Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

another white smoker

i have a 2005 carrera 997S (3.8L)launch car 6 speed cpo'ed with lots of white smoke on startup only after atrack session...i also burn 1.5 - 2 qts of oil per day (125-150 track miles) more than i have seen with any other 997 at the track.....much more....car recently was tested..i had to request leak down compression (normal) , scoped sylinders (ok) oil separator changed, no oil leakage , rms ok, and they drove the car 400 miles on the street for me and no oil usage. any ideas..i heard changing to motorsport AOS will helpcure the problem...is there anything else that could be checked.....no smoking on the street at home..about 1 qt/1000 miles on street. my car has a few dealer installed mods including fabspeed headers, exhaust (stock cats) GIAC flash, evo intake, running r comps at track with ceramic brakes, gt3 control arms and i run with the instructor groups......i am concerned whether i should keep the car or get rid of it before cpo is over risking engine failure later....thanks... MK USA

any helpers out there...

I did read similar posts from other folks and no one seemed to find actual reason of that behavior. To me excessive smoke on overheated cylinder means most likely it is you get oil in there while some gap between some parts in engine assembly somewhere increases just enough to allow oil to penetrate inside. May be it`s rings, may be something else. Who knows. Common sense here dictates that with all other things being equal heavily tracked car has its limits of durability and if you can change it for newer vehicle - it is most likely the best solution here. Otherwise best thing to do would be just ignore this and keep adding oil.

Well since you are running Rcomp tires your hitting way higher G-s than the factory Oil Sep. can handle, On 997's i believe its on the drivers side of the engine and when you make hard rights, All the oil in the crankcase is moved to the left and im positive that causes an updraft of oil to shoot back up the bellows tube and saturate the oil sep and some oil makes it to the intake manifold via the upper oil sep tube. If only there was a breathible foam insert that can go into the upper tube to stop the flow of oil but not the air.

Well since you are running Rcomp tires your hitting way higher G-s than the factory Oil Sep. can handle, On 997's i believe its on the drivers side of the engine and when you make hard rights, All the oil in the crankcase is moved to the left and im positive that causes an updraft of oil to shoot back up the bellows tube and saturate the oil sep and some oil makes it to the intake manifold via the upper oil sep tube. If only there was a breathible foam insert that can go into the upper tube to stop the flow of oil but not the air.

I topped up the oil (about 8 oz) in mine before I took it over Southern California's somewhat notorious Latigo Cyn just the other day. It's a steep climb up from the coast with very tight turns, and I noticed that it needed ANOTHER 8 oz top-up this morning. Could be that I threw some 0W-40 into the heads myself. Didn't see any smoke out thru the rear window though, but I was a bit busy hanging on for dear life (with a big grin) at the moment to notice! My car's got 42K miles on the odo.

Carlos thanks i think i may invest in the motorsport oil separator however quited about 10-12 hrs labor at suncoast porsche and they have never put one on the 997! anyone out there with a motorsport oil separator thanks

mk

Edited by mkk62

The 997 already has an oil seperator. It

is buried in the back (hard to get to) of the engine.

If you get an additional one, you may need to empty

it. Better find out where they plan to put it so your

not crawing underneath the car every month.

Paul