/directions.

Some of the warnings when using it include:

- allow it to set up 5 min after mixing and before using, stir again

- don't use degreasers when prepping - just brake cleaner (maybe some residue from your soap or dremel brush?)

- G2 product has a shelf life of 18 months (did you check the 'born on date' on the box? - could have been very old)

- temp range - use b/w 56-70°F (13-21°C). Higher temperatures will cause paint to harden faster than normal (thus nullifying the self-leveling feature. You mention AZ and 100°F garage temps overnight...)

More details here

That being said, I agree w/ you, the G2 included brush is crap. I was forewarned of this by 1schoir and boxstaboy and purchased some better quality and smaller (for the nooks and crannies) brushes from a craft (Michael's / JoAnn's) store before embarking. Two or more thin coats are needed to get the achieved results - not one thick one. It is tough to keep the paint from running on the very first caliper.

Anyhow, your results from the VHT look very good and that's all that really matters. Congrats! :cheers:

I used the G2 and it worked well for me but you definitely need to heed their warnings/directions.

- don't use degreasers when prepping - just brake cleaner (maybe some residue from your soap or dremel brush?)

- G2 product has a shelf life of 18 months (did you check the 'born on date' on the box? - could have been very old)

- temp range - use b/w 56-70°F (13-21°C). Higher temperatures will cause paint to harden faster than normal (thus nullifying the self-leveling feature. You mention AZ and 100°F garage temps overnight...)

More details here

That being said, I agree w/ you, the G2 included brush is crap. I was forewarned of this by 1schoir and boxstaboy and purchased some better quality and smaller (for the nooks and crannies) brushes from a craft (Michael's / JoAnn's) store before embarking. Two or more thin coats are needed to get the achieved results - not one thick one. It is tough to keep the paint from running on the very first caliper.

Anyhow, your results from the VHT look very good and that's all that really matters. Congrats! :cheers:

Truth be told it could have been a number of things I suppose...

I did allow the mix to set for 5 minutes.

I originally only used the caliper cleaner provided with the kit and then re-sprayed after using the dremel.

I didn't check the born on date.... I threw the box and paint away last night and i believe the garbage went out today so I may not get a chance to check that.

I did attempt thin coats.

You make a good point about the temperature, that may have been what kept the paint from self-leveling.

I also think that using a better brush from the start would have made a positive difference.

I did like the appearance of the G2 paint minus the wavy/poor adhesion it has a very rich, thick look to it. If you do use the G2 I think it would behoove you to remove the caliper.

More details here

Truth be told it could have been a number of things I suppose...

I did allow the mix to set for 5 minutes.

I originally only used the caliper cleaner provided with the kit and then re-sprayed after using the dremel.

I didn't check the born on date.... I threw the box and paint away last night and i believe the garbage went out today so I may not get a chance to check that.

I did attempt thin coats.

You make a good point about the temperature, that may have been what kept the paint from self-leveling.

I also think that using a better brush from the start would have made a positive difference.

I did like the appearance of the G2 paint minus the wavy/poor adhesion it has a very rich, thick look to it. If you do use the G2 I think it would behoove you to remove the caliper.

Ben:

Sorry you had such horrible results with the G2 paint! :eek:

As you know, Boxtaboy and I had great results. I must say we did not prep the calipers to the extent that you did. Your prep work was outstanding.

I agree with CassieBox' comments as to the possible cause. I would add that maybe the lack of "old paint" on the calipers, which perhaps served as a basecoat on our jobs may have also had an effect. The high temp in Arizona would definitely affect the ability of the paint to flow and self level. That is the case with all two part paints.

I would contact G2 directly and relate your experience (and the photos) to them, as they are very much interested in customer service and in rectifying any problems caused by their products.

Thanks for taking the time to share all of the details of your experience.

Regards, Maurice.

I think I will contact G2 and give them a heads up, im curious as to what their response might be.

So, I've used two complete bottles of of the VHT paint, I think ive lost count of how many coats buts its probably over 10.

Also, I ordered some clear caliper paint and Porsche decals, I hope they will be here by the end of week. Once its complete ill post a few final pictures.

-Ben

I think I will contact G2 and give them a heads up, im curious as to what their response might be.

So, I've used two complete bottles of of the VHT paint, I think ive lost count of how many coats buts its probably over 10.

Also, I ordered some clear caliper paint and Porsche decals, I hope they will be here by the end of week. Once its complete ill post a few final pictures.

-Ben

Ben:

:clapping:

Regards, Maurice.

So here it is, completed.

I think it turned out pretty well. I ordered the decals then covered them in a can of VHT clear caliper paint.

Now we'll see how long these suckers hold up!?

-Ben

Ben:

Nice job! :cheers:

Considering how thoroughly you prepped them before painting, they should last a long, long time.

Regards, Maurice.

I think it turned out pretty well. I ordered the decals then covered them in a can of VHT clear caliper paint.

-Ben

Ben:

Nice job! :cheers:

Considering how thoroughly you prepped them before painting, they should last a long, long time.

Regards, Maurice.

Thanks Maurice,

I hope you're right!!

Respectfully,

Ben

What shop did you use for the powder coat on your wheels and do you have pictures of them yet? I'm in the PHX area too and would like to see the results.

Lyn

Lyn,

I got them back yesterday. The shop did a fantastic job. I attached a picture that I took with my phone, I can post some better ones tonight.

The shop quoted me $325 but because they weren't able to sand blast them (because of all the nooks and crannies) they had to do a chemical dip which ended up being an extra $25 per wheel. The shop was willing to split this cost with me so they ate $50 and I ate $50 costing me $375 total.

They also just donated a free car detailing to the Arizona chapter of the PCA.

This is the first time I've had anything done through these guys and after my experience I would recommend them. I plan on bringing a few things back to them for paint work in the near future.

The shop is http://firstclassautoaz.com/

-Ben

post-49300-1256672059_thumb.jpg

-Ben

Congrats! Looks great! This is high on my list of things I would love to do but keep putting off because it looks very involving. Success (in the end) stories like this is giving me some more confidence though. B)

Atle

-Ben

Congrats! Looks great! This is high on my list of things I would love to do but keep putting off because it looks very involving. Success (in the end) stories like this is giving me some more confidence though. B)

Atle

Atle,

Its worth trying if you enjoy the look. There wasn't a whole lot of skill involved just careful patience! All in all it probably took about 4 days to complete because I tried to let the paint get pretty dry between coats.

-Ben

Is the VHT red a close match to the red that Porsche uses?

Phillipj,

It looks very close from I can tell. I haven't had the car next to an original yet but if I can ill get some pictures of it next to a Porsche with the OEM red calipers.

-Ben

Sad to say it, but I think the G2's failure to adhere was due to overprepping. I think the dremel brush, which was meant to rough-up the surface for adhesion put too fine of a sanding on it. I've seen cars that were sanded with too fine a grit before being sprayed, and they have terrible adhesion. Then after a few years the paint will just start coming off in large flakes. A very light spray of a good base coat would have probably done the trick with the G2, but I'm glad you found a solution, and it looks like it does a better job anyway.

Is the VHT red a close match to the red that Porsche uses?

Phillipj,

It looks very close from I can tell. I haven't had the car next to an original yet but if I can ill get some pictures of it next to a Porsche with the OEM red calipers.

-Ben

Thanks Ben :D

Sad to say it, but I think the G2's failure to adhere was due to overprepping. I think the dremel brush, which was meant to rough-up the surface for adhesion put too fine of a sanding on it. I've seen cars that were sanded with too fine a grit before being sprayed, and they have terrible adhesion. Then after a few years the paint will just start coming off in large flakes. A very light spray of a good base coat would have probably done the trick with the G2, but I'm glad you found a solution, and it looks like it does a better job anyway.

I suppose thats a possibility as well... haha, too much prep work, I never thought that would be the case, kind of ironic!

I really was looking forward to the G2 working but it seems like there are so many variables that can affect the way it adheres/cures to the caliper that its just not worth the gamble. Too hot, to cold, not enough prep, too much prep, water on the caliper, residue on the caliper... I did everything I could thin of to ensure the calipers were as ready as possible and I still failed.

I still like the idea of the G2 being an epoxy more than a paint.

Oh well, hopefully this will help someone whether the try a spray on product or a paint on like G2!

-Ben