Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

moisture in oil fill orifice

I just got my 2006 997s which I purchased sight unseen, from a dealer in Michigan. The car has 46,000 miles on it and is still under warranty. It looks flawless and drives very well, but I noticed that it was a bit low on oil so added a quart. When I removed the oil fill cap, I was surprised to see the milky white evidence of moisture and three or four drops of water-based fluid in the oil fill orifice. Is this normal??

Thanks!

I have seen the same thing the 3 years and 60k miles I have owned my car. However, it only shows up in cold weather. I assume there are some oil vapors that fill the pipe and when it reaches the outermost point it condenses into that goo. Mine is yellowish/white. Kind of like snot consistency. NO ISSUES to worry about. Enjoy your car.

I just got my 2006 997s which I purchased sight unseen, from a dealer in Michigan. The car has 46,000 miles on it and is still under warranty. It looks flawless and drives very well, but I noticed that it was a bit low on oil so added a quart. When I removed the oil fill cap, I was surprised to see the milky white evidence of moisture and three or four drops of water-based fluid in the oil fill orifice. Is this normal??

Thanks!

I think that one way that you could put your mind at ease would be to clean out the milky white substance and the drops of water, then take a nice long drive and see if you get a different result.

Then, if you make some short trips, check it again and see if the moisture problem reappears. If so, that should put your mind at ease.

If that is the case, it's because the condensation will have had a chance to burn off as the engine stays in the operating temperature range for an extended period of time during the long drive.

Regards, Maurice.

Thanks!

I think that one way that you could put your mind at ease would be to clean out the milky white substance and the drops of water, then take a nice long drive and see if you get a different result.

Then, if you make some short trips, check it again and see if the moisture problem reappears. If so, that should put your mind at ease.

If that is the case, it's because the condensation will have had a chance to burn off as the engine stays in the operating temperature range for an extended period of time during the long drive.

Regards, Maurice.

I understand that short trips that don't allow the engine to reach normal op temp cause this problem. What I don't understand is where the moisture is coming from in the first place ? Oil and water don't mix and the oil and coolant systems are separate from each other. Is this caused by the "boxer" engine design of the engine ?

Water vapor is a natural product of hydrocarbon combustion.

The combination of blow-by and piston ring wipe down of the cylinder wall is where you get condensation build up.

The whole "not bringing the engine up to temperature" thing is where the water really collects in the sump.

As Maurice said, take a little longer trip.

If it persists in it's present quantity, change your oil more often.

BD