Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

would you take this bet?

My freind just bought a 2011 mini cooper S john works edition. being a current race driver for the Gulfsport Radical Cup in dubai and the Radical European masters series, he's placing a bet with me that he can beat my 03 C4S around the track.

now i'm not a race driver, but i've had my share of track days, and when we went karting a couple of time he was around 5 seconds faster in the same kart...

Question is, do you reckon it's possible for me to beat him to the prize of $500 ??

Check out Youtube for videos of this same matchup.

I asked a friend who has driven both cars, he said on a short track the better "Race driver" will probably win on a head to head (not the same as timed runs), regardless of which of the cars he drives. (this guy beat two guys in BMW M3 on our local track in his pickup truck)

His mantra is that you probably make a better investment buying $1000 worth of professional instruction and track time than you do buying $ 1000 worth of upgrades for your car. After that, his advice is be careful with your car... bragging and talking trash is cheaper than spinouts and repairs.

Here is a video of a German Motorcar magazine match between a modded old mini vs a carrera S. After showing off the modded Mini vs a new Mini S, a very good driver in the Mini keeps up with a good lady driver (this girl Sabine is probably better driver than most of us guys...) driving the Carrera S all through Nordschlieffe, that is.... up to where the track becomes straigtaways... then its auf wiedersen small-fry

I am not talking up the Mini, just making it obvious that good driving is much more important than extra horsepower.

Edited by Loren
made video viewable here

I am a PCA driving instructor and last month one of my students came to the track with a late model Mini Cooper S, one with a turbocharger. I drove it a couple of laps and then sat with the student as he drove sessions for the rest of the day. I was impressed with the Mini's track performance. It did a very respectable job; however, it would be no match on our long track for my 2003 C2. Not even close.

I am a PCA driving instructor and last month one of my students came to the track with a late model Mini Cooper S, one with a turbocharger. I drove it a couple of laps and then sat with the student as he drove sessions for the rest of the day. I was impressed with the Mini's track performance. It did a very respectable job; however, it would be no match on our long track for my 2003 C2. Not even close.

Very interesting, thanks a lot guys... well here is the link to the track layout.

http://www.dubaiautodrome.com/general/trkinfo.aspx

it has two long straights which my friend has admitted might be a disadvantage for the mini. anyways the dates are set - 24th september.

we'll see what an amatuer driver (Moi) can do against a proper racing driver...

• 3 weeks later...

Well here are the final lap times:

My C4S 2:54.63

Mini Cooper Works 2:48.82

i was beaten by 6 seconds... i'm not very disappointed noting he knew the track like the back side of his hand... important part is i loved every corner i tackled with my car, and i must highlight i was being careful by braking early and not very hard, and by not notching the gears too fast....

Thanks for reporting back to us. If you want to beat him the next time, do not invest first in upgrades to your car. Invest in driver upgrade by taking high-performance driving lessons. I mean this honestly and not as a put-down to you. Many people who are not well accustomed to track driving think that if they just add something else to their car it will make them go faster. It might, but I really believe that yor C4S already has the capacity to beat this guy's Mini Cooper Works. Find someone who can teach you the ropes on this track and watch your times go down. The fact that you said that you were not braking deep, etc. tells me that you and your car have the capacity to go much faster. Look at it this way, learning to drive faster and safer is a lot of fun, even if you don't beat him!

• 2 weeks later...

I can't agree enough on the recomendation(s) for driver instruction. Years ago, I used to autocross almost every weekend in Columbus, Ohio, with different clubs. One weekend, Paul Dickinson drove up from W. VA to compete in his 911E (then a current model). He bested the local hotshot in his 911S by 6 seconds. Local hotshot filed a protest. Paul got in the hotshot's car and beat the hotshot by 4 seconds (while everyone else was working to beat each other by a few tenths). Instruction makes you faster, safer, smoother, easier on your car and you won't be one of the young guys trying to add crap to his car to make up for poor technique.

Edited by RF5BPilot