Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Replaced aluminum look with wood

Well, I must have too much time on my hands! Since upgrading the interior of my '04 C4S Cab with various aluminum look parts and adding a rear center console in midnight blue several months ago, I discovered a place in Florida which creates high quality wood (look) interior modifications. Since I still had all the original (plastic or leather-covered) parts for my car, I decided to take a chance on having them turned into bird's eye maple (similar to the light wood option from Porsche). Now that it's all done, I'm on the fence. The quality of the finish is exceptional, and there is a marine-grade clear coat. The cost was quite reasonable. What do you guys think?

post-1837-1099779797_thumb.jpg

post-1837-1099780127_thumb.jpg

post-1837-1099780486_thumb.jpg

Edited by bavarian

With gray?

I have to admit that I only lived with the "wood" trim pieces for 24 hours. I just hated the contrast with my grey leather. It is amazing how a rear console replacement which took over 1 hour the first time could be swapped out in 15 minutes by the third time!

Here is what I'm (happily) back to:

post-2-1100099627.jpg

What was the name of the company in Florida?

Where are they located?

Their website is http://www.classictrimwtp.com/index.html

The contact person is Keiron at kng0309@aol.com . What I found interesting is their ability to also create carbon fiber and aluminum look at competitive prices. I have no relationship with this company, but my experience was very favorable.

Bayern,

Do you still have the old alum parts? PM me.

Chris

I'm sorry to disappoint, but since I came to my senses and replaced the "wood" with my original aluminum pieces (and the blue console) the only thing I'm selling is the wood look-alike stuff. It is listed on Ebay. I appreciate the interest.

• 3 months later...
Well, I must have too much time on my hands! Since upgrading the interior of my '04 C4S Cab with various aluminum look parts and adding a rear center console in midnight blue several months ago, I discovered a place in Florida which creates high quality wood (look) interior modifications. Since I still had all the original (plastic or leather-covered) parts for my car, I decided to take a chance on having them turned into bird's eye maple (similar to the light wood option from Porsche). Now that it's all done, I'm on the fence. The quality of the finish is exceptional, and there is a marine-grade clear coat. The cost was quite reasonable. What do you guys think?

Can you give me a rough idea what the FL company charged for the wood treatment on the center console? I'm assuming the carbon fiber treatment would be roughly the same. Thanks.

It looks like they are doing water transfer printing. If you've seen any cellphones with patterns, images, ect printed on them, this is how they do it. It give a great finish for a fraction of the cost of real wood veneer. Here's a link on how the process works.

http://www.watertransferprinting.com/how.htm

If they used another method to refinish your pieces, let me know as I'd be interested in how they are doing it.

Wow what a difference. Personally, I think that wood always looks trashy/plastic unless its real wood. I remember my old Triumph that had walnut and the talking piece was the "real wood" interior. I just don;t think a Porsche deserves plastic wood. Also think that with gray it looks awful. Glad you went back to your old interior. That looks classy.

With gray?

I have to admit that I only lived with the "wood" trim pieces for 24 hours. I just hated the contrast with my grey leather. It is amazing how a rear console replacement which took over 1 hour the first time could be swapped out in 15 minutes by the third time!

Here is what I'm (happily) back to:

post-2-1100099627.jpg

I think the wood trim pieces were nice looking but the contrast with the gray interior was off as you said...BUT...what you did in this pic looks GREAT!...

Jim

A darker finish would have looked good I think. Rosewood or something darker. It would have contrasted the color of the interior quite well.

This company provides the supplies for creating all type of finishes, including a new process for mirror like spray on chrome.

http://alsacorp.com/index.htm

I was looking at some of their products to refinish the soft touch rubber finish interior on my '94 Corvette a few years ago.

As long as you don't 'rice' it out chrome or any other type of finish would compliment the interior quite well.