Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Break wear sensor needs replacing...

Howdy all,

So, apparently my driver side rear break sensor has been trip/damaged in some way, although the pads have plenty of life left. Is it possible to replace the sensor without replacing the pad? I have a 2002 C2.

My dealer says no - you have to do a rear brake job. I'm dubious...

Thoughts, "oh wise sages of the shield?"

:huh:

DL

-----------------------------------------

2002 C2 Tip

• Admin

Of course you can replace just the sensor - in most cases the pads does not even need to be removed.

The only case where you might need to remove the pad is if the senor is broken off flush with the pad - which makes extraction more difficult.

Also, if you plan to check your pad thickness regularly you can jumper the sensor connectors to keep the light off. Folks that use their cars extensively on the track do this all the time.

Seriously.

So - I just called the parts department and three other porsche services counters in the state, and they all said the same thing - if there's plenty of pad, you should be able to pop out the bad sensor and clip the new one in!

So, what do you think? Do I report this to the BBB? Write a letter to Porsche? Obviously, they're incompetent or even worse (and more likely) swindlers...

I feel like someone should be told about this. Although, I'm not sure what good it will do.

DL

Seriously.

So - I just called the parts department and three other porsche services counters in the state, and they all said the same thing - if there's plenty of pad, you should be able to pop out the bad sensor and clip the new one in!

So, what do you think? Do I report this to the BBB? Write a letter to Porsche? Obviously, they're incompetent or even worse (and more likely) swindlers...

I feel like someone should be told about this. Although, I'm not sure what good it will do.

DL

DL:

I think you are being generous when you surmise that they might just be incompetent. I doubt that they don't know this aspect of such a common area as a brake job.

Please use the correct terminology. Not "swindlers", but rather "stealers". It has broader usage in its application to some dealers. ;)

I'b be curious to know what kind of response you might get from Porsche.

Regards, Maurice.

Edited by 1schoir

Before I would go to great extent on blaming someone, I would ascertain who I talked to at the "stealership". Sometimes you will get a parts guy who really is not expert on mechanical/service side of the car. Maybe there was a lack of communication with the person who may of thought that your were talking of replacing the pads, in which the "stealer" will tell you that you have to replace the pads and sensors, which is Porsche's official stand (however, not true, unless the sensor has been broken by low pads..they can be reused). Most of the time there is two sides to every story. Not a big fan of stealerships, but in the spirit of being fair...... since this happens all the time.

• 4 weeks later...

I replaced my front brake pads today! Was pretty straightforward, easiest car I've done brake work on :) The dash light was on, so I bought one replacement brake wear sensor, but none had worn through? The left-front was showing some copper, but still intact. I broke it in half removing it (lesson learned: push back the pads *before* yanking the sensor!) , but I assumed since it was intact that the OTHER was worn through, and so reinstalled it. Got to the other side, and discovered that sensor to be pretty much pristine.

The dash light went out when I replaced the pads. (Why was it lit before if it wasn't worn through?) Should I tear the left-front wheel apart and replace the sensor, or is it fine like it is?

Edited by grover

Man, I couldn't afford to own a Porsche if I had to pay dealer labor!

Edit: ah nuts, just noticed the OP is in VA Beach, and the "stealer" in question is the one I'm stuck with, too. I've been able to avoid them so far, but I'm afraid one of these days something is going to break that will need specialized tools nobody else has access to.

Edited by grover

I couldn't even imagine taking my car into our local dealership. They are just not nice people - google David Ho in Vancouver sometime. Here's a typical headline from the local paper.

Well-connected Vancouver tycoon David Ho faces gun, drug and confinement charges

All that aside - +1 on jumpering the pad sensors. I changed my pads last time before the sensors wore out, but in my previous car I installed a new sensor in the right front, and jumpered the rest. I was getting a lot of false signals but after that if the light went on I knew it was time to check all of the pads. It's pretty easy to see what's up with the Carrera liteweights on.