Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Stereo resets about 1 min after cold start? WTH?

I have a 2003 Boxster S 44,000 mi. I have the CDR23 stereo. On cold starts in the morning, the stereo will "reset" after about 1 minute. The stereo will go off then on to FM and the bass and treble setting will all go back to 0. The radio stations keep their settings. It usually happens after the first time you start it although it has happened at other times just occasionally. I recently changed the ignition switch so it shouldn't be that. Any ideas? I'm at a loss. Ground maybe??

• 2 weeks later...
did it do that before you replaced the ignition switch? is the electrical connection on the switch on good? Have you removed the radio recently?

Well I'm not really sure if it did it before. I replaced the switch just a few days after I bought the car. It wouldn't return to center once the car started, so I knew it was shot before I bought it. I haven't removed the radio. I will try checking the wires and the connection to the switch. Maybe something isn't seated well. I may just buy another switch and see if this was just a bad one. It only took about 30 minutes to replace anyway and you can buy the switch online for about $15.00.

One thing to add, I did notice that I hit a big pothole the other day and it reset then as well. I think its time to do some wire jiggling in there. :)

Thanks for your input.

Troubleshooting intermitant electrical problem is tough, especialy in a moving car in a changing environment.

First I'd pull the radio and make sure the connections are well seated. Check the fuses and such to make sure they are seated well, and check the ignition swith to make sure the electrical connection is good.

Second, pay attention. We refered to this as symptom elaboration. If you atart the car and let it idle in the garage for 5 minutes, did it reset? As you drive take note of when it resets, is it time? temp? that bump in the road? What was the temp outside when it happens? Was the AC on? heat? Didi it happen when the auto temp kicks the heat on?

Third try to recreate it. If it is time, what did batt voltage do during that period. If it goes off on a bump, does it do it at 15mph? At 45? Doe it do it if you bang your fist on the dash? On the radio? on the ignition switch? Slam the door?

Once you firgure out what things makes it happen THEN you can track down the cause.

Let me know what seems to be the issue, I'll see if I can help.

Right now, it really seems to be connected to cold start. It happens the first time I start the car for the day. Today for example, after starting the car this morning, after about 30 seconds, the stereo turns off and back on. The bass and treble reset to 0 and it plays the radio station that is set to the #1 setting. It actually reset twice today, once about 20-30 seconds after starting the car and then again about 20-30 secs after that. The car is just sitting in the garage, not moving. It didn't do it again for the rest of the day. It will do it with or without the AC running. I think the next step is to time it to see if it happens at about the same time frame every day. If it does, I think it will be somewhat safe to assume that the problem is with the stereo. What do you think?

Thanks again for your input.

Remove the unit and check the connections at the rear of the unit. It's simple enough to do and cost nothing. If it was the ignition switch then other accessories should be effected also.

Edited by wvicary

Try just sitting in the car and turn on the radio, see if it resets without starting the car. Other thing I thought of, is there anything in the car that runs for 30 seconds on startup then shuts off? Could be some sort of electrical transient.

Try it by turning off the climate control completely, and see if that does it.

Did you pull the radio and check the plugs on the back?

I haven't pulled the radio, because I don't have one of the Becker tools to pull the unit. I guess I'll have to order one. Does anyone have a photo of one. Maybe I could just make it.

There is nothing that I know of that comes on 30 secs after starting. I also timed it and it is sometimes around 20 secs and sometimes a minute. I have also completely turned off the Climate Control and it still does it. I have also wiggled relays and fuses. Next step I guess is to pull the unit. What a pain.

• Admin
I haven't pulled the radio, because I don't have one of the Becker tools to pull the unit. I guess I'll have to order one. Does anyone have a photo of one. Maybe I could just make it.

There is nothing that I know of that comes on 30 secs after starting. I also timed it and it is sometimes around 20 secs and sometimes a minute. I have also completely turned off the Climate Control and it still does it. I have also wiggled relays and fuses. Next step I guess is to pull the unit. What a pain.

Search is your friend...

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?s...st&p=129937

Search is your friend...

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?s...st&p=129937

Dang Loren you're good. Thanks.

I don't know if this is related, but the other day, I locked the door and the horn beeped when the alarm set. It's never done that before and never since. I know the stereo and alarm are all linked together.

Probably the arm rest lid not seated!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, my first post of any forum (!)

My 03 Boxster does exact the same thing. It also only seems to do it after being sat for a few hours, either over night or after a day at work. Been doing it for months now and I'm no closer to finding a solution.

In addition after running for several minutes, usually at least 7 (yes I have timed it!) the radio tunes out and doesn't tune back in again until the ignition is switched on/off - do you have the same problem ?

Hi all, my first post of any forum (!)

My 03 Boxster does exact the same thing. It also only seems to do it after being sat for a few hours, either over night or after a day at work. Been doing it for months now and I'm no closer to finding a solution.

In addition after running for several minutes, usually at least 7 (yes I have timed it!) the radio tunes out and doesn't tune back in again until the ignition is switched on/off - do you have the same problem ?

I haven't had that particular issue. I still haven't figured it out. I'm am guessing it's just a problem with the head unit at this point.

Could this be battery related? At best there may be a loose connection at the battery. Was it recently disconnected? Also, does the starter sound more sluggish when you start it in the AM (cold start) as compared to later in the day? It is possible that the voltage may drop below a certain threshold for the radio to remain operative.

I'm no expert but this is just a thought.

Could this be battery related? At best there may be a loose connection at the battery. Was it recently disconnected? Also, does the starter sound more sluggish when you start it in the AM (cold start) as compared to later in the day? It is possible that the voltage may drop below a certain threshold for the radio to remain operative.

This would be my thought too. I had a 944 that seemed to be possessed. The radio would turn on and off randomly somedays, the keyless entry was iffy, sometimes the gauges would die while driving, and worst of all sometimes the moonroof would unlatch itself. (That's seriously bad news in a 944) I just got a jeep too that would misfire on 1 cylinder whenever it rained. It was corrosion on the battery terminals both times. Get a wire brush and clean the inside of the terminals and the battery posts till they are shiny silver and then try it. It's good thing to do regardless and is a very cheap fix sometimes.

This would be my thought too. I had a 944 that seemed to be possessed. The radio would turn on and off randomly somedays, the keyless entry was iffy, sometimes the gauges would die while driving, and worst of all sometimes the moonroof would unlatch itself...

Did your radio play only oldies? The movie "Christine" comes to mind... B)

I have a 2003 Boxster S 44,000 mi. I have the CDR23 stereo. On cold starts in the morning, the stereo will "reset" after about 1 minute. The stereo will go off then on to FM and the bass and treble setting will all go back to 0. The radio stations keep their settings. It usually happens after the first time you start it although it has happened at other times just occasionally. I recently changed the ignition switch so it shouldn't be that. Any ideas? I'm at a loss. Ground maybe??

Hi from the UK.

Have the same radio and have exactly the same problem on very cold days. Also about once a month the radio won't work at all. It lights up but no sound.

This solution was posted on another forum and works every time for me.

Switch off engine

Remove key

Lock car with remote button whilst sat in car

unlock after 1 or 2 sec's

Insert key, start and hey presto! it works.

On very cold days I let the car warm up first before trying the above.

Hope this helps

Nigel

This would be my thought too. I had a 944 that seemed to be possessed. The radio would turn on and off randomly somedays, the keyless entry was iffy, sometimes the gauges would die while driving, and worst of all sometimes the moonroof would unlatch itself. (That's seriously bad news in a 944) I just got a jeep too that would misfire on 1 cylinder whenever it rained. It was corrosion on the battery terminals both times. Get a wire brush and clean the inside of the terminals and the battery posts till they are shiny silver and then try it. It's good thing to do regardless and is a very cheap fix sometimes.

I'll give that a try. Funny, I didn't even think about that. kinda reminds me of "ain't got no gas in it".

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I have the exact same issues and then some. If fact sometimes I get no sound at all. Sometimes restarting the car fixes it and sometimes it doesn't. What I have noticed is that it appears to be alarm related. I have found that when restarting doesn't work. Cycling the alarm e.g. turn it on and then turn if off seems to fix everything. huh.gif