Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

engine removal for 2003 tip to do IMS?

I saw 2 posts on Rennlist yesterday that said for a 2002 and newer tiptronic 996's that the engine must be dropped to replace the IMS bearing.

I am expecting my IMS bearing today from LN and was hopefull to install it myself thinking that I could just drop the transmission to install it. All posts I have read in the past have stated that they just dropped the trans, not the engine untill yesterday...

Any info would be appreciated, as I don't think I am ready to drop the engine & trans. myself as my first DIY on this car.

Thanks- John

• Moderators

I saw 2 posts on Rennlist yesterday that said for a 2002 and newer tiptronic 996's that the engine must be dropped to replace the IMS bearing.

I am expecting my IMS bearing today from LN and was hopefull to install it myself thinking that I could just drop the transmission to install it. All posts I have read in the past have stated that they just dropped the trans, not the engine untill yesterday...

Any info would be appreciated, as I don't think I am ready to drop the engine & trans. myself as my first DIY on this car.

Thanks- John

No, you do not need to drop the engine, just the trans. Have you done one of these before? Is yours a three chain or five chain engine (Pre or post 2003)? This more than just about swapping parts.................

Edited by JFP in PA

• Moderators

That is ridiculous………….. Pulling the gear box (on a lift with all the necessary tools) is a couple of hours job. Granted, the Tip complicates the process a bit, but I have no idea what they are going to be doing for 20 hours………..

• Moderators

Counting their money?:offtopic:

Wow 20 Hours,

you can pull it -- and be down to the crank and start putting

it all back together long before 20 hours :-)

mike

That's what I was thinking Mike, if I had a tech take 20 hours to do an IMS/RMS retread, he wouldn't be working here very long............... One thing you need to be cognizant of is that most dealerships still think you have to “split the cases” on all IMS jobs, which is obviously not the case.........a bad pun to say the least.........

• Moderators

I would like to remind you that it is not possible to remove a Tiptronic gearbox separately without silly things to do on a 996 with M.B. Tiptronic. On a 996 with a Z.F. Tiptronic on the other hand, there is no problem at all.

RFM can you tell me the silly things I have to do to remove the trans. only? Car is on jack stands with alot of stuff removed in hopes of a person like you responding that actually knows why this can't be done.

I am on 3 different forums trying to learn how to attempt this- you are the first one to possibly say you may know the problems in pulling the MB tip of the 2003 carrera.

I was told indirectly from a porsche tech something about the torque converter bolts. Can not learn more since tech is on vacation.

I am willing to do silly things to remove it without removing the engine- wouldn't be the first time I did something silly!

Thanks- John

Edited by johonole

RFM is correct on this one. The ZF which was installed from 99 to 01 is readily removable from the car without removing the engine. The Mercedes Benz auto which was used from 2002 to current 997s even is another story entirely. The ZF trans bolts directly to the engine case. The MB trans uses a bell housing adapter plate between the engine and trans which makes separating the trans with the motor still in the car practically impossible.

Practically.

One of the problems you will run into is being able to secure the torque converter to the transmission as there is not enough room between the transmission and the body to insert the factory tool for this. So the torque converter will probably come out just enough to dump all of its ATF all over. The main problems with this are... ATF is #1 messy and #2 costly and #3 kind of a pain for a shadetree mechanic to top off correctly (you'll need a durametric at the least). Also getting to the screws which hold the transmission to the bell housing adapter is what is going to be silly. Get all of your wobble, universals and extensions ready because there is absolutely no room, even with the engine lowered. I know several technicians that have tried this once and sweared never to do it again.

Edited by PTEC

Thank you Ptech & RFM, I now see the light. I will now start reading the pulling the engine section of the work shop manual.

This is my first DIY on the car, so I feel a little like I do when I am about to get off the plane in Las Vegas. Hope it turns out a little better than those trips.

John

Got a post on Rennlist that said an ATV jack from Harbor Freights works well so I'm on my way!

Still could use any info on the Mercedes tiptronic- my shop manual has nothing on it.

John

Edited by johonole