Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

To Chip or Not To Chip My 997-1 S

Thinking about chipping my 997-1 S not sure where to post but have a few questions:

2006 997-1 S Coupe Manual US

Has anyone had a bad experience with this or actually didn't feel any BIG difference?

Can I do it myself?

What is a good price Installed and also if I install it myself?

Can someone direct me to a thread that discusses this?

:thankyou:

Edited by slahti

Thinking about chipping my 997-1 S not sure where to post but have a few questions:

Has anyone had a bad experience with this and fells a BIG difference?

Can I do it myself?

Check out vividracing.com offering softronic flash product. very nice mod, you`ll get 93 octane adjusted maps and can have permanent sport throttle mode activated.

you will get a cable and will be able to flash it back and forth from modded to original file.

• Admin

Can I do it myself?

Check out my blog on this Product claims and dynos -- and reality

Can I do it myself?

Great Blog post. That seems to be my feelings, 40 years of German engineering and a $500 chip is gonna give me +20HP .. right :-|.

That was my first thought. Have you ever heard of a Veteran 911 driver who has had success in ECU land.

A 997 Turbo is way out of my bracket BTW. Perhaps I am trying to squeeze blood from my new toy.

Edited by slahti

Can I do it myself?

And the point is? Tuning is possible and power gains are real. Faking dyno results is also possible as well as making dyno runs on same car showing completely different 'gains' on a same car. It is responsibility of a person who works on car to ensure to the best of his abilities if any measurements were performed correctly.

Can I do it myself?

Great Blog post. That seems to be my feelings, 40 years of German engineering and a $500 chip is gonna give me +20HP .. right :-|.

That was my first thought. Have you ever heard of a Veteran 911 driver who has had success in ECU land.

A 997 Turbo is way out of my bracket BTW. Perhaps I am trying to squeeze blood from my new toy.

So look at this graph and make your own decisions on what possible and what is not. Look at 5500-5600 rpm area.

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/album.p...;pictureid=8782

Can I do it myself?

So look at this graph and make your own decisions on what possible and what is not. Look at 5500-5600 rpm area.

Cool thanks for the info, which brings me to the $$Million question. Are you running a tuned ECU chip on your 06? if so where did you get it?

Don't get me wrong all the DYNO info out there is nice, but due to the world of Photoshop it simply doesn't mean much.

I would like to keep this thread open, what I would much rather hear is from someone with a few hundred post tell me "Hey I got a tuned ECU chip and IT ROCKS or IT SUCKS".

Thanks again for the info BTW.

Edited by slahti

Can I do it myself?

Cool thanks for the info, which brings me to the $$Million question. Are you running a tuned ECU chip on your 06? if so where did you get it?

Don't get me wrong all the DYNO info out there is nice, but due to the world of Photoshop it simply doesn't mean much.

I would like to keep this thread open, what I would much rather hear is from someone with a few hundred post tell me "Hey I got a tuned ECU chip and IT ROCKS or IT SUCKS".

Thanks again for the info BTW.

Between first and last runs: New spark plugs, new oil, K&N oiled air filter, IPD Plenum, Fabspeed X-Pipe 200 cell cats, Fabspeed Maxflo sport mufflers, Softronic ECU flash.

I already explained about Softronic - look it up.

I did a lot of mods to my first 996. Headers, mufflers, flash, Plenum and it definetly made the car more fun to drive.

Now that I have a 997 I swore I would not mod it... B) I've already replaced the headers with he X-51's. Now because I can't leave well enough alone I'm thinking about ECU flash and cats. WTF? Why? Is it really going to make that big of a difference? And then I also void my warranty???

The issue I have with the flash of the software is that the rev limit is changed from 7k to 7500. That engine was never supposed to run at 7500 rpm and that's why Porsche made it 7000 (at least so it would be dependable.)

I guess if you don''t care about the longevity of your engine it's a good mod. But if you have that much money to burn why not just get a Turbo and have endless hp possibilities? Used 01 Turbos can be had in the high $30's now....

I've had a NA engine let go and it's a major PIA and in the wallet.

I plan to keep my car for two years and then get a GT3 or a Turbo. Will I have enough power then.?? I freakin hope so.....

Just my rant for the day...

:renntech:

I did a lot of mods to my first 996. Headers, mufflers, flash, Plenum and it definetly made the car more fun to drive.

Now that I have a 997 I swore I would not mod it... B) I've already replaced the headers with he X-51's. Now because I can't leave well enough alone I'm thinking about ECU flash and cats. WTF? Why? Is it really going to make that big of a difference? And then I also void my warranty???

The issue I have with the flash of the software is that the rev limit is changed from 7k to 7500. That engine was never supposed to run at 7500 rpm and that's why Porsche made it 7000 (at least so it would be dependable.)

I guess if you don''t care about the longevity of your engine it's a good mod. But if you have that much money to burn why not just get a Turbo and have endless hp possibilities? Used 01 Turbos can be had in the high $30's now....

I plan to keep my car for two years and then get a GT3 or a Turbo. Will I have enough power then.?? I freakin hope so.....

LMFAO!!

The fella who works on my car also works on lots of HIGH END stuff. One day while dropping my 997S off for an oil change, he drove me to work in a GT2 WOW!! I will never be the same again. I wonder if folks who own GT2s say "If it were a just little faster" like us 997 S guys.

Anyway thanks for all the feedback. I think I am going to leave well enough alone, stop tweaking and start my Turbo or GT2 savings account.

GREAT FORUM BTW!!

Edited by slahti

You do know that you can call softronic guys and ask them to mod your file any way you want? Like to keep rev limit as stock (which is 7300 BTW, not a 7000)? Put on and off sport mode?

Most gains from flash you get from pushing engine out of smog compliance limits enforced by legislature. That is what those 93 octane tuned maps essentially do. Same about 200cell cats. Properly done flash file just opens up stock engine to what is was supposed to be.

And also are extreme flashes with pushing rev limit to 9K, pushing maps out of temperature guidelines, suppressing generation of any sort of error codes, meth/NO support etc - wild ricer sort of modding. General regular softronic flash should be perfectly safe.

Edited by utkinpol

You do know that you can call softronic guys and ask them to mod your file any way you want? Like to keep rev limit as stock (which is 7300 BTW, not a 7000)? Put on and off sport mode?

Most gains from flash you get from pushing engine out of smog compliance limits enforced by legislature. That is what those 93 octane tuned maps essentially do. Same about 200cell cats. Properly done flash file just opens up stock engine to what is was supposed to be.

And also are extreme flashes with pushing rev limit to 9K, pushing maps out of temperature guidelines, suppressing generation of any sort of error codes, meth/NO support etc - wild ricer sort of modding. General regular softronic flash should be perfectly safe.

Thanks for correcting me on the max RPM... :(

I have no doubt about Softronic making a quality product and that it does make the car run better. I guess my comment is just about our insatiable desire for more power. It's a sickness that unfortunetly I'm afflicted with as well.... :D

:cheers:

Edited by phillipj

997 NA engine can support way more power than it delivers in stock form. Bunch of people run it on forced induction up to 8psi generating about of 450 horses at wheels and still car runs and runs and nothing breaks, well, at least right away. :)

There are always horror stories about this but majority of supercharged cars and turboed NA cars run just fine. So I would not loose my sleep over all this. Starting any extreme modding it is just probably worth gettin mind set of some cash aside for case if you do blow your motor and need new one. It may happen. It is a minor probability, but it is there.

I am for sure doing VF-E supercharger next year or year after next year, as my car will go out from CPO status and honestly cannot wait for that. :) It is fun, after all.

Right now on my '06 C2 I run stock headers, fabspeed x-pipe 200 cell cats, fabspeed maxflo mufflers, ipd plenum, oiled K&N air filter with softronic flash and all that together probably added 20-30 horses, according to dyno charts I got more that that but it is subjective measurement. I would not be concerned about relative measurements - what gets changed after all that is engine overall responsiveness, torque curve gets much more flat and this is what matters most - instead of spotty behavior across RPM range you motor will simply start pulling like crazy in whole 3K-7K rpm area and it changes everything, pretty much. Different dynamics.

• 4 months later...

2006 997-1 Carrera, manual, US

My two cents:

I have X-51 headers, APR(BB) cat back exhaust, Fabspeed CAI w/BMC filter, and APR re-flash.

The car feels and runs great.

With regard to HP gains, APR dynoed my car after all mods were complete, I'm not sure how everyone else is determining HP, but my numbers are RWHP. Can the numbers be translated easily?

Per APR dyno: 301 HP at rear wheels.

Total cost: just under $3000.

2006 997-1 Carrera, manual, US

My two cents:

I have X-51 headers, APR(BB) cat back exhaust, Fabspeed CAI w/BMC filter, and APR re-flash.

The car feels and runs great.

With regard to HP gains, APR dynoed my car after all mods were complete, I'm not sure how everyone else is determining HP, but my numbers are RWHP. Can the numbers be translated easily?

Per APR dyno: 301 HP at rear wheels.

Total cost: just under $3000.

People generally say that driveline loss is somewhere between 5-15% and isn't linear. So, your gain is somewhere between negative 10 and positive 20 horsepower as compared to the 325 hp stock figure.

Let's be optimistic and call it 10 extra ponies. You've now spent $300 per horsepower. And since faster acceleration was probably the intended result, you would have wanted more torque. What figure did their dyno give you for that? For $3k you could've bought three sets of new tires, 3 years' maintenance, two sets of brake pads and rotors installed, or half a dozen days' instructed seat time on a closed track to improve your driving skills (including gas, brake pads, lunch, and a beer at the end of each day).

I understand the car makes a different noise now that you may like better, but neighbors and pedestrians may not. At the end of the day the noise is the only reliably measurable quantity, and its benefit is highly subjective. This is all my two cents, I still understand why people choose to buy these mods, I just don't agree with them.

/end rant. soapbox.gif

Edited by number9ine

Has anyone had a bad experience with this or actually didn't feel any BIG difference?

Can I do it myself?

I know your post is quite old and maybe you've already made your decision on chipping or not chipping however if you haven't chipped yet and its still an option I think I can definitely help you out....

I purchased the ECU tuning package for my C2S from softronic tuning (vivid racing) just two weeks ago... Its very simple to do (no need to remove ecu and send it or anything like that) you just hook up your laptop to ur car thru a cable they provide and run the software which reads your ecu and sends them the info thru the internet.... two days later you receive thru email a tuned file and an original stock file, from then all you do is upload which ever file you want on to your car and voila!!! Unfortunately I had to travel once they sent me my tuned file so in about two weeks I will be back home and will upload my tuned file.... Once I upload my tuned file I will definitely post my impressions and tell you whether I advise on purchasing it or not... the great thing about this way of tuning is that you can at anytime just flip back to stock settings very easily... (warranty purposes)

Though I would advise on getting your self a new exhaust, I personally got the porsche sports exhaust and am very happy with the sound, no performance increase but the sound is great and makes it feel as if your going faster than you really are, plus this is what a Porsche should sound like anyways (sporty).... The exhaust definitely changed the overall experience of the drive...

Anyways will keep you posted...

Can I do it myself?

thankyou.gif

I know your post is quite old and maybe you've already made your decision on chipping or not chipping however if you haven't chipped yet and its still an option I think I can definitely help you out....

I purchased the ECU tuning package for my C2S from softronic tuning (vivid racing) just two weeks ago... Its very simple to do (no need to remove ecu and send it or anything like that) you just hook up your laptop to ur car thru a cable they provide and run the software which reads your ecu and sends them the info thru the internet.... two days later you receive thru email a tuned file and an original stock file, from then all you do is upload which ever file you want on to your car and voila!!! Unfortunately I had to travel once they sent me my tuned file so in about two weeks I will be back home and will upload my tuned file.... Once I upload my tuned file I will definitely post my impressions and tell you whether I advise on purchasing it or not... the great thing about this way of tuning is that you can at anytime just flip back to stock settings very easily... (warranty purposes)

Though I would advise on getting your self a new exhaust, I personally got the porsche sports exhaust and am very happy with the sound, no performance increase but the sound is great and makes it feel as if your going faster than you really are, plus this is what a Porsche should sound like anyways (sporty).... The exhaust definitely changed the overall experience of the drive...

Anyways will keep you posted...

Where softronic flash makes most difference is the full utilization of improved air flow. So essentially modifying exhaust you need to put 200 cell cats on, mufflers may be kept stock and in airbox put in BMC oiled air filter panel. that is all one needs to do for NA car.

Not sure if you are still looking for advice on this or not but I'll give my 2c. I did have my base 997.1 reflashed with GIAC software and together with the EVOMS intake the car is more powerful - no question about it. I never had it dyno'd but I know it's faster than it was before. Subsequently I have since added an entirely new exhaust; Cargraphic headers and Techart mufflers, and I think the chip and intake combo made the most difference. All work was done at Sharkwerks in San Jose, CA.