Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Instruments started flickering when driving

Hi

I was on the road today, 2001 Boxster S automatic (60XXXmiles) when all of a sudden I got a CEL, then every other warning light started flicking on. Then the AC and radio went on and off. The Instrument gauge was next to start flickering too and I noticed the trip odometer reset to O. RPM stayed stable (no spikes or rough idling). I was stopped at a red light so I decided (in all my brilliance) to shut the engine off and restart it to see what would happen. <--- BIg mistake. Car would not restart...*click click click* and instrumet panel would flutter to life then shut down like the battery is dead or something.

I had the car towed. Also did I mention I was stopped at a red light when my car will not restart. Needless to say when the light turned green I had plenty of ppl give me the finger on their way around me despite I had my hazards on immedietly.

What does everyone think happened? I had a new battery put in last year. I'm thinking...the alternator? maybe starter? Maybe even sparkplugs since I never changed them at the 60000 mile maintance.

Any and all help is appreciated.

Battery most likely

Power connection loose at engine?

Possibly alternator short?

Mike

Hi

I was on the road today, 2001 Boxster S automatic (60XXXmiles) when all of a sudden I got a CEL, then every other warning light started flicking on. Then the AC and radio went on and off. The Instrument gauge was next to start flickering too and I noticed the trip odometer reset to O. RPM stayed stable (no spikes or rough idling). I was stopped at a red light so I decided (in all my brilliance) to shut the engine off and restart it to see what would happen. <--- BIg mistake. Car would not restart...*click click click* and instrumet panel would flutter to life then shut down like the battery is dead or something.

I had the car towed. Also did I mention I was stopped at a red light when my car will not restart. Needless to say when the light turned green I had plenty of ppl give me the finger on their way around me despite I had my hazards on immedietly.

What does everyone think happened? I had a new battery put in last year. I'm thinking...the alternator? maybe starter? Maybe even sparkplugs since I never changed them at the 60000 mile maintance.

Hi

If it was only the alternator, you probably would have only gotten the "battery" icon to light up by itself at first.

A more likely cause of the symptoms you describe is the ignition switch, and more specifically the electrical portion of the ignition switch. A common fault in recent vintage Porsches.

Do a search here and you will see lots of similar issues caused by a faulty ignition switch.

The "tick-tick-tick", indicating an almost dead battery is a little puzzling, unless there was a bad connection.

Regards, Maurice.

Hi

If it was only the alternator, you probably would have only gotten the "battery" icon to light up by itself at first.

A more likely cause of the symptoms you describe is the ignition switch, and more specifically the electrical portion of the ignition switch. A common fault in recent vintage Porsches.

Do a search here and you will see lots of similar issues caused by a faulty ignition switch.

The "tick-tick-tick", indicating an almost dead battery is a little puzzling, unless there was a bad connection.

Regards, Maurice.

Thanks for the responses.

Is the top portion of the ignition swith the electrical part or the mechanical part?

Cause I had a sticky ignition and the dealership changed out the top part last year (not the whole revised one piece stalk, just the top)

I second Loren and txholkie4lifr, Bad electrical connection. I'd start at the batterry although I've run my car with the ground strap completely off and don't recall the any thing going batty. Your click click is clasic low battery or bad ground (ground on battery is very susceptible to corrosion) but really shouldn't freak your dash out. Lorens theory might explain that better, it could also be down stream at a solenoid too.

Regards, PK

I second Loren and txholkie4lifr, Bad electrical connection. I'd start at the batterry although I've run my car with the ground strap completely off and don't recall the any thing going batty. Your click click is clasic low battery or bad ground (ground on battery is very susceptible to corrosion) but really shouldn't freak your dash out. Lorens theory might explain that better, it could also be down stream at a solenoid too.

Regards, PK

Just a follow-up.

I once forgot to tighten the power connector that comes from the front of the car to the top of the engine.

It worked fine most of the time, but every now and then it would not start -- click click click. You could jump it and get

it to run.

But since the connection back and forth to the battery was weak -- you would not get a good charge either way

so the battery would run down -- and then it couldn't arc enough to start the car -- etc. And yes it was ARCing --- yikes!

If you had any service work in/around the engine -- that is a possibility. Sits on the front middle (slightly driver side) top of the engine.

10mm if I remember correctly.

It's now on my ever growing check off list.

Mike

The electrical part is on the back side of the ignition switch.

So it wouldn't be part of what they replaced at the dealership?

I found the part on Suncoast, this is what they replaced: http://www.suncoastparts.com/product/AUDI4A0905849B.html?Category_Code=986Keys

I'll go reinstall a new battery and see if that does the trick. Mechanic is still working on pulling the codes for the CEL

*update*

The mechanic just called and said it was the charging system and he charged the battery. I have to have him explain it better to me in person.

Edit* said the CEL was a P0562

hmmm

So about the bad connection, could the battery have a bad connection to the alternator?

Edited by cbbepop