Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Ims Bolts And Cap Upgrade

I did this upgrade on my 2000 last year. It included the IMS flange with the new seal, the three bolts that hold the flange and three or four bolts for the crankcase. It cost about $67 from Sunset as I remember. the only thing it really does is improve the seal if you have a leak. It does not really effect the bearing itself.

At the time I was working on fixing the intermix/cracked head, which everyone had told me could not be done. That I would have to replace the engine. Not being sure that the fix would work I did not want to spend another $700. Also in spring of 09 they were still working on the tool for extracting a dual row bearing. Now that the car is fixed (5,000+ miles on the fix) I wish the tool had been readily available and I had done the bearing upgrade.

Probably will do it in the next few months. I did the flange, removed the outer seal and checked the bearing which seemed good. I talked to Charles at LN recently and he said that if I removed the seal and checked the bearing he would advise pouting in a magnetic drain plug and then watching for any metal which a bad bearing would shed. With the seal on any fragments would be contained but with it removed the should show up on the magnetic plug. However I think I will do the upgrade soon as I only see the drain plug every 5,000 miles or so.

You can write volumes on the intermediate shaft bearing problems, and still not figure out what causes the exact problem. I have some ideas about this, but I wrote about 3000 words on the Pelican forum. The bottomline - I don't think that anyone really knows what causes this failure. I'm not a huge fan of removing the seal - I think that if the seal is removed you are introducing an environment to the bearing that it wasn't designed for. I studied bearing design when I was at MIT, but I can't quite remember much (that was about 15 years ago now), so take that at face value.

To answer your question, the center bolt is not replaceable unless you remove the bearing. Even then, it's not available as a separate part from Porsche, and the stock center nut is a bit weak due to the recess cut for the o-ring.

-Wayne