Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Boxster High Pitched Whine (with video)

Recently my 2003 Porsche Boxster has started to make a high pitched whine on startup that goes away in about 40 seconds. I've taken a video of the problem:

The noise sounds to be originating from the engine area and goes away on it's own. I have heard the same noise when going about 30 MPH, but not very often. What do you think this could be? AOS, belt, FAN, transmission, etc?

I am planning to take it into the shop soon but want some feedback so I can go in there somewhat educated.

Edited by Loren
made video viewable here

The secondary air pump would indeed be eligible for replacement, just as your tires shown in the video :o .

Thanks everyone! What should I expect to pay for a secondary air pump replacement at the shop?

I hadn't noticed just how bad the backs were until you said something about it. :(

• Admin

The secondary air pump would indeed be eligible for replacement, just as your tires shown in the video :o .

Thanks everyone! What should I expect to pay for a secondary air pump replacement at the shop?

I hadn't noticed just how bad the backs were until you said something about it. :(

Are you sitting down?

996.605.104.00 Air Pump -- US MSRP $1453.32

plus installation (should be 1 hour or less).

Try Sunset Imports (Porsche Parts at Dealer Prices) for a much better deal. This is a pretty simple DIY too.

I have the same noise but only when it is cold out. Looking on 986faq, it states the following. Is it inaccurate?

---------------------------

Diagnostic: Whine comes from the engine compartment for 30 seconds after starting the car when cold outside.

Cause: This is an air pump that helps the emission control system reduce the pollutants released into the atmosphere.

Details: This is normal, and no correction is necessary.

Time in Shop: None.

Repair Instructions: None.

Notes: None.

• Admin

I have the same noise but only when it is cold out. Looking on 986faq, it states the following. Is it inaccurate?

Diagnostic: Whine comes from the engine compartment for 30 seconds after starting the car when cold outside.

Cause: This is an air pump that helps the emission control system reduce the pollutants released into the atmosphere.

From the Porsche Service Information Book...

"If the engine is started in a temperature range between minus 10.5° C and plus 45° C, the secondary air system is activated for a period of time dependent on the start temperature (min. 50 seconds, max. 179 seconds).

The secondary air system is only activated if the following engine-related operating conditions apply:

• Engine load (TL) between 0.7 rns/rev, and 4.7ms/rev.

• Air mass (Ml) not greater than 300 kg/h

• Engine speed between 680 rpm and 2,800 rpm

• Altitude adaptation factor greater than 0.76,corresponding to less than 2,400 meters above sea level."

This could explain why I've just started hearing the noise. I live in Arizona, it doesn't usually get cold out. :)

• 8 months later...

I have the exact same symptoms in the video posted on this page. It recently started about two weeks ago.

I have 74k miles, 2001 Boxster, 2.7L, 5 spd. I plan on selling in about 10 - 12 months and I really don't plan on investing a lot of money when it comes time to sell. What happens if one neglects to repair the Secondary Air Pump? According to a lot of my research here, the noise is normal.

Has anyone heard or know about serious consequences from Secondary Air Pump failure?

I was under the impression that a whine when the air pump was running was normal. On a quiet exhayst car you can hear them much better. As long as it comes on when it is suppossed to and shuts off when it was suppossed to, let it run.

You probobaly are just noticing it because of the drop in temperatures lately.

• 5 weeks later...

I have this exact same issue. My 03 2.7 sounds exactly the same as the vid.

Has anyone had this noise last for a few years without needing to replace the pump?

Does anyone have any other info on what they actually paid to have this repaired? (Book costs and shop costs can vary. If someone actually paid to have this done, id be curious to know what they paid)

Thanks!

I have the exact same symptoms in the video posted on this page. It recently started about two weeks ago.

I have 74k miles, 2001 Boxster, 2.7L, 5 spd. I plan on selling in about 10 - 12 months and I really don't plan on investing a lot of money when it comes time to sell. What happens if one neglects to repair the Secondary Air Pump? According to a lot of my research here, the noise is normal.

Has anyone heard or know about serious consequences from Secondary Air Pump failure?

Emissions codes and an eventual CEL. I would look around for a used one if you are concerned.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Secondary air injection exists exclusively to raise your catalytic converter temperature as quickly as possible to reduce emissions. When the cats and O2 sensors are up to the proper temperature, it turns off. You will get a CEL if it fails, but it's not going to impact the drivability of the car if it fails. Shoot, it it wasn't for the CEL, I'd have removed mine just to drop the dead weight.

Boxsters don't directly measure much of the secondary air injection system; health is determined indirectly by O2 sensor data, which is accessible through OBDII. I've attached a plot of O2 sensor data starting my engine (3.2L) cold on a moderate day if anyone needs to compare with your readings.

post-24850-0-15760900-1325960360_thumb.p

Edited by grover