Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

So I was dismantling the plastic bits and pieces of the trunk tonight, and I came across 2-3 bundles of cables that have nothing attached to them.

I thought I'll post the pictures here, and see whether the experts here can tell me what they're for.

Hopefully something cool like iPod connectivity etc..

The car is a 2003 996 C4 Cab, RHD, UK spec.

post-61448-0-45290500-1291014261_thumb.j

Edited by 318touring

So I was dismantling the plastic bits and pieces of the trunk tonight, and I came across 2-3 bundles of cables that have nothing attached to them.

I thought I'll post the pictures here, and see whether the experts here can tell me what they're for.

Hopefully something cool like iPod connectivity etc..

The car is a 2003 996 C4 Cab, RHD, UK spec.

post-61448-0-45290500-1291014261_thumb.j

cables look like they work with the seat motors to control auto seat adjustment, and possibly headed seat connectors. the computer is under the drivers seat, and if any crucial cables were not properly attached I would think the car would neither start nor run. You'll to check carefully with a wiring guide diagram I think. good luck

cables look like they work with the seat motors to control auto seat adjustment, and possibly headed seat connectors. the computer is under the drivers seat, and if any crucial cables were not properly attached I would think the car would neither start nor run. You'll to check carefully with a wiring guide diagram I think. good luck

I don't have electric seats (apart from the seat back), and my heated seats are working.

The car is working fine.

It would be helpful if you could list the factory electronic options. Does your car have NAV and phone? As your car is an 03 MOST-based system, the wiring is very different from the earlier vehicles. It is hard to tell from the photos, but as Loren suggested, the amp may have been removed. On my 2000 C4 cab, the amp is mounted vertically on the tub adjacent to the strut mount. The two clips in your photos are the same as my car and hold the CD changer.

They somehow don't look like Porsche connectors to me. Porsche loom tape is fabric, and that looks like plastic. The connectors in picture 2 look like they might be GPS connectors, but I don't know what they all are. I think Loren might be right about the amp being removed though.

Where do those two orange fibre optic cables go?

• Moderators

These cables are not OEM cables. They are probably either an aftermarket audio setup or a anti-theft tracking system that was removed. See if you can find out where they go in the cabin. I would suspect that the other end is in the center upper console. Since your car uses the MOST Bus for the stereo, the 2 small cables are probably fiber optic cables used for the CD changer or other audio device.

Thanks all for chipping in.

I thought the same too about some audio equipment that been removed. The stereo in the car sounds wonderful though while it's not Bose, it's sounds really good.

I haven't tried to trace the cables specifically, obviously they disappear into the next section through a rubber grommet next to the power steering unit.

Here's my spec sheet, and everything still works, except navigation. I can't get a disc for New Zealand as the car is too old for that. NZ discs are available only to 2005 and above system.

996 spec sheet.pdf

Edited by 318touring

They did do a navigation disk for Aus/NZ in 08.2007 iirc, but it now shows as not available. Might be worth trawling fleabay or trying to find someone with a copy.

You have/had the Harman sound package, which has similar connections to Bose. I expect the two cables I asked about go to the CD changer.

You have/had the Harman sound package, which has similar connections to Bose. I expect the two cables I asked about go to the CD changer.

Cheers for the clarification. I can't tell which audio system I have. Pulled out the right-rear speaker, and there is no audio manufacturer name at the back of the speaker. It only says Made In Germany.

My CD changer looks like the bog standard Alpine setup, with Porsche stamped on its door. And it still works.

As the car is UK spec I doubt there would be loads of people that have old Nav CD for Oz/NZ. Will be trawling fleabay though.